Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tahru

What was the best for SWG feature for you?

I think the music engine was pretty cool. I liked that you could compose for an entire band.  However, it was a little glitchy.

So what about SWG makes you long for another?

Resources.

By that, I mean the entire ecosystem around sampling, automated harvesting, random and never repeated resource generation, and so on.

Only Firefall ever attempted anything like that, and Firefall dropped that system eventually.

Even though I was mostly a Creater Handler and Bio-Engineer, I would put the list at:

[1] Housing System

[2] Resource / Crafting System (Including Bio-Engineer)

[3] Creature Handler + Pet system

[4] Skill-based Point Profession System

[5] many others...

Edited by rytz

I could name one the systems like others, but I feel it is more fitting to say this, as the best feature of Star Wars Galaxies was the fact the players drove mostly everything that occured. Each of the systems worked in harmoney, albeit dsyfunctional at times due to the nature that was SWG. Every aspect the game connected to one another. Everyone from the hardcore PvPer to a casual dancer in the cantina were connected and interacted in some way.

The best feature for me was what all of the individual features enabled, a world with cities that were alive with actual players. It was awesome that the Cantina actually had a use and the player driven economy was one of the best I have ever seen.

SWG had the best "meta" systems of any game I've ever played. By "meta," I mean all the non-combat activities, things that can keep you busy and interested and immersed within the game outside all the pew-pew.  I am confident that Crowfall will have very good systems as well, considering Raph Koster and Blixtev are involved with the development. Note: I played well after the NGE.

Resource spawning/harvesting

Player housing/decoration/setting up shops

All the crafting in general

Entertainer buffing system

Music/dance systems

Beastmaster/pet/mount incubation process (different than creature handler)

Reverse Engineering/attachment creation

Storyteller profession

Trying to find a competitive advantage keeping an eye on the vendor machines in-game and the server forums outside the game

Finally, AFK macros - obviously Crowfall won't have them and a lot of players hated them, but I found keeping one of my characters productively harvesting or looting while I was at work felt even more immersive to me. I would always jump in the game as soon as I got home to clean up my inventory or see how much of that awesome resource I had collected while I was away. 

My lineup would be (in no particular order)  :

• Player cities / housing in its entirety
  • Player Driven Economy
  • The outstanding PVP, and the politics that came with it. 
  • BH / Jedi system. I was a pre-cu jedi, but loved the on edge feeling of being hunted by a BH, or doing the hunting.
  • Limited lifespan of all items in game. This fueled my second bullet point. 
  • Varying item stats. The rarity for someone to have an item with the exact same stats.
  • Resources / Crafting 
  • Buffing system in its entirety.

For the record, I played on Eclipse :)

My lineup would be (in no particular order)  :

• Player cities / housing in its entirety
  • Player Driven Economy
  • The outstanding PVP, and the politics that came with it. 
  • BH / Jedi system. I was a pre-cu jedi, but loved the on edge feeling of being hunted by a BH, or doing the hunting.
  • Limited lifespan of all items in game. This fueled my second bullet point. 
  • Varying item stats. The rarity for someone to have an item with the exact same stats.
  • Resources / Crafting 
  • Buffing system in its entirety.

I never had the pleasure of playing SWG; it is the one game I have regrets not ever being able to play.  I know that I have personal experience with Shadowbane and EvE, but with out a doubt, I know that SWG would have been another game I would reference if I had played.

That is a great list, and I'm glad that the devs have first hand experience with SWG, because it should make CF that much better.

The 2 things from your list that I tend to hear about time and again are the crafting system, and how deep it was, and the player cities.  I really hope we can bring some of those unique and iconic RPG elements into CF.

I never had the pleasure of playing SWG; it is the one game I have regrets not ever being able to play.  I know that I have personal experience with Shadowbane and EvE, but with out a doubt, I know that SWG would have been another game I would reference if I had played.

That is a great list, and I'm glad that the devs have first hand experience with SWG, because it should make CF that much better.

The 2 things from your list that I tend to hear about time and again are the crafting system, and how deep it was, and the player cities.  I really hope we can bring some of those unique and iconic RPG elements into CF.

I've played my fair share of Eve as well. I've lost things as small as a tristan, and as big as a jump freighter (rhea) . That game comes close to giving me a heart attack at times, but it's a blast. 

I loved crafting androids. I was never good at it and never really learned how; i pretty much just amateur'd my way through it until i built two little floaty dudes with the weakest guns ever. The only things they could kill were like the lowest level mobs, but i was so proud of them when i saw them shoot their little guns and defend me.

Mining/crafting system. The great crafters were able to become famous because of the quality of their products which was a result of their ability to acquire the best rare resources. 

There were many things that I wanted to do that I never got a chance to do such as craft a mandalorian helmet at the DWB.

The early days of having a jedi character was special. This was when using your lightsaber in front of other players would get you listed on the bounty hunter terminal. Then the rush when a bounty hunter finally tracked you down and the risk of losing that precious xp. Very fun and challenging. 

The early days of having a jedi character was special.

I was so careful about running about in public.  There were rumors about permadeath and becoming a blue glowy; information was so sketchy back then, so I had no idea what really happened.  I carried around a spare set of clothes so I had a disguise to wear when entering populated areas.  Good times.

People expect me to say the crafting system and that would be my second favorite thing. My first place goes to the macro system. The macro system was so robust and intuitive that you could write full programs on them. My first program was an exploit of the bleed system which allowed you to use a pistol to apply a bleed effect on a creature and then swap to any other profession and gain experience for the kill. I put my character in a city with low level spawns, forced my character to spin it's camera, target the closest target, apply a bleed, swap professions and heal myself when I got below a certain percentage health. It became a pretty popular macro and they patched in an afk timer so I added a harvesting macro to the loop to keep myself logged in.

I wrote much more complex automation scripts for things like crafting and bio engineering later in the game but, eventually they had the food and combat updates and people were becoming literally immune to damage and the game stopped being fun for me.

To me, it was never about the unfair skill gains or power gaming aspect, it was about seeing if I COULD. To me the process of automation is fascinating and if ACE set me loose with an NPC tool I could probably make an AI that behaved just like a player. That system and the Razor macro tool for UO free shards were the first things that got me interested in programming.

I still download razor from time to time and log into some UO free shard to see if I trick their anti-afk systems. It's a profession in itself!

I think the Guild/Player City system was special with PVP bases.

Guilds could earn shuttle-ports to go from city to city where you shopped player NPC vendors and looked at all the player obtained looted goodies decorated throughout their homes/guild halls. These multiple cities on multiple planets felt like a revolving marketplace universe.

When you placed your order at the auction terminal (bazaar) you had to travel with your vehicle (swoop bike) to get to those higher ranking player made goods at those player cities/houses. But an established player city earned quick transport (shuttleports) to get there quicker. And large guild cities had multiple PVP bases with defense turrets showing how involved a guild was at earning PVP points.

PVP base blowing was always fun too.
oh, and Bounty Hunters (players) after you, was a great feeling of always being in danger.  (loose XP on death, and BH get ingame cash)

Edited by blackfirebird93