Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Large Castle = $600?

So that was a huge price jump, going from Large Fort to Large keep is $65, but a $500 (on-sale) price jump from Large Keep to Large Keep to Large Castle for one more mid sized town and 100K more Sq Meters? Seems a bit much of a price jump especially when crowdfunding for a game's production, wouldn't a price gap of $70-$100 fair better in getting more of the product actually purchased and also making it more available for those who can actually afford it?

Comments? Concerns?

Edited by Celevra

"Oh I'm sooooo gonna enjoy playing them Centaurs"

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Higher prices are typically meant to drive exclusivity.  You don't want your biggest and baddest structure to be easy to acquire (both with money and through in game play).  If everyone has one, they

In addition to this, remember that the large castle is also part of the $2500 emerald Kickstarter package... you do not want to invalidate their support by making their rewards worth less!

These are not designed to be individual structures. Their designed for guilds and communities to share and benefit from.   I don't appreciate the kind of extreme costs and sales associated with the

Higher prices are typically meant to drive exclusivity.  You don't want your biggest and baddest structure to be easy to acquire (both with money and through in game play).  If everyone has one, they aren't really a big deal anymore.

In addition to this, remember that the large castle is also part of the $2500 emerald Kickstarter package... you do not want to invalidate their support by making their rewards worth less!

Edited by Adall

Title: Large Castle = $600?

So that was a huge price jump, going from Large Fort to Large keep is $65, but a $500 (on-sale) price jump from Large Keep to Large Keep to Large Castle for one more mid sized town and 100K more Sq Meters? Seems a bit much of a price jump especially when crowdfunding for a game's production, wouldn't a price gap of $70-$100 fair better in getting more of the product actually purchased and also making it more available for those who can actually afford it?

Comments? Concerns?

Slight correction, the Large Castle is $800 and is sale for $599. It is also the 2015 version. The 2016 & KS may or may not have a price change however, it looks like we know the price range of the large ones.

I have no concerns about the price, though I do have concerns about ACE striking the right balance for their acquisition in game.  To not invalidate their cash store sales, they will need to keep them difficult to obtain in game (as GhostEye said).   Thus, they will need to strike the right balance between building costs, exports, and the Embargo rules to makes sure the flow of materials from the campaigns to EKs is adequate enough make things like this seem obtainable over a realistic period of time w/o devaluing the large upfront price paid by backers.  

My biggest concern is that due to harsh export rules, or general lack of interest in EKs, the flow of materials out of campaigns will be so meager as to make these structures unobtainable for anyone unwilling to drop the cash on them.  I will say though that J. Todd has given his assurances that they can adjust the flow of materials out of campaigns if necessary and I take the man at his word because he's been honest about everything else.  So no the price of any structure in the Store doesn't bother me, unless it becomes the only "feasible" means of obtaining said structures.

Luke I am your Uncle... Bob.  What, my sister Padmè never mentioned me?

If a castle is worth that much, then it should be by all accounts in game as hard to get as 6 Dreadnoughts are in EVE Online which have a real world value of around $100 each based on current PLEX prices.

So relatively speaking if we end up with a system like in Guild Wars 2 where we can exchange in game currency for premium currency and visa versa, much like you can exchange a $20 PLEX for 800 million ISK etc etc in EVE Online eventually in the game, we would be able to easily guess to the relative time and cost of things in this game.

In other words, it should take someone at least a month and Millions of Coin of the Relm worth of materials to build a castle "for free".  Now I say "for free" loosely because it still costs you.

There are two currencies in our world, the currency of value of goods and the currency of time.  Either way you'll be spending one of them, it's up to you which is more worth to you.  Pay a lot now, you support the developer, alternatively waste your life grinding for your castle, you get it for no expense, but in turn you spent months of your life gathering resources to build a castle worth the paycheck you get at the end of each week (assuming your wage is ~$20 US an hour and you work 6 days a week for 9 hours).

My hubris is the size of a 2 by 4 nailed to the side of a YF-12 jet barrel rolling into a volcano piloted by a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

I don't think it matters at all.  The castle isn't going to do anything to help the campaign.  It is a luxury feature and nothing more.  I am all for ACE raising money is this way.

SR8DSigTemp_Tahru.png

There are two currencies in our world, the currency of value of goods and the currency of time.  Either way you'll be spending one of them, it's up to you which is more worth to you.  Pay a lot now, you support the developer, alternatively waste your life grinding for your castle, you get it for no expense, but in turn you spent months of your life gathering resources to build a castle worth the paycheck you get at the end of each week (assuming your wage is ~$20 US an hour and you work 6 days a week for 9 hours).

I agree with you whole heartedly, but remember that in CF the "currency of time" takes on new meaning because campaign length is variable, lasting one to six months and no goods flow out of campaigns until they end; and the amount that flows out depends on the Export rules and the number of possible "winners".  So gauging how long something will take to earn in game can be very tricky, as there is no steady flow of materials, even for winners. 

Oddly enough, Embargos are individual while victory conditions are collective (faction, deity, or guild), so the number of "winners" (players allowed to export at the highest percentage) may swing widely from one campaign to the next.

I don't think it matters at all.  The castle isn't going to do anything to help the campaign.  It is a luxury feature and nothing more.  I am all for ACE raising money is this way.

That's certainly the view of many, but fortifications have a direct impact on the size of your EK, including the maximum concurrent occupants, which translates to greater commerce.  You might not care about EKs at all but they are supposed to be what incentivizes players to maximize their export; otherwise the materials (POI) you fight over in the Campaign world are meaningless.  I still don't mind that they are charging any amount, but am not so quick to dismiss it as a luxury feature.

Ruby comes with two castles, a medium and a small. If you credit both back you should be able to get a large and have change left over, based on the pattern of the smaller strongholds.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Pretty sure they aren't yet, and they said that they were taking back only certain items, so it's possible that castles are some of them.

They didn't say how much credits they would give back to players for their items, if it's the full store price, which I doubt, or a part of it.

Edited by courant101

I found it interesting, but not necessarily surprising that the 2015, KS and 2016 versions of packages amount to paint jobs.  What were KS stretch goals, are now simply the status quo.   It is interesting because it is more common to give earlier supporters an incentive to jump in early.  Some early supporters might even be surprised by it.  The equally interesting and positive spin is that it may be a sign that Crowfall is dedicated to laying an equal playing field for everyone.

As @Gilgamer corrected me above, it may be that some pledge levels or store purchases might impact the game play.  But it could be argued that there is nothing besides the paint job that cannot be achieved with a bottom level game purchase and some heart.  It is my hope and belief that this will not be another AA.

Edited by Tahru

SR8DSigTemp_Tahru.png

I may be wrong on this however eventually are not all building able to be made in time? So 600$ for a castle at the launch, or I can spend 3 months working up to making it.

If people want to spend that money go ahead, help crowfall. However if its to buy the ability to make a castle then..... :o    :angry:    :(

PvE is like water to my whiskey. Don't water down my whiskey.- Ronald Reagan

Don't be a custard gonzo.- Abraham Lincoln

I may be wrong on this however eventually are not all building able to be made in time? So 600$ for a castle at the launch, or I can spend 3 months working up to making it.

If people want to spend that money go ahead, help crowfall. However if its to buy the ability to make a castle then..... :o    :angry:    :(

I may be wrong on this but I highly doubt an individual will be able to earn a Castle in just 3 months.  The most you could win in that time-frame would be 3, one-month campaigns, but more likely you'd only have time to complete only one or two campaigns.  Higher tier stuff is supposed to require the rarer materials, so it's also likely that the materials required for a Castle will come from the harsher rule-set campaigns, where back to back wins will be even less likely.  Now, if you were a guild leader of a large guild and you happened to have a lot of success in some of the riskier campaigns, and your guildies consented to funnel a large portion of their individual Embargos to you, perhaps an individual could obtain a Castle so quickly. Castles will be earnable over time in game, but I'd wager it will take a long time (12 months +) to justify the high price tag.

I may be wrong on this but I highly doubt an individual will be able to earn a Castle in just 3 months.  The most you could win in that time-frame would be 3, one-month campaigns, but more likely you'd only have time to complete only one or two campaigns.  Higher tier stuff is supposed to require the rarer materials, so it's also likely that the materials required for a Castle will come from the harsher rule-set campaigns, where back to back wins will be even less likely.  Now, if you were a guild leader of a large guild and you happened to have a lot of success in some of the riskier campaigns, and your guildies consented to funnel a large portion of their individual Embargos to you, perhaps an individual could obtain a Castle so quickly. Castles will be earnable over time in game, but I'd wager it will take a long time (12 months +) to justify the high price tag.

3 months was an arbitrary number. As long as I can earn it through spending time that's all I need :)

PvE is like water to my whiskey. Don't water down my whiskey.- Ronald Reagan

Don't be a custard gonzo.- Abraham Lincoln