Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Celevra

Large Castle = $600?

Unless someone is violating the game's TOS in order to monetize his gaming activities, the real-world value of an EK stronghold is entirely subjective. Each person has his own definition of what fun is and his own valuation of how much he's willing to pay for 1 fun. So there's no objective way to say whether a castle is "worth" $600 other than observing whether people are willing to buy it at that price or not.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Subjectivity isn't a catch all excuse for obsurd features. If I can rationally compare the cost of an E-villa to a smart phone and all its features and benefits, plus a gaming PC, and all of those features, or say a PC and another game of superior quality and enjoyment, there's little competition.

I'm not saying they can't develop $600 worth of value, but pretending that subjectivity is a defense for bad business is nonsense. There's a sucker born every day, and people being scammed wittingly and unwittingly in every way imaginable, the game industry as a whole had embraced whale hunting and manipulation to make money, and it results in a lot of bad games which are designed around swindling players out of money instead of delivering quality content, and I'm not going to be deceived by some BS explanation.

Subjectivity and opinion are not nations divided from logic and wisdom, ever how many fools disagree or not >.<

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Subjectivity isn't a catch all excuse for obsurd features. If I can rationally compare the cost of an E-villa to a smart phone and all its features and benefits, plus a gaming PC, and all of those features, or say a PC and another game of superior quality and enjoyment, there's little competition.

I'm not saying they can't develop $600 worth of value, but pretending that subjectivity is a defense for bad business is nonsense. There's a sucker born every day, and people being scammed wittingly and unwittingly in every way imaginable, the game industry as a whole had embraced whale hunting and manipulation to make money, and it results in a lot of bad games which are designed around swindling players out of money instead of delivering quality content, and I'm not going to be deceived by some BS explanation.

Subjectivity and opinion are not nations divided from logic and wisdom, ever how many fools disagree or not >.<

i think its fine the way it is except for one needed change.... large castle should be something like 800x800 instead of 400x400,  its intended for a large guild to pitch in togethor to get ( or one wealthy individual) for a centralized guild type of ek. That being said... it only giving 100,000 x 1000 more then something 1/5 the price is absurd.

Such passion - wow - many anger.

"Offering a deal you don't like" is not a swindle, nor bad business, nor any kind of deceit. It's not anyone else's job to decide on your behalf what kind of purchases are best for you: it's your job as a competent adult human being to evaluate the available opportunities in light of your own personal needs and preferences. If buying a castle for $600 doesn't seem like a good idea for you, then don't buy it. Don't get mad, just don't buy it.

Someone else, in different economic circumstances or with different preferences from yours, can validly make different purchasing decisions. The fact that Alice buys a castle and Bob doesn't is not an indicator that either of them was tricked nor that either of them made the wrong decision.

You're absolutely right that for most people, the utility of a smartphone is significantly greater than the utility of a castle. On the other hand, if I already have a smartphone, the marginal utility of a second smartphone may well be less than the utility of a castle. I'm still not going to be buying a castle because $600 can do a lot of other things for me which provide more subjective utility to me than a castle does, but there are almost certainly at least a few people for whom the utility-maximizing choice of what to do with $600 is to buy a castle- in other words- people who have already done everything they can do with money which provides more personal utility to them than owning a castle will.

The purpose of offering castles for sale is not to trick people into making bad decisions with their money. The purpose is to offer value to those specific people for whom buying a castle actually is a good decision. If you're not one of those people, then you shouldn't buy the castle, and you shouldn't get mad at, or on behalf of, those who do.

Your vehemence is irrational and unjustified. Buy, or don't, and be OK with your own decision either way.

Edited by Jihan

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Individuals in a free market society can spend their money however they see fit. Unless you have a lot of extra disposable income, the larger strongholds like castles, citadels, and palaces seem as though they were designed with guilds in mind.  Wayward Sons, for example, group funded our large castle by taking donations from guild members.  We did this because we intend to play the EK side of the game as well as the CW side, so we felt like acquiring a castle gives us a competitive economic advantage.

Personally, I would never spend $100k on an automobile, but at the same time, I don't think Mercedes is evil for selling cars that expensive.

It's called supply & demand (aka. capitalism).  Macro-Economics 101.

Edited by Kason

By those standards, meth and cocain should be legally distributed, because hey ppl should be responsible.

Ppl are notoriously foolish, and supportive of bad qualities because their easily deceived, all the time. I'm not against luxuries, but it's obvious when game companies manipulate weak people into indulging in scams. The only difference between games and traditional companies is that there is a lack of effective exposure and judgement on these things.

I'm not particularly concerned that a game has such exaggerated products, except where they often dictate the quality of the game itself because the developer is motivated by it, and let's not be naive, it happens as often as possible.

These kinds of things can be abused, and can affect experiences outside of their participants. Maybe it won't be a problem here, nothing is Guarenteed.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

What do Meth and Cocaine have to do with buying a virtual castle in a video game? 

Congratulations on using an absurd example to make an invalid point.

What you call a scam .. I call a great buy.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

So now ACE has to market what they sell in ways that protect the "weak minded" ?

Liberalism at it's finest.

I actually like the price for this item. They SHOULD be hard to get, or you'll have to pay up with a big bag of gold.

Sure... I would love to have one, but imagine if if they sold them for like 40 bucks ... you would see castles everywhere and it wouldn't be so exclusive anymore.

Castles in EK don't give you an edge in the game as far as i know. Play hard & build 1 from scratch for free. 

By those standards, meth and cocain should be legally distributed, because hey ppl should be responsible.

Ppl are notoriously foolish, and supportive of bad qualities because their easily deceived, all the time. I'm not against luxuries, but it's obvious when game companies manipulate weak people into indulging in scams. The only difference between games and traditional companies is that there is a lack of effective exposure and judgement on these things.

I'm not particularly concerned that a game has such exaggerated products, except where they often dictate the quality of the game itself because the developer is motivated by it, and let's not be naive, it happens as often as possible.

These kinds of things can be abused, and can affect experiences outside of their participants. Maybe it won't be a problem here, nothing is Guarenteed.

You destroy your argument when you compare the use of illegal, very addictive, deadly drugs to a feature in a computer game, not that your argument had any merits to begin with.

94d3694d-21cd-461f-afe1-69b22f882477.jpg

Let's keep the philosophy and politics out of our gaming, or at least in the off topic section.  I think political discussion is against TOS and this is grazing if not crossing that line.  (P.S. Didn't report you because I think it's mean to do so without addressing things first).

• Use the service to discuss anything about real-world politics or religion as these topics are inherently divisive and not part of the game experience.
Edited by Corpsewake

PmnGhMD.jpg

í blóði er hefnd kvöl er ótta dýrð sorg ríkir

Let's keep the philosophy and politics out of our gaming, or at least in the off topic section.  I think political discussion is against TOS and this is grazing if not crossing that line.  (P.S. Didn't report you because I think it's mean to do so without addressing things first).

• Use the service to discuss anything about real-world politics or religion as these topics are inherently divisive and not part of the game experience.

Analogy != Real Topic.

This means, by your logic, that I could report you everytime you use an example outside of Crowfall-Universe, e.g. like talking about player mentalities, as this is psychology and politics in one.

Please, don't patronize other users, but if you do, at least use valid logic and not spoon bending mind tricks.

Analogy != Real Topic.

This means, by your logic, that I could report you everytime you use an example outside of Crowfall-Universe, e.g. like talking about player mentalities, as this is psychology and politics in one.

Please, don't patronize other users, but if you do, at least use valid logic and not spoon bending mind tricks.

I strongly disagree sir.  Saying parents should allow children to eat all the ice cream the kids want because they trust them to be responsible is an analogy.  Bringing up that drugs should be legal (or as implied by the poster, illegal) is politics.  Your straw-man rebuttal does not counter the standing argument.

There are entire parties that disagree with that fundamentally on a political basis.  Any counter argument I would make to his post, would be political in nature, thus, while a real world example is often helpful, this was discussing legality of a very heated issue. 

Your counter argument appears to dismiss my logic on a false dichotomy, and does also seem condescending in nature.  Additionally, the way I see it, my comment would only be condescending if the reader were one who identifies with reporting users liberally.  While there are those out there, it was not my intent to prove superiority.  I prefer not to involve the powers that be, and it was merely intended to be an expression of that view.  Having said that, I also don't appreciate getting heated when coming to a forum that should be (at least in regard to the real world) leisurely.

Edited by Corpsewake

PmnGhMD.jpg

I strongly disagree sir.  Saying parents should allow children to eat all the ice cream the kids want because they trust them to be responsible is an analogy.  Bringing up that drugs should be legal (or as implied by the poster, illegal) is politics.  Your straw-man rebuttal does not counter the standing argument.

There are entire parties that disagree with that fundamentally on a political basis.  Any counter argument I would make to his post, would be political in nature, thus, while a real world example is often helpful, this was discussing legality of a very heated issue. 

Your counter argument appears to dismiss my logic on a false dichotomy, and does also seem condescending in nature.  Additionally, the way I see it, my comment would only be condescending if the reader were one who identifies with reporting users liberally.  While there are those out there, it was not my intent to prove superiority.  I prefer not to involve the powers that be, and it was merely intended to be an expression of that view.  Having said that, I also don't appreciate getting heated when coming to a forum that should be (at least in regard to the real world) leisurely.

Discussing the legality of a drug when used as reference to drive home a point is not the same as discussing politics nor would it be against the Rules of Conduct.

Threatening to report someone would be though.

I think it's safe to say that there is some sort of language barrier in place given you're not from the States, and perhaps politics mean something different in your native tongue.

Personally, while I believe the price for the EK structure is a bit overpriced, Jihan summed it up best when saying that people will pay what they think it is worth.

[@--(o.O)@]

Discussing the legality of a drug when used as reference to drive home a point is not the same as discussing politics nor would it be against the Rules of Conduct.

Threatening to report someone would be though.

I think it's safe to say that there is some sort of language barrier in place given you're not from the States, and perhaps politics mean something different in your native tongue.

Personally, while I believe the price for the EK structure is a bit overpriced, Jihan summed it up best when saying that people will pay what they think it is worth.

I do see what you mean in the terms, and while I was not threatening, I admit to being accusing, and apologize, I should have considered how it could make him feel too.

In the future, I suppose I will be a good crow and run to the powers that be... :/

PmnGhMD.jpg

Also, his reply was not a straw man argument. Just saying. Yours was BTW....

I like to use fancy words and terms too, but when you're going to call someone out, do so with a little accuracy.

Also, why report someone for that? Why even bring up that you were going to? Seems extra childish.