Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Are you tapped out on fantasy?

Zomnivore

I had some thoughts that I was mulling over, and they're not quite formed enough to really plot out there, but I think I've got a general sentiment thats ready to be shared.

One of the reasons I was excited about this game, is because of the politics, and game of thrones.

Game of thrones is fantasy, but its not trade mark fantasy...its political fantasy.

For me the hunger represent a space in the game that could go thematically sort of enviornmental with an almost kind of dark souls level of atmosphere where you get area thematic hook towards subtle horror.

Then you've got the sort of item system, and a survival game level kind of looting, and now we're really building up an atmosphere thats worth paying attention to. Tension and consequence and danger.

So generally, fantasy really isn't doing it for me, on brunt alone. How about you? Whats got you hype?

What do you think the game could draw on for keeping the fantasy element fresh.

I kind of agree, not in it as much for the fantasy setting as I am the gameplay potential.  I actually prefer games that mix fantasy and sci-fi genres.  Like Shadowrun for instance, that is a great atmosphere.  It has familiar elements but combined in a way that feels unique and refreshing.

tbh GoT had me hooked but I've played a mobile game with political action for about 6-8 months called clash of kings and the only reason I played it that long was how interesting people were in certain situations, and the thing about GoT is betrayal and this game has it. I wanna experience it be part of it or even do it I know it makes me look bad in here but its just a game and these political decisions made a simple mobile game so interesting imagine how it would affect an MMO.

"Are you tapped out on fantasy?"

Oh hell no  :)

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

Just as long as its good content then I am content.

English language needs some work.

PvE is like water to my whiskey. Don't water down my whiskey.- Ronald Reagan

Don't be a custard gonzo.- Abraham Lincoln

Just as long as its good content then I am content.

English language needs some work.

This.  Also, the play-ability of the game.  I don't really care what universe/world it is set in as long as there is content and features that make me want to log in and play.

It is not fantasy that is this problem; it is delivery. 

No matter if you go zombies, aliens or sasquatch the backing is the same.  Quests will always be quests, grinds will always be grinds.

SR8DSigTemp_Tahru.png

I thought The Secret World was a great game as far as real-world setting and storytelling.  It was the game mechanics that were lacking for me.

Edit - Guess I should add - I'm not necessarily burnt out on fantasy, high fantasy, whatever; the setting of a game isn't what makes me decide if I will buy it or not.  I play because it's fun.  Traditionally, MMOs focus on and the successful ones are based on fantasy.  Games like The Secret World, Tabula Rasa and The Matrix Online aren't overly successful, in general.

Edited by teh_ninjaneer

Sorry you turned into a two-bit carebear whose feelings get hurt over forum banter.

Eve is doing ok though.

Everything I had heard made it sound like CCP was actually doing quite poorly and that eve was in decline....

http://massivelyop.com/2015/04/19/eve-evolved-how-many-subscriptions-does-eve-have/#comments

Not really hard evidence but food for thought...

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

I want a gritty, dark medieval fantasy.  Ala the Malazan series, or Black Company.

I am with you.  I tried another gritty PvP game recently but was infested with hackers like cockroaches.  It was beyond obscene.  I am not exaggerating which I say I joined world to have mobs rained on me from an opponent in the clouds.   I am sure that Crowfall will make sure not to let the hackers cheat to such a degree.

SR8DSigTemp_Tahru.png

I am with you.  I tried another gritty PvP game recently but was infested with hackers like cockroaches.  It was beyond obscene.  I am not exaggerating which I say I joined world to have mobs rained on me from an opponent in the clouds.   I am sure that Crowfall will make sure not to let the hackers cheat to such a degree.

GW definitely understands how crippling hackers can be to a game...

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir