Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zomnivore

Are you tapped out on fantasy?

I'd never be tapped out on fantasy, I love fantasy, from low to high.

What I am tapped out on is the generic Everquest Clone with a slapped on "Extra" to sell what is otherwise a generic Everquest clone.  I played World of Warcraft for years, I quit that game;  So it's very obvious if I wanted to play another MMO like that, I'd just go back to the one I had investment in prior, rather than another one like it.  Crowfall fits well in tune with the sort of MMO I'm interested in playing these days, especially since I am older, more bitter and seek a different flaviour to that of a sandbox that never changes, I mean, I love EVE Online, but even after the recent sov changes, Most of Null sec remains the same as it always has for the last 5 years;  Same people still control all the most profitable parts of null for the past 5 years, all the semi-profitable zones are constantly being fought over by young alliances, then the old alliances get bored, go down and crush them then leave and go back to their own space and new alliances come in to replace them.

It's stupid.

What crowfall offers is a sandbox with variety, it isn't just one or two PvP gameplay options, it's every single one, from faction verse faction to guild verse guild to free for all and it's all seasonal too, which is fantastic.  This is the sort of game I want to play these days, tired of generic MMOs with one or two selling gimmicks which ultimately do not override how bland or boring the rest of the game is.

My hubris is the size of a 2 by 4 nailed to the side of a YF-12 jet barrel rolling into a volcano piloted by a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

Totally agree with the above.

Also as mentioned it could be zombies, nuclear war, or princess buttercup...

We just need good stories.

Crowfall is trying some new things. I expect there to be challenges and growing pains. I just hope in today's fickle market it can survive and flourish because I think there is so much potential... high fantasy and all :) .

0f678e9787b873074149c019e1245cc58ac62d89

Not really. I think what turned me off to many new MMO's is that PVP always seemed to be the sideline. An afterthought thrown in compared to the PVE content. I loved EVE but that's because of it's meta not because of it's gameplay which can best be described as Microsoft Excel in space.

Regardless of genre, I want more control in combat then EVE but still keeping the down dirty politics and wars that EVE had.

I prefer swords & sorcery. Some weird fiction or sci-fi elements are always welcome. This is why I like fantasy literature before the time everyone went crazy about Tolkien. I'm more into Clark Ashton Smith, Michael Moorcock, Robert E. Howard, Roger Zelazny, Jack Vance, Fritz Leiber.

I've been tapped out on high fantasy for a long time. Unfortunately, no decent low fantasy or scifi mmos have been made in a long time. There's a lot of bad scifi, but nothing worth investing a lot of time in, unfortunately. And low fantasy? Good luck finding something you want to play.

So I'm tapped out on high fantasy, but I have no options.

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

First of all the OP question is very personal so it will always vary from individual to individual based on their age, prior experiences, personalities etc.

In my case, I am not tapped out, I love fantasy. Fantasy is such a wide scenario, you can design almost anything in it, the theme is just as good as the content. You can have darker fantasy, you can add some Sci-fi or steam punk in the mix without ruining it. But Crowfall isn't a movie, there are no quests or plots made by devs. So really the Fantasy element here is just providing the general visual of the game and theme for the classes, which influences little of the game. The mechanics themselves enabling players to create their own content are what will make or break the game, the fact that it is on a fantasy setting has a minor influence IMO.

KjUVOZg.png

Guild Leader/ High Elder

I prefer swords & sorcery. Some weird fiction or sci-fi elements are always welcome. This is why I like fantasy literature before the time everyone went crazy about Tolkien. I'm more into Clark Ashton Smith, Michael Moorcock, Robert E. Howard, Roger Zelazny, Jack Vance, Fritz Leiber.

Ah yes, may pop culture never corrupt the true greats.

Edited by Psyctooth

My hubris is the size of a 2 by 4 nailed to the side of a YF-12 jet barrel rolling into a volcano piloted by a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

I enjoy high fantasy, but personally I think George RR Martin's level of fantasy is perfect. It's very subtle and doesn't constantly nag you about magic and fairies and orcs. In the Song of Ice and Fire books, the magic is there and prevalent, but the focus is mainly on the human interactions. With Crowfall they seem to be trying to "copy" lots of different sources, to somehow make it there own. It's not entirely Game of Thrones, not exactly Walking Dead, it's a good variety of about (I'd say 10 MMOs), so it will find a balance at some point. The good news is, I like GoT, I like Walking Dead, I liked Todd Coleman's past games, so honestly, this is like my dream lovechild.

The reason I think (I should go to bed) Crowfall pulls it off is because when they tossed it all in the blender, what they made is a tasty smoothie.  From what I've seen of it so far, it seems to work.  Though to the extent I won't know till I play the game ...

whilest other games I find very jarring experiances.  The whole "fantasy classes/weapons/armour in space" thing in Skyforge and Wildstar plucks a string in my head which makes me feel very uncomfortable; I'm not saying they are bad games, I just personally don't like games that take things out of context completely without presenting it in a way that is contextually relevant and appealing.  For example, the melee weapons in Warhammer 40 000 don't jarr me at all, because the way they present them doesn't seem out of place at all.  Same is said for Unreal.  I honestly don't think I would of felt jarred if the immortal and god thing if the armour and weapons  were done in a more easily processible way for me, where it made sense to the settings, lore and world around it.   Like how it's done in Warframe or how it's done in Final Fantasy, it makes sense, the overall thematic scope of all the art of the game right down to the melee weapons and classes makes sense to be there.  Instead it looks like someone pulled the weapons and armour right out of a completely unrelated fantasy game like Aion and threw them into a Romanesque Techo-Olympus.  Where are the Techo-Roman themes?  Talk about disjointed art ...

While in games like Wildstar they do not make sense being there, to me it seems like they decided to go with generic fantasy classes in a Sci-Fi MMO rather than bother coming up with more interesting classes.  An absolutely perfect example of classes done right in an MMO (now don't get mad at me ex-SWG fans, I know your pain) would be Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic.  The melee focused Bounty Hunter tank is a work of pure genius, why?  

Because he uses a melee weapon in the form of a flamethrower and utility glove combined with a ranged weapon offhand, I really enjoyed playing that class.  Also as far as doing melee, the way they did Jedi was great, Jedi is an example of fantasy like combat not being jarring in a Science fiction game.

This is just entirely my own view on it, I tend to pick my games based on what I enjoy and I avoid games that make me feel repulsed.  Oh and the colour pallet of Wildstar really really bothered me, super saturation belongs in the 90s and should stay in the 90s, it simply just doesn't work in high poly games, it's an eyesore imo.  I like the colour pallet in Crowfall way better.

For me a game has to "feel right" when I play it, it has to make me dispense disbelief, feel like I am exploring a world and being a part of it and it makes sense I am a part of it, makes sense what I am wearing in it and makes sense the class I am playing in it.  And the most successful MMOs are really good at doing this, Final Fantasy 14 is great at doing this. World of Warcraft is great at doing this, EVE Online is great at doing this.  While most others I've played seem to just go though the motions while you're not sure why your class exists or it's relevance to the game world, let alone the armour they have equipped or the weapons they own.

Edited by Psyctooth

Tastes mature with age, when you were six, Pete's Magic Dragon and animated King Auther were fascinating, when you were 10 Legend of Zelda had an interesting narrative.

When your 30 you'd rather have a fantasy graduated with grit and depth, like Witcher and Game of Thrones. The super overblown figures from Final Fantasy and Dragon Ball Z aren't as interesting as they were at 18.

It's still fantasy, it's just done with respect for an older audience.

Edited by bahamutkaiser

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Not at all.

There are three types of fantasy games I'm still waiting for and will play:

1.  Fantasy game that is a true equivalent to EVE, with deep harvesting/crafting/market systems, persistent conquerable territory, and excellent guild/clan systems.  For some reason nobody has tried to make this game.  Crowfall is close, but it still is based on short term campaigns that somewhat reduces the political intrigue present in a persistent campaign like you see in EVE.  If the Eternal Kingdoms had a greater meeting or were part of the conflict, then this might be closer.

2.  A hybrid of DAOC/Shadowbane/SWG.  This is closer to where Crowfall is falling in terms of my tastes for games.  I love team-based PVP.  I like being able to build up cities/houses (EK), although I do wish the EKs were more tied to some sort of persistent world of conflict and not instanced.

3.  For my PVE tastes, a remake of EQ1 with the focus on community/grouping and dungeon delving... less focus on dungeon finders, solo player-oriented content, instant travel, quest hubs filled with random npcs giving out tedious "collect 10 of these" and "run this to here" quests that make me want to gouge my eyes out.  

Ah yes, may pop culture never corrupt the true greats.  Apparently jocks in high schools now play video games ... what has this world come to that us nerds are no longer hipsters? :(

I was a jock and I play games :( If I didn't tear my ACL I would be playing football for LSU right now.

PvE is like water to my whiskey. Don't water down my whiskey.- Ronald Reagan

Don't be a custard gonzo.- Abraham Lincoln

I could certainly do with an Anarchy Online 2 with a modern, maybe Mass Effect inspired combat system, with the original story focus they appeared to have with those cool little webisodes.  They went very WoW with content once Shadowlands hit and neglected the story telling that originally drew me to it and I keep wanting to pick it back up but it's some DAAAAMN old mechanics that are just so boring to play.  I mean, it was basically Sci-Fi EverQuest, but it was pretty damn cool.

I was a jock and I play games :( If I didn't tear my ACL I would be playing football for LSU right now.

Oh noes.  And I was just beginning to think you were a half way decent poster. :(

Roll Tide Roll!

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

Oh noes.  And I was just beginning to think you were a half way decent poster. :(

Roll Tide Roll!

You just want me for presents...

PvE is like water to my whiskey. Don't water down my whiskey.- Ronald Reagan

Don't be a custard gonzo.- Abraham Lincoln

@ the comment earlier about not really caring because gameplay is where its at...I get that, generally, but world building is like a subtle layering that adds a subversive level of engagement for me.

Warhammer's mmo really sold the IP, and made me love the game, and that alone let me push through some pretty fail design. The spare content spots etc.

its a hard thing to gauge, in Warhammer they really sold the first 10 levels, and for that cut, the game was the best game on the market, and then after that, they just didn't have the production value they needed to float the product.

its one of those things I think this game is unqiuely staged to do well, for a low price point, so I'm kind of trying to push it as a thing, to try and go for, n explore. The tile/parcel setup for worlds is also really well suited for incremental releases. Which imo mmos need more then anything.

Edited by Zomnivore

Not really. I think what turned me off to many new MMO's is that PVP always seemed to be the sideline. An afterthought thrown in compared to the PVE content. I loved EVE but that's because of it's meta not because of it's gameplay which can best be described as Microsoft Excel in space.

Regardless of genre, I want more control in combat then EVE but still keeping the down dirty politics and wars that EVE had.

I completely agree with you for what I also want in my games.

I limited my answer to what I thought a purely thematic quandary :) .

0f678e9787b873074149c019e1245cc58ac62d89

I love fantasy, but i'm tired of games.  I want a world with fear, mystery, struggle, and a sense of realism like original Everquest. 

Crowfall won't satisfy that vision, but at least it will be a better game than what we currently have.

Edited by saludeen