Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Star Trek: Axanar

VIKINGNAIL

Axanar is a crowdfunded indie film being made about a four year war between the federation and the klingons... I had heard about it but hadn't really checked it out but today I watched:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1_8IV8uhA

I'm pretty excited... and it's great to see crowdfunding giving life to projects with some real substance behind them.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

I find it very difficult to watch fan films being the cynical picky person I am.  They always either end up being one of two things;  Incredibly cheesy or incredibly campy with B-grade film acting as the icing on the turd.  The only good fan film I've ever watched was The Hunt for Gollum.  

The opening to this is so incredibly campy it made me cringe.

However, apart from that;  The rest is fantastically impressive, but to me a movie is more than just impressive CG and Special Effects, least it's better than the re-boot movies, which as movies on their own are not bad, but as star trek films ... meh.

Edited by Psyctooth
My hubris is the size of a 2 by 4 nailed to the side of a YF-12 jet barrel rolling into a volcano piloted by a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

I find it very difficult to watch fan films being the cynical picky person I am.  They always either end up being one of two things;  Incredibly cheesy or incredibly campy with B-grade film acting as the icing on the turd.  The only good fan film I've ever watched was The Hunt for Gollum.  

The opening to this is so incredibly campy it made me cringe.

However, apart from that;  The rest is fantastically impressive, but to me a movie is more than just impressive CG and Special Effects, least it's better than the re-boot movies, which as movies on their own are not bad, but as star trek films ... meh.

A lot of fan made productions are pretty meh, but I can appreciate them for what they are.  This one seems much more legitimate in its production.

I love star trek, I love the original spirit of it all, I think my main problem with the star trek big budget reboots is that I don't think it captures so much the spirit of star trek as it captures the spirit of modern pop culture.  I felt like I was watching twilight angst wrapped in a star trek universe. 

Edit:  Also I am a sucker for Tony Todd and some of the star trek characters he has played, as well as J G Hertzler for the work he did as General Martok.  I also just love that this production has some great people from all over scifi productions.  We got battlestar galactica actors/actresses, we got babylon 5 staff, star trek staff...

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir