Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snowmizer

Extra damage on attacking players who are sitting down....

Will there be Extra Damage while attacking a opponent while they are sitting down like in Shadowbane?? Which brings a 2nd question...."Will you be able to gain health/mana faster if you are sitting??

That was, in my opinion, the best part of Shadowbane. Where the solo/stealther player had a chance to fight a group of people!

Thoughts????

Edited by Agravenn
Picture removed.

dulpoa76627.png

I don't think there should be.  a sword does the same damage if you're sitting or standing.

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

I don't think there should be.  a sword does the same damage if you're sitting or standing.

That's overly simplistic. If you run someone through with a sword they're dead regardless, but the core conceit of any hit-point based system is that your health pool represents the bruises, scratches, and exhaustion you suffer while actively and successfully defending, not a supernatural ability to no-sell a meter of steel through your chest.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I would prefer that instead of just a "sit" or "surrender" stance, that they also implement a weapon-draw time mechanic, and a still-mobile but unprepared for combat stance.

I like the idea that in an ambush, I could actually be punished if unprepared, and that being ready to immediately attack would slow me down.

Not only that, but when meeting randoms in-the-wild, you could actually both sheathe your weapons as a sign of good faith.

The surrender stance (sitting) would still be important of course.  If I capture someone, I like the concept that they can put themselves at my mercy by sitting down/kneeling/etc.

I think some of what you're looking for from a travel stance could be solved better by an inertia mechanic: If it takes a noticeable interval to accelerate from a stop to full travel speed, then you can make tactical movement slower on average than overland travel speed, and potentially also impose an acceleration penalty on heavier armors, without having overland travel need a different stance or even a different top speed.

I'd also want to take a close look at a travel stance mechanic to ensure that it doesn't make it prohibitively difficult to initiate combat on fellow travelers. If you and I are both moving at overland speed and I'm within combat range but I can't attack you because the speed penalty I take when I ready my weapon causes me to drop outside range, that's obviously a problem.

And finally, my preference is for slower overland movement speeds anyway. Fast overland movement trivializes the risk and the opportunity cost of choosing to make a long journey instead of tending to your own back yard. Slower travel speeds encourage local activity and local politics, and make the decision of where on the map to build a meaningful choice; faster travel quickly homogenizes the map.

With all of that said, I don't have any passion against a travel stance per se; I just don't see it as something I'd definitely want to have- at least not at the level of information we have available to us now.

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Sitting/resting to regen health/mana faster will probally be in the game....at least i hope it is.

And just like in Shadowbane ( which this is looking a lot like, and its a good thing) i just hope they put in the extra damage...even if its backstabbing/sitting damage like in SB.....

Edited by Agravenn
Picture removed.

dulpoa76627.png

I'd also want to take a close look at a travel stance mechanic to ensure that it doesn't make it prohibitively difficult to initiate combat on fellow travelers. If you and I are both moving at overland speed and I'm within combat range but I can't attack you because the speed penalty I take when I ready my weapon causes me to drop outside range, that's obviously a problem.

Agreed with basically everything you said and want to call this out as the key balancing issue that I am concerned with as well.  It'd be important to make ambushes possible and not give people who are traveling an unfair advantage.

A key missing feature that I do think is important however is that transition time to get into combat, not just out of it.  I don't think a party of people charging headlong across the continent should be able to just suddenly start whipping out spells and abilities when they see enemies.  I think beginning a fight should be a decision, and unsheathing a weapon should be an active choice.

Will there be Extra Damage while attacking a opponent while they are sitting down like in Shadowbane?? 

The more important question is, will there be extra damage while attacking an opponent while he is kneeling?

Edited by ravenheart87

Kneeling, in the context of Crowfall, is something guilds do rather than something individuals do.

Tully

Kneeling, in the context of Crowfall, is something guilds do rather than something individuals do.

"Would that the people of the guild had but one neck, I would slit it."

I'm pretty sure there will be an individual kneel emote.

I like it but...will we have /sit?

exactly....and will you gain health/mana faster while sitting?  and if so, extra damage if your attacked sitting??

dulpoa76627.png

exactly....and will you gain health/mana faster while sitting?  and if so, extra damage if your attacked sitting??

Looking forward to hearing the answers. I have always thought that sitting should make regeneration faster with a possible trade-off of a damage increase against the sitting target.

The risk/reward dynamic of extra regen from sitting with the drawback of extra vulnerability was great in Shadowbane.  I hope we see something similar in Crowfall.

IhhQKY6.gif