Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tyrant

New Rules of Conduct (Forums)

Note to community: The fumes of divine goat roasting please the great goddess Pann, and we are restored to our liking preferences. 

Praise be to teh great goddess Pann, for she is awesome in her power!

Edited by Iridian ShadowWeaver

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

Could ALL of you (including Pann) please get back on topic?

I don't like reporting, do this is just a request.

(mods you can delete this once thread isn't filled with "likes discussion)

Edited by Cirolle

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

Could ALL of you (including Pann) please get back on topic?

I don't like reporting, do this us just a request.

(mods you can delete this once thread isn't filled with "likes discussion)

And I'm gonna report you for white knight trolling or some such. Back under your bridge.

protosig_zps963957f1.png

RIP Hili

I don't know what the heck happened with the Like system. I've just spent at least an hour going through and looking at various admin settings, trying to fix stuff that mysteriously got bjorked, inconsistent settings, etc. IPS works in mysterious ways but we will bring it to heel by hook or by crook. 

The setting now is "Maximum number of positive reputation points this group can give in a 24 hour period: 500". That should be enough even for Iridian and James Goblin, but let me know if I have underestimated. 

Also, I have increased the number of people who can be invited to a PM conversation since I've heard some people grumble about it a few times. It was six, now it's 12. 

Please holler if there's anything else wonky. 

Still hitting the Like Limit at like 10 or so.

Things to avoid:

• Off-Topic Commentary: Don’t post topics or replies unrelated to a thread. Posts like these are unlikely to be seen by the intended audience and can spawn non-productive discussions, as well as detract from otherwise useful discussions.  There is an off-topic section of the forums for subjects not related to the Game, which are not disallowed by other rules.
  • Spam: Do not post communication lacking in meaningful content or posts that do not contribute directly to the conversation. People who spam, post links to non-Crowfall products, or post repetitive information also fall into this category.

I hope that the rules about "replies unrelated to a thread" and "posts that do not contribute directly to the conversation" will not be strictly enforced.

I think that in every type of communication, verbal or written, people tend to not stick to the original subject of the discussion, because one idea rapidly brings another. Creating a new thread about every off-topic idea we get would not make sense imo. If a user creates a thread about Eternal Kingdom thralls, and it eventually transforms into a discussion about how pack pigs are slow, I see no reason to try to prevent this.

Spam being associated to "posts not contributing directly to a conversion" seems wrong to me. Making jokes, posting pictures, writing short phrases with low content but that will make people enjoy their experience on the forums are not what I consider "spam". I think that "posts that do not contribute directly to the conversation" can still have a positive impact on the forums.

Both help to have a relaxed atmosphere where people feel comfortable to share their opinions. Trying to prevent users from posting any messages that contain less constructive content or that is not related to the discussion would probably create a boring aseptic environment.

edit : I read it again and realized that if a discussion wanders from the OP but is still related to the thread, it wouldn't be deemed off-topic, so my concern is unfounded.

Edited by courant101

I hope that the rules about "replies unrelated to a thread" and "posts that do not contribute directly to the conversation" will not be strictly enforced.

I think that in every type of communication, verbal or written, people tend to not stick to the original subject of the discussion, because one idea rapidly brings another. Creating a new thread about every off-topic idea we get would not make sense imo. If a user creates a thread about Eternal Kingdom thralls, and it eventually transforms into a discussion about how pack pigs are slow, I see no reason to try to prevent this.

Spam being associated to "posts not contributing directly to a conversion" seems wrong to me. Making jokes, posting pictures, writing short phrases with low content but that will make people enjoy their experience on the forums are not what I consider "spam". I think that "posts that do not contribute directly to the conversation" can still have a positive impact on the forums.

Both help to have a relaxed atmosphere where people feel comfortable to share their opinions. Trying to prevent users from posting any messages that contain less constructive content or that is not related to the discussion would probably create a boring aseptic environment.

edit : I read it again and realized that if a discussion wanders from the OP but is still related to the thread, it wouldn't be deemed off-topic, so my concern is unfounded.

I agree with you 100% courant, and that is why we are slowly moving off to develop the community. We cannot rely on these forums for a quality community experience anymore. Mostly for the random fun responses though, topic wandering as you stated, probably wont be frowned upon... though Aggraven did attempt to monitor that for a while.

Edited by Adall

I think the issue with off-topic comments is revolved around the fact that some people cannot or do not want to contribute to the discussion and rather target an individual's response or the topic in general with cynical comment to provoke a reaction or a comment that doesn't explain why they believe the way they do? "Oh, I don't like your idea." why? This usually will lead to a discussion that can be off-topic because each party what's to defend it's own opinion. 

In terms of reliability of the official forums, I think there isn't an issue because there is still tons of quality information being talked and shared about and in terms of community experience, who cares if this is a more controlled area. There's a reason why it's controlled and pretty obvious. Anyway, that's why you have community offsite websites, but that shouldn't be a reason to ignore the official forums.  

Edited by zero2none

The disconnect I see is that the forums are the official platform for a game where players will "ridicule, mock, taunt, stalk, threaten, harass, betray, scam, intimidate or abuse" while on the forum it was prohibited not long ago to type the words "carebear" and "troll".

Off-topic commentaries are not abusive in nature. Off-topic commentaries can be anything that is not related to the current discussion. There are other rules that already disallow abusive content.

Keeping the forum so strict in every section has indeed some advantages, but on the long run I believe that it will hurt the relation between ACE and the PvP community, especially the former SB players who were invited to join the project in December. The way I see it is that confining people with strict rules and encouraging them to temporarily quit the party because they're too loud isn't the way to go to build the foundation of a community.

Edited by courant101

Per Tyrant, the Bad Word Filter for the forum has been updated to change some words--specifically, those that we consider 'hate speech' and that could result in an immediate suspension/ban--to the very generic "%+@!$#?&*^". 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

Keeping the forum so strict in every section has indeed some advantages, but on the long run I believe that it will hurt the relation between ACE and the PvP community, especially the former SB players who were invited to join the project in December. The way I see it is that confining people with strict rules and encouraging them to temporarily quit the party because they're too loud isn't the way to go to build the foundation of a community.

The thing about Shadowbane was that each server's Political Forums (hosted by UBI, by the way) were as much a part of the game as anything that actually took place in the game world. SB's servers didn't have a prescribed end goal, and so, technically, there wasn't actually a "reason" to PVP. Sure, just as in the real world, people fought over resources and such; but there was no overarching plan that pitted groups against each other necessarily (such as Horde vs Alliance). Instead, there was a dialectical relationship between the forums and the game world, in which forum strife ("forumbane") drove in-game clashes, which in turn produced more forum strife, and so on. Shadowbane may not have been a standout commercial success, but this dynamic was so effective at getting enough people so heavily invested in the game that a sizable community is still emulating the process 13 years later. 

I'm hoping that, once CF is actually released, ACE decides to host CW-specific political forums on the main site--even if they're opt-in only or considered "enter at your own risk." If not, at least there's always thedregs.

Edited by kally

LJBXw4x.png

The thing about Shadowbane was that each server's Political Forums (hosted by UBI, by the way) were as much a part of the game as anything that actually took place in the game world. SB's servers didn't have a prescribed end goal, and so, technically, there wasn't actually a "reason" to PVP. Sure, just as in the real world, people fought over resources and such; but there was no overarching plan that pitted groups against each other necessarily (such as Horde vs Alliance). Instead, there was a dialectical relationship between the forums and the game world, in which forum strife ("forumbane") drove in-game clashes, which in turn produced more forum strife, and so on. Shadowbane may not have been a standout commercial success, but this dynamic was so effective at getting enough people so heavily invested in the game that a sizable community is still emulating the process 13 years later. 

I'm hoping that, once CF is actually released, ACE decides to host CW-specific political forums on the main site--even if they're opt-in only or considered "enter at your own risk." If not, at least there's always thedregs.

As someone who moderated and usually was on the other side of things, that I 100% agree with the above post should validate that it is absolutely spot-on. Very well said.

CF_Van.png

The thing about Shadowbane was that each server's Political Forums (hosted by UBI, by the way) were as much a part of the game as anything that actually took place in the game world. SB's servers didn't have a prescribed end goal, and so, technically, there wasn't actually a "reason" to PVP. Sure, just as in the real world, people fought over resources and such; but there was no overarching plan that pitted groups against each other necessarily (such as Horde vs Alliance). Instead, there was a dialectical relationship between the forums and the game world, in which forum strife ("forumbane") drove in-game clashes, which in turn produced more forum strife, and so on.

I didn't know much about Shadowbane, now this definitely helps understand the need for such subforums over here. I hope they come up before long with a more appropriate, specific set of rules, if possible.

Edited by Krethys

oiPOxr.jpg

Proud Member of KDS -

Recruitment Post - Visit us at www.kdsguild.org