Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shadivak

Is it sad....

That I recognize like half the people posting on these forums from one server or another in SB? Thinking back, man, those were the days... Forumbane was almost as good as the game itself. The politics, the trash talking, the slander, the destruction, hatred, respect, contempt....wow. 

That was a decade ago??? Unbelievable, really.

I love you all. Until, of course, the day the game goes live and we're slaughtering each other. ;)

Edited by Shadivak

3:57 AM Shad?  You either need to sleep more, live somewhere far from here, or are already training your body for all night banes in preparation for CF.

I'm kidding we are all too old for that all night poorly made socks now.

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

I'd buy any and all of you a beer.  I am pretty sure that the guys/gals who stuck through the sociopathic atmosphere of SB through all the betrayal, forumbane, bugs/dupes/exploits and irl attacks and kept logging in everyday for more are my kind of people no matter what nation you were in.

I'd buy any and all of you a beer.  I am pretty sure that the guys/gals who stuck through the sociopathic atmosphere of SB through all the betrayal, forumbane, bugs/dupes/exploits and irl attacks and kept logging in everyday for more are my kind of people no matter what nation you were in.

I played around with enough groups of people on both sides of conflicts to find a lot of truth in this.  You have your exceptions that were just bad peoples but the majority were pretty awesome.

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

This. There are a few obvious exceptions who were just exceptional psychopaths, but I'd even buy them a beer...

mainly so I could stealth and get away before getting ganked IRL. :)

CF_Van.png

Seems apropos in this thread:

"Evil is relative.  You can't hang a sign on it.  You can't touch it or taste it or cut it with a sword.  Evil depends on where you are standing, pointing your indicting finger." - Glen Cook, The Black Company

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

"Evil is relative.  You can't hang a sign on it.  You can't touch it or taste it or cut it with a sword.  Evil depends on where you are standing, pointing your indicting finger." - Glen Cook, The Black Company

Goebbels was not evil because Hitler was more evil?

"Evil is relative.  You can't hang a sign on it.  You can't touch it or taste it or cut it with a sword.  Evil depends on where you are standing, pointing your indicting finger." - Glen Cook, The Black Company

Goebbels was not evil because Hitler was more evil?

Do you think either of those men thought themselves to be evil? We make other men "evil" so its easier for us to fight and defeat them. Morality is a very successful and useful mental shortcut. It also helps us to define ourselves when we have a satan (adversary) to contrast ourselves against.

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

Do you think either of those men thought themselves to be evil? We make other men "evil" so its easier for us to fight and defeat them. Morality is a very successful and useful mental shortcut. It also helps us to define ourselves when we have a satan (adversary) to contrast ourselves against.

There's a major difference between arguing the comparative morality of one person versus another and arguing whether or not actions are evil. Cook's statement is that evil is relative, which implies every act is good.

For example - assault is evil. Care to argue otherwise?

EDIT: I got owned by the filter. Assault is a more broad term than the one I input.

Edited by vandarr

CF_Van.png

Cook's statement is that evil is relative, which implies every act is good.

I don't think the quote implies that.  Just because he says evil is relative does not mean he is asserting that everything is good.  Whether something is good or not is just as relative as the question of whether something is evil or not.

People with different cultures and ethics may disagree on what is evil and what is good.  People may also believe that things are neither evil nor good.  If there is a universal truth on the matter, we humans have yet to prove that, or reach any consensus about it.

IhhQKY6.gif

If no act can be evil, then no act can be good, either. Moral relativism states in essence that no one can be right or wrong, as what is right to you may be wrong to me. Therefore, if you commit an act I believe to be evil and you believe to be just, then I should tolerate it due to a difference in our moral values. The problem with this is when you commit an act I consider to be evil and you consider to be just and commit said act against my personage. In that case, what is essentially occurring is an act with a net zero morality - equally good and evil simultaneously.

That, my friend, is simply absurd.

CF_Van.png