Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shadivak

Is it sad....

If you and I are standing on opposite sides of a store window, to one of us the sign on the window will read correctly, to the other the sign will be backwards.  How can it be both forwards and backwards simultaneously?  Absurd?

And that is something in the real world, which is even less nebulous than a concept like morality, which appears to exist only in our minds.

IhhQKY6.gif

Jah, if someone punches you in the face, is that moral, immoral, or amoral?

Note - I am not threatening to do so. I'm merely using this as an example of theory, similar to the window analogy.

Edited by vandarr

CF_Van.png

Jah, if someone punches you in the face, is that moral, immoral, or amoral?

That would depend on both the circumstances of the situation and the beliefs of the person making the judgement.

If I said some deeply disrespectful things to you, some people would feel the punch was justified.  Other people believe that violence over disrespectful words is never justified.  There does not seem to be a universal truth that applies in all cases for all people.

If you did it because I was physically attacking you, and so it was self-defense, most people would agree that it was justified-- but not everyone!  There are radical pacifists out there that say, "If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also."

Who is to say which judgement is the right one?  As with the sign on the window, it depends on where you stand.

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

That would depend on both the circumstances of the situation and the beliefs of the person making the judgement.

If I said some deeply disrespectful things to you, some people would feel the punch was justified.  Other people believe that violence over disrespectful words is never justified.  There does not seem to be a universal truth that applies in all cases for all people.

If you did it because I was physically attacking you, and so it was self-defense, most people would agree that it was justified-- but not everyone!  There are radical pacifists out there that say, "If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also."

Who is to say which judgement is the right one?  As with the sign on the window, it depends on where you stand.

So to use the example listed above, because Hitler believed he needed to exterminate certain people groups, the holocaust was justified?

In the example I gave, someone walks up and punches you in the face. That's it. Someone felt like punching a random person in the face, and happened to choose you because you were there. Is that moral, immoral, or amoral? Are you a believer in the right to swing your fists at all times, or do you believe Locke's theory that a man's right to swing his fists ends where your nose begins?

CF_Van.png

If you burn elves with fire it is never evil-- it is the will of St Malorn...

Ok, on this we can agree. Maybe this is why Mourne and I disagree - you know, his being a filthy elf-lover and all! Jah, obviously, is a demon-spawned nephilim, which is almost as bad as an elf!

(RP trash talk is the most fun, in my opinion. :))

CF_Van.png

Hitler may have believed his actions were justified, he may not have.  I can't know his mind.  I can judge him according to my beliefs, but I can't be sure my judgements represent universal truths.

As far as punching random people for no reason, I am against that.  I would call it immoral.  But that judgement exists in my mind, and my mind is shaped by a number of things, including my culture. I can't be sure it is universally true for all people.

IhhQKY6.gif

Hitler may have believed his actions were justified, he may not have.  I can't know his mind.  I can judge him according to my beliefs, but I can't be sure my judgements represent universal truths.

As far as punching random people for no reason, I am against that.  I would call it immoral.  But that judgement exists in my mind, and my mind is shaped by a number of things, including my culture. I can't be sure it is universally true for all people.

So all people are correct in all things, or you can't be sure of anything?

CF_Van.png

So all people are correct in all things, or you can't be sure of anything?

If I had to pick one of those two, it would be the latter.

IhhQKY6.gif

As I have said elsewhere, I die a lot. There's a reason I'm not known as Vandarr the smart. There are old scouts and there are bold scouts, but there are no old, bold scouts.

CF_Van.png

When a species of troublesome and destructive boar begins to overpopulate a forest, one does not hesitate in hunting down the vermin and exterminating them. So it is with the Sons of Man, who breed like rats and live in filth. They must be incrementally suppressed to secure the future of the elven race and its children.

The Deathless Empire shall rise again.

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

yeah they are...they just become a remote enemy detection device.

it's like a drone, you send it out, it dies, brings back maybe a little intel, repeat :)

I was posting a lengthy argument with Hap detailing the intricacies of scouting and explaining why sometimes it's an effective strategy to risk yourself ... when someone strolled by, backstabbed me, and I died ignominiously.

CF_Van.png

When a species of troublesome and destructive boar begins to overpopulate a forest, one does not hesitate in hunting down the vermin and exterminating them. So it is with the Sons of Man, who breed like rats and live in filth. They must be incrementally suppressed to secure the future of the elven race and its children.

The Deathless Empire shall rise again.

Elves make great candles.

CF_Van.png

That is one thing I think Crowfall totally screwed up.

No racial bias, no lore, no rivalries race wise, no racial diversity

If my chosen class requires me to play an elf....

I might have to make a new choice...St Malorn is watching after all....

www.lotd.org       pking and siege pvp since 1995