Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
omega59er

Okay, It's An MMO, But What Sub-Genre?

Your point earlier is incorrect. No one fell into emus we continued playing.

The pop on live with paying customers was 25x bigger than the emus.

They made money it imo would have been almost impossible to have lost money.

You do realize they have operating costs right?  If they were making enough money to justify the game the game wouldn't have been closed down... they were not... i highly doubt SB was even making a profit past the first 18 months....

You do realize they have operating costs right? If they were making enough money to justify the game the game wouldn't have been closed down... they were not... i highly doubt SB was even making a profit past the first 18 months....

I don't think they were assassins creed ballin, but they were making money. Just my opinion.

Do we know anything about the style of gameplay? I am referring to the camera angle and such. For example, is it isometric or 3rd person follow? Something else?

LW_sig_concept2_zpsgdrsfl7n.jpg

Do we know anything about the style of gameplay? I am referring to the camera angle and such. For example, is it isometric or 3rd person follow? Something else?

Haven't seen any gameplay, i'd assume you'll have a wide angle view of the battlefield.

Edited by zoopz

Third person follow almost guaranteed with what they've shown so far... basically trying to make a cartoony pvp centric gw2...

Pretty sure this isnt a mega-corp project. I have said this in the past... If I had extra millions sitting in the bank, I would develop an MMO best suited for my play style.

If it made money, great. If not, at least I'm not playing WoW.

People spend millions of dollars on fun all the time. I'm not saying this is the case here... but I have no evidence suggesting otherwise. That said, it could be.

Either way, I personally like the marketing plan here. Coming right out and stating "We're not WoW." has already sold me on trying the game.

You'd have to be a fool to not want something different; after ten years of playing World of Dueling MMO's.

If you wanna play easy mode, play WoW. All the trade chat trolls in WoW will state the same thing.

If you wanna take your skills to the next level, try PvP when you're not ready.

Edited by ydd

Every player in the game gives me a quest:
Quest: Kill me.

Reward: All my stuff.

Pretty sure this isnt a mega-corp project. I have said this in the past... If I had extra millions sitting in the bank, I would develop an MMO best suited for my play style.

If it made money, great. If not, at least I'm not playing WoW.

People spend millions of dollars on fun all the time. I'm not saying this is the case here... but I have no evidence suggesting otherwise. That said, it could be.

Either way, I personally like the marketing plan here. Coming right out and stating "We're not WoW." has already sold me on trying the game.

You'd have to be a fool to not want something different; after ten years of playing World of Dueling MMO's.

If you wanna play easy mode, play WoW. All the trade chat trolls in WoW will state the same thing.

If you wanna take your skills to the next level, try PvP when you're not ready.

Since WoW is so easy i assume you are multi-glad in it?

Since WoW is so easy i assume you are multi-glad in it?

No, I never had any interest in organized dueling, or pillar humping.

My interest in WoW was making the mass-playerbase cry to the GM's whenever they got their feelings hurt.

Here is a link to the guild Episodes section, enjoy!

http://www.scarybadguys.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=28

Every player in the game gives me a quest:
Quest: Kill me.

Reward: All my stuff.

You do realize they have operating costs right?  If they were making enough money to justify the game the game wouldn't have been closed down... they were not... i highly doubt SB was even making a profit past the first 18 months....

Agree with this, too.  Companies do not go up for sale when they are losing money, they are sold when they are at the top  of their "game" ( pun intended ) when the seller can make the most profit.  The trick is to make the company look profitable and like it has growth potential.  SB was sold by Wolfpack a year after release.  Perhaps the cost of developing expansions was exceeding the projected growth potential.   Companies can frequently look good as far as what they are taking in but can be losing money on the back end. The cost of just running any business is astronomical when you consider salaries, office space, utilities, licenses, etc.   Add to that servers, hardware and software................it's not cheap.  

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

No, I never had any interest in organized dueling, or pillar humping.

My interest in WoW was making the mass-playerbase cry to the GM's whenever they got their feelings hurt.

Here is a link to the guild Episodes section, enjoy!

http://www.scarybadguys.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=28

Oh how is old darwoth doing?  I knew him in shadowbane lol....

Haven't seen any gameplay, i'd assume you'll have a wide angle view of the battlefield.

Third person follow almost guaranteed with what they've shown so far... basically trying to make a cartoony pvp centric gw2...

Thanks! I assumed we wouldn't know, but I thought I would check. With the artwork they have done thus far, it reminds me quite a bit of Albion online. That game is more in the isometric and art style of Torchlight though.

LW_sig_concept2_zpsgdrsfl7n.jpg

I just keep seeing people talk about MOBA in various posts and finally had to say something.

There is no way this team is making a MOBA, its just a ridiculous thought. I believe Tully confirms that in the post.

A new theme in MMO design is to get away from the trinity. SOE is looking towards MOBAs for role types and I think it is always possible ArtCraft has the same idea.

A new theme in MMO design is to get away from the trinity. SOE is looking towards MOBAs for role types and I think it is always possible ArtCraft has the same idea.

I think the problem is that the definitions and connotations of certain labels has been blurred so darn much.  You can say something is a moba based on 1 or 2 characteristics of a moba, while discarding the rest it seems these days... Then you have blurs based on blurs based on blurs...

Some people think Smite, for example, is the standard moba, when it is a very unique moba...

Hell even the definition of MMO has been blurred... LoL is considered an MMO by many sites including ones that gather financial data on the industry...  I think people these days think MMO just means a massive playerbase in general, they don't realize the massive multiplayer thing comes from having a "massive" amount of people in a persistent area playing and impacting each other...  "Massive" back when MMO nomenclature was coined is a lot different than what it is now that the tech and internet have improved.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/10/23/the-10-highest-grossing-online-pc-games-in-2014-hearthstone-dota-2-cant-compete-with-league-of-legends/

As for what genre crowfall will be, first and foremost it will be an MMORPG...

Edited by michaelflatley

One thing is to state  "we are going to get rid of holy trinity" by brinigng a new game experience.

Other thing is to get rid of holy trinity and put players to train and customize pokemons.