Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tsp_maj

Why we will all fail...

Very well thought on, well worded! BRAVO SIR! *Gives an internet cookie* yeah it might be pointless to try and start a massive guild, but I like the idea of people trying to gather a group of people who aren't the unsocial asshats you can find around places, who don't want to work together, and just join a guild because it makes things easier. A guild should be a way to BOLSTER your enjoyment, and.. WORK TOGETHER! I really do hope that people can stick together through our great, growing, forum browsing community! :3 

Last Call (A community guild for friendly peoples waiting out for CrowFall :P): http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/888-last-call-a-community-for-friendly-people/

Second Key to Success:  The time to fight is now.  Come out aggressive and push the limits of your members.  Once a few of your members start complaining that you're "fighting too much" then that's your sweet spot, keep it up.  Your members will be inspired by combat, the thing they are playing the game for, and usually end up being stronger than those that are bored grinding away the game.

There are two types of guild leaders that people will follow.  There is the charismatic leader and the results based leader.  Both of them serve their members and not the other way around.  A charismatic leader is the kind of person that people just enjoy playing with.  They make the game fun through their actions and act as a lynch pin holding the guild together.  A results based leader is someone with a plan that leads the guild to success.  Some people will gladly follow an a-hole as long as he leads them to victory, while others need a more relaxing environment to bring out their potential.  Know your members and figure out how to empower each of them to be at their greatest.  

"Low activity" is an illusion, you might as well consider that all non-active members are just that.  I cant tell you how many complaint threads I've read about "low activity" over the years.  No matter how nicely you put it, or how loudly you yell, you're not going to convince people who recently decided to stop playing to suddenly start again.  They are lost, move on.  Its the guilds job to make people want to play, the players don't have a job, this is a game. 

Great points!!!! From my own personal experience, it seems that the latter of the two leaders (results based leader) tends to have the guild that is the most successful of the two when it comes to pvp rankings. Those Guilds also usually tend to be very exclusive in their recruitment and implementation of their plan usually requires members to be very disciplined in knowing their role in the plan and following strict guidelines and not doing so will more than likely be followed by some sort of acknowledgement by another member of their disappointment and then usually followed by either direct or indirect ostracizing if corrections are not quickly made. 

So the only thing I would like to add is, know what you want out of the game before joining a guild. If you're looking to dominate and be part of a dominating team, chances are, the guilds that are spamming for members in general chat or forums are not going to be the ones for you. You will need to "prove" yourself and be noticed by one of these guild members who will personally contact you somehow. If you're looking to just have fun, then by all means, shop around for guilds until you find a home with people you get along with. The Guilds with the more Charismatic leaders that are successful may not always be at the top of the leaderboards but that's not to say that they are always losing. There will be ups and downs and it may be up to you to take charge of a smaller group within the guild to implement a plan that you think will be successful for that group and the guild.

If you're REALLY lucky you may end up with a guild leader that is both Charismatic AND "results based"

If you can't dazzle em with brilliance, baffle em with truthiness

To the OP, great post. I have a certain feeling that macro-political positioning/posturing is going to be a very large part of this game. We're approaching 7k members now registered. I keep saying this, but this is not going to be a 1-2k pop server. There are some very large gaming communities out there. Targets are going to have to be chosen carefully. Otherwise by the time of your third or fourth seige, you may very well have 4-500 people at your doorstep. There will be alliances. Screaming "Nutcup" does not, and will not matter here. Though I believe conquest to be the focus of the game, committing political suicide is never "smart". There has to be the longview.

To the OP, great post. I have a certain feeling that macro-political positioning/posturing is going to be a very large part of this game. We're approaching 7k members now registered. I keep saying this, but this is not going to be a 1-2k pop server. There are some very large gaming communities out there. Targets are going to have to be chosen carefully. Otherwise by the time of your third or fourth seige, you may very well have 4-500 people at your doorstep. There will be alliances. Screaming "Nutcup" does not, and will not matter here. Though I believe conquest to be the focus of the game, committing political suicide is never "smart". There has to be the longview.

Great points. Following that point, it will be interesting if a game like this goes mainstream, because there are gaming communities out there (Warrior nation or Goonswarm, for example) that have such a massive membership base to draw from, that they can bring hundreds and hundreds of people potentially. (not necessarily, but it's possible). Most of the guilds that currently have posts in the guild section of the forums are traditionally 20 man guilds, some of which (my own, for example) are really borderline defunct with a handful of active gamers remaining.

Your milkshake lures all the fine folks to the yard. Verily, it is better than mine. Surely it is better than mine. Would you teach me, or would you levy a fee? - Integ

Thank you for the praise, and more importantly thank you for continuing the discussion.  Without knowing exactly what the game is there is no way to tell what a server population will look like.  You're absolutely right on all accounts though, especially that all guilds may have to adapt to claim victory.  Other people have also wisely pointed out that although one of the keys to success is aggression, that can be a double edged sword.  Every move a guild makes, even from its lowest ranking member, contributes to the macro-political subterfuge.  One miscalculated maneuver can bring ruin.  That's what makes the game so fun though right?

Since we're talking about zergs let me offer one bit of wisdom.  A typical zerg is made up of many different guilds all relatively weak in their own leadership.  They form around the power of an individual guild, usually with a very strong leadership.  The nature of the zerg is that it values numbers over quality.  Each individuals value is very low on the grand scheme of the zerg and typically they are treated as such.  Victory is the only glue that holds a zerg together.  Without victory they will always destroy themselves from within. 

Consider this the next time you find yourself facing off against a zerg.  Do not look at them as a single guild, that is not what they are.  The goal is not to destroy the zerg yourself, its to accelerate its destruction from within.  There are several strategies to be able to do this.  The one I'll share is this; every guild in a zerg has its own agenda, naturally they care more about their own members then those of the guilds they have allied with.  Figure out the lead guilds agenda, which they will try to force on those that follow, and avoid it at all costs.  In fact do not engage the lead guilds as best you can.  Someone else will unwisely decide to attack head on and draw the entire zergs attention.  This guild is now the lead guilds agenda.  Once this has happened find the weakest sub guild that has something to lose and attack them, and them only.  What you're doing is changing your target guilds agenda, they will hate you while the rest of the zerg since you haven't really been fighting them frankly couldn't care less, they are more interested in the main target. 

You have now planted the seed.  This guild will expect help from their alliance that is unlikely to come.  Arguments will start, threats will happen, and before long the zerg will be primed to fail.  Remember though, that your moves must be deliberate yet but seemingly insignificant.  Engaging the zerg on the forums can have the same effect as though you engaged them in the game. 

Maj, Keeper of Da Plank - The Shipwrecked Pirates