Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
courant101

Testing Is Coming

The first alpha is pre-alpha and they will let "some" testers from Alpha 1 in based on pledge time, because pre-alpha group is to small and they will need more than 25 people.

Im pretty sure for the actual Alpha 1 all alpha 1 members will be let in. 

The main question i have, is since they are letting Alpha 1s in pre-alpha, are they gonna make the alpha at the end of this year the actual Alpha 1 or will it count as alpha 2?

Still probably alpha 1 because quantity of people doesn't really matter that's more of a beta thing.

If the players join the tests based on testing group and date of first pledge, then I guess it would be accurate.

If there are let's say 800 people in A1 group and that ACE only needs 80 for the first weeks, then letting 800 A1 testers join in could be detrimental.

Ok this still isnt a clear picture for me by now, so I gonna now explane how i would handle that, from what I understood the problem is.

If the pre alpha group is too small for testing, then they should add people from the next pledge group, which would be the 2500 Dollar Emerald Patron group. That would be ok and fair I guess.

So that shouldnt interfere with the people waiting for alpha 1 to start on the one side, and ACE needing more people for pre alpha testing on the other side.

And when pre-alpha testing is done they let the people with Alpha 1 access in, but all of them at the same time, not one by one, this isnt fortunately a state of emergency or anything. So first priority here is being fair to the community, and this doesnt interfere with testing in any kind of way if you do it right.

Just continue with pre alpha as long as you need to, and when you are able and ready for alpha 1, let them in, that should be possible.

I read something that it was planed to go into the next stage of development on a quarterly base, so 3 month or so around the start of one develeopment phase comes the next one.

So if pre alpha starts around at the end of summer and all goes well, alpha 1 should be starting anywhere around at the end of autumn. In a good case scenario.

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

If the pre alpha group is too small for testing, then they should add people from the next pledge group, which would be the 2500 Dollar Emerald Patron group. That would be ok and fair I guess.

So that shouldnt interfere with the people waiting for alpha 1 to start on the one side, and ACE needing more people for pre alpha testing on the other side.

And when pre-alpha testing is done they let the people with Alpha 1 access in, but all of them at the same time, not one by one, this isnt fortunately a state of emergency or anything. So first priority here is being fair to the community, and this doesnt interfere with testing in any kind of way if you do it right.

Well, I think that "first come, first served" is still the fairest way to handle this. Making people from the same testing group (alpha 1) who pledged the most money bypass those who pledged early is not what I consider fair. Let's say 50 people wait in a line at the store with tickets # in their hands. I think it's fairer to serve the people in order of # rather than allowing #43 to bypass everyone because he's giving 100$ at the store employee.  :P

Just continue with pre alpha as long as you need to, and when you are able and ready for alpha 1, let them in, that should be possible.

I read something that it was planed to go into the next stage of development on a quarterly base, so 3 month or so around the start of one develeopment phase comes the next one.

So if pre alpha starts around at the end of summer and all goes well, alpha 1 should be starting anywhere around at the end of autumn. In a good case scenario.

If the development worked in a way where they need 15 concurrent players for 3 months, and then suddenly need to add 800 testers all at once, then I would agree, but I'm pretty sure their needs is more about making the people join progressively so they can test first the features that require fewer people (let's say server stability, power animation, collision, etc.) and then slowly add new people when they feel they are needed.

I did some very basic analysis a while back of the backer breakdown and we are talking maybe a thousand people who have pledged a package that includes Alpha 1 or pre-alpha. We are not talking about 10k people trying to play, so I think this issue is a bit overblown.

ACE is well aware of the number of backers they have and how many they needed for each level of testing which probably had a lot to do with why they only offered a set number of each of the pledge levels during KS. Using the information they had from KS they can easily extrapolate the pledge levels once they opened up their own store.

Keep in mind only players with Sapphire or above have access to Alpha 1, and of those maybe 100 are Ruby or Emerald so I'm not too concerned with cutting of the line even if that is how they decided to do it. At the end of the day if I pay for Alpha 1 and I get Alpha 1 then I'm satisfied. If ACE decides to reward a higher tier contributor with Pre-Alpha access even though I pledged before him, so be it, as long as ACE honors their original agreement they made with me. I'm not saying that is the "fairest" but I have little reason to moan and groan because I did not get something that was never promised to me.

ACE said they will open the pre-alpha to those with Alpha 1 access and all signs seem to point that they are in fact going to go by earliest backer not highest tiered backer.

As for the comment related to getting into Alpha 1 just before Alpha 2 goes live, we have no information that indicates that ACE will be doing a rollout where this would be possible, i.e. Alpha 1(a), Alpha 1(B), Alpha 1©.... I agree it would be a little disingenuous if this is how the rollout were to be handled, but ACE has been very upfront on just about everything so I don't anticipate this being the case. I fully expect when Alpha 1 is made available then all Alpha 1 backers will be invited.

Well, I think that "first come, first served" is still the fairest way to handle this. Making people from the same testing group (alpha 1) who pledged the most money bypass those who pledged early is not what I consider fair. Let's say 50 people wait in a line at the store with tickets # in their hands. I think it's fairer to serve the people in order of # rather than allowing #43 to bypass everyone because he's giving 100$ at the store employee.  :P

If the development worked in a way where they need 15 concurrent players for 3 months, and then suddenly need to add 800 testers all at once, then I would agree, but I'm pretty sure their needs is more about making the people join progressively so they can test first the features that require fewer people (let's say server stability, power animation, collision, etc.) and then slowly add new people when they feel they are needed.

Considering you are possibly one of the first people who pledged its only natural that you see this as a "fair" method, or more/most fair method. I understand that feeling very well my friend, I am the same. But as I look at this, this isnt whether a line infront of a store, nor an emergency, nor anything with room for too much interpretation.

Booze is booze and work is work, and at the end of the day its business. And when you sell a package where stands Alpha 1 access, that means that when alpha 1 starts, you are in if you paid the price.

While developing etc isnt a total predictable process and esspecially games are a very complex product, thats why their releases are often unpredictable even in yearly steps as well as most of the developed games never get released, you need to have as a developer a certain degree of competence and responsibility/accredibility, while many customers are very good willing towards you and willing to forgive you much if it is reasonable.

Thats said, I cant see the suggestion of letting people in randomly as being reasonable. We could choose any kind of criteria then if we like to. Just for example criteria like different playstyles, game experience or time available to spend testing.

But if you pay for alpha 1 access you did so because you really wanted alpha 1 access, which means access as fast as possible.

And I think the devs are competent and responsible enough to be aware of that.

If it was a store I would go there 2-3 times a week and going around there, playing with grandpa Gordon and hanging around with the others, would be awesome!

Edited by Urahara

... And when you sell a package where stands Alpha 1 access, that means that when alpha 1 starts, you are in if you paid the price.

Maybe it will happen like that, or maybe they'll prefer to add testers gradually.

I would be surprised that they let ~800 testers join on the same day though. We will see I guess.  :P

We have probably a year of testing ahead of us. Plenty of time to get in and mess around. I think CF's launch will be faster than most due to them using PvP as the central form of content. Which they don't need to 'create'. The bulk of the 'development' is probably art assets and animations. I hope that being in Alpha 1 means immediate access. Would kinda suck to be a member of it and not get in right away because I took a day to ponder signing up.

eEvERiW.jpg

Keep in mind, if you let in 1000 testers, after a couple days only 20 percent actually keep testing. (2 weeks, I bet it's less than 10%)

Totally made up numbers but it sure seems that way.

(Most play first few days then drop to come back later, complaining "It doesn't have this" or "It's broken")

OS_Sig3.png

Keep in mind, if you let in 1000 testers, after a couple days only 20 percent actually keep testing. (2 weeks, I bet it's less than 10%)

Totally made up numbers but it sure seems that way.

(Most play first few days then drop to come back later, complaining "It doesn't have this" or "It's broken")

That is or may be true for next best games giving out free beta keys, I would agree.

But when you pay at least 500 Dollar its already a big commitment towards the game.

Also from getting the expressions here from most of these guys who did, how amazing engaged they are with this project, they are really interested into this game.

So from my impressions, its gonna be very much of the people who have access to the game, making use of it frequently. Of course this depends on certain issues like, if there is something really play-/enjoyable already in the game, or how much freetime do these people to spend.

I can easily imagine myself that I would love so much to play all the time when I got access to the game, I wouldnt want them to ever shut the servers down after I got access till release.

Edited by Urahara