Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Thread 'ownership'

We've had a sort of unofficial policy that the OP of a thread can request for the thread to be locked or removed (usually requested because the thread is redundant, was created in error or they got the answer/information they were seeking). Also, OPs of guild recruitment threads could request a cleanup if people were going OT or being disruptive in some way. 

What are your thoughts on this? Should this become an official policy or should it be discontinued?

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

Granting thread starters heightened privileges over the threads they start invites both abuse and a lot of effort in policing the gray areas. These are the Crowfall forums. All backers should be on equal footing with respect to them†. If someone isn't comfortable being responded to by the backers of Crowfall, they shouldn't post in the forums of the backers of Crowfall.

The alternative is that you start having to respond to whiners asking that naysayers be stripped from their suggestion threads. Is that the world you want to spend your days in?

† With the exception of access to the Dev Partners forum.

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.

We've had a sort of unofficial policy that the OP of a thread can request for the thread to be locked or removed (usually requested because the thread is redundant, was created in error or they got the answer/information they were seeking). Also, OPs of guild recruitment threads could request a cleanup if people were going OT or being disruptive in some way. 

What are your thoughts on this? Should this become an official policy or should it be discontinued?

I think if you start a discussion, even if you've gotten every thing you need from it, there is no harm allowing others to continue discussing if they find stuff to discuss about that the OP may not find as valuable.

Giving OP ownership of a thread basically allows them to end it at any time on their own terms which I don't think is necessary, if anything truly disruptive is happening in the thread the mods would take care of it anyway. 

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Agreed with the above. Nobody owns a conversation, or rather, all participants equally own the conversation.

I can see a nuance for the guild recruiting board, though. If you want your guild recruiting thread to be a conversation you should fall under the same "nobody owns a conversation" rule, but if you just want to post your blurb and immediately have the thread locked you should be able to do that.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Thread bumping naturally solves most of these problems. If the purpose of the thread has been met, it fades off the front pages in favor of newer, more relevant threads. That being said, I don't see any problem with asking for a thread lock if it's a duplicate or made by accident.

Guild threads are a gray area because they're for a specific guild to disseminate information, make plans, and socialize. Since the thread owner is often the guild leader or a reasonable alternative, it makes some sense to give them some say in what goes on in their thread. On the other hand, these are forums for a PvP game. People are going to post in your guild thread, and you may not like what they say or simply not like the clutter. It would be advisable to do your guild stuff elsewhere with member control (i.e. a guild forum or the like). This also reduces the strain on ACE, who (barring implementing some OP tools specifically for the guild section) would otherwise have to be more heavily involved in moderation. I personally would vouch for the "look elsewhere if you want user control" solution, since it saves ACE some trouble.

Edited by txteclipse

I think it has been working well. Official policy? No. Unofficial policy? Sure.

Ain't broke don't fix it.

First, merely stating that there is such an unofficial policy irreversibly changes the status quo, by suggesting to thread starters that they can whine to get rid of people who disagree with them. We are now in a volatile state, and something further must happen to rectify this.

Second, you're both advocating for policy gray areas that force discretionary decisions onto the forum moderators, increasing their work load just to coddle a minority of thin-skinned people who can't handle the feedback they asked for.

The moderators already have policies, which they already enforce, to take care of problems. Creating the expectation that thread starters can wash away disagreement with their sensitive tears unleashes a flood of such tears. Pann and the moderators will have their hands full at first, and before long the forums will be rendered sterile, anesthetized, and dead.

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.

I have no problem with gray areas and judgement calls. That's life.

Watch out for this one, Pann. He likes increasing your workload.

Unless Pann makes this thread no one is complaining or posting about this "issue".

I'm all for rules that help make this a more constructive and productive environment but at some point there's a line where you don't need a rule and policy for every single little thing.

So no, IMO nothing needs to change and we can just go back to this being a non-issue like it was before.

Edited by pang

Seeing as people occasionally come to our guild thread with the express purpose of causing a disruption, I'm in favor of this policy. However, having a "guild v guild politics/forumwarring" section where people can brag about their wins or vent about their losses, in a pvp game, seems like it should be a given.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

Ain't broke don't fix it.

Screenshotted this for the lulz later on. You got someone who would want to have such wimpy powers over his own thread, then his post is liked by the guy who has a 100+ page recruitment thread that reports people for spam on his own thread. Glorious.

Seeing as people occasionally come to our guild thread with the express purpose of causing a disruption, I'm in favor of this policy.

Non-constructive feedback or comments are already against the official rules of conduct.  I don't see why an additional rule needs to exist to grant special privileges to the OP. 

IhhQKY6.gif

What Jah said. If someone is breaching the CoC then anyone should be able to report that and the response should be the same regardless of who did so. If the conduct is not a breach then nobody including the OP has any business complaining about it to the mods. Either way no special OP privilege is required.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Screenshotted this for the lulz later on. You got someone who would want to have such wimpy powers over his own thread, then his post is liked by the guy who has a 100+ page recruitment thread that reports people for spam on his own thread. Glorious.

I don't make threads if ever so not sure what you're getting. Think you're trying to hard, not taking the bait.