Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Thread 'ownership'

Non-constructive feedback or comments are already against the official rules of conduct.  I don't see why an additional rule needs to exist to grant special privileges to the OP. 

I agree with you, the rules of the forum already prohibit certain behaviors, so the OP is allowed as usual to report posts.

I believe that requesting to get a thread locked or deleted, for reasonable reasons, should stay.

When the guild / politics forum is created, I guess that the owner of a thread should have all the rights over his thread, since from what I've understood it will be made of separated private sections (EK style).

Edited by courant101

I'd be happy to see both unofficial policies done away with.

Everyone here are equal participants in a forum conversation once you hit the submit button.

This may lead to an influx of more reports to ensure the threads people want to stay on topic and clean do so though.

It could also lead to unexpected situations with a guild thread...

IE:

Scribbles Watch guild thread gets some comments in it from 7Bax Gaming that I don't like.  A moderator deems them suitable enough content to remain in place.  As the guild leader what am I to do?  Do I just start a new thread and copy/paste the first post into a new post?  What will be the policy on creating duplicate threads?  Do we have to wait until it falls off the main page before creating a new one?  What if someone from 7Bax Gaming keeps bumping the thread to ensure it stays on the front page?

It's a big WHAT IF, but these are forums for a PVP game.

[@--(o.O)@]

I agree with you, the rules of the forum already prohibit certain behaviors, so the OP is allowed as usual to report posts.

I believe that requesting to get a thread locked or deleted, for reasonable reasons, should stay.

When the guild / politics forum is created, I guess that the owner of a thread should have all the rights over his thread, since from what I've understood it will be made of separated private sections (EK style).

Well when they do get around to making that separate politics section the only rule they should need then is that Recruitment threads are solely for that guild and its recruiting process to advertise themselves and any smack talking/call out/political stuff would be in the new section. Not sure why it wasn't like that to begin with honestly when that's pretty much the standard as I've seen in past MMO forum sites.

Well when they do get around to making that separate politics section the only rule they should need then is that Recruitment threads are solely for that guild and its recruiting process to advertise themselves and any smack talking/call out/political stuff would be in the new section. Not sure why it wasn't like that to begin with honestly when that's pretty much the standard as I've seen in past MMO forum sites.

I was thinking that it could be different though because the sections would be exempt of ACE moderation, private and on only available for the users who have received an invitation. The owner of the section could have moderation and edition rights.

I was thinking that it could be different though because the sections would be exempt of ACE moderation, private and on only available for the users who have received an invitation. The owner of the section could have moderation and edition rights.

Yeah agree, I was just talking more about the public guild recruitment section should more for the guilds recruiting only and any off topic or tolling should be moderated out. The smack talk and call out and political stuff would be in those new sections. Right now its kind of all mixed into one and not as productive as it could be for either purpose.

Just saying that in past MMO forums I've been a part of there's usually separate sections for recruitment and for political, call out stuff not just all in one like it is here.

Edited by pang

Making everything official just leads to entitlement, it's better to leave details to case by case judgement, that should be the official policy.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Yeah agree, I was just talking more about the public guild recruitment section should more for the guilds recruiting only and any off topic or tolling should be moderated out. The smack talk and call out and political stuff would be in those new sections. Right now its kind of all mixed into one and not as productive as it could be for either purpose.

Just saying that in past MMO forums I've been a part of there's usually separate sections for recruitment and for political, call out stuff not just all in one like it is here.

Ah yea, separating those two sections will certainly help. Recruitment forums, as you mentioned, should still be moderated and focus on managing guild roster, rather than political talks.

The policy of giving the OP some self-entitled jurisdiction to rule over their own thread never works out. Locking to kill a conversation that didn't go their way or otherwise just let's it sink with whatever community contribution was with it. I'm sure it's created a strain on the mods and a lot of grey areas as well, I didn't even know this was a thing on here.

The policy of giving the OP some self-entitled jurisdiction to rule over their own thread never works out. Locking to kill a conversation that didn't go their way or otherwise just let's it sink with whatever community contribution was with it. I'm sure it's created a strain on the mods and a lot of grey areas as well, I didn't even know this was a thing on here.

Probably had to hire a mod just to deal with 7B's complaining about "his" thread.

Probably had to hire a mod just to deal with 7B's complaining about "his" thread.

Heh, it's only an issue when pseudos feel the need to crap all over the recruitment thread. That's like blaming the person who dialed 911, not the person committing the act. Silly raptor.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

That's like blaming the person who dialed 911, not the person committing the act.

Unless the person dialing 911 is filing a false report, or reporting legal activity.

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.

Unless the person dialing 911 is filing a false report, or reporting legal activity.

Never been guilty of that. He just has an axe to grind.

They're directly reporting the post in question. It's also against the rules to "grudge/spam report" posts. There are plenty of silly "light troIIing" posts on our thread, for instance, that I never bothered reporting. I saved the button for really nasty ones that slandered the guild or its members as racist, misogynist, that sort of thing. And not even that often. There have also been two people that spammed complete nonsense that went on for multiple pages, clear derailment.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

Reporting things is so kindergarten.

I wouldn't know, I was only in Kindergarten for a year. How many years did you attend?

I wouldn't know, I was only in Kindergarten for a year. How many years did you attend?

And there goes the thread derailment.   :lol:  Or maybe it's just light trolling.

I personally feel that a thread is not owned by anyone.  Say you're standing in a group of five people and you bring up a topic.  You then walk away from that group.  Just because you leave doesn't mean the topic is suddenly dropped.  Conversation may continue without you there.

A thread starter asking mods to close topics seems like it adds extra work and unnecessary reports.  If a thread needs to be closed I'm sure people will report it for the proper reasons.

Sorry you turned into a two-bit carebear whose feelings get hurt over forum banter.

Fair enough. If it's already in the RoC it seems to me those are more than enough to cover the troublesome stuff.

And there goes the thread derailment.   :lol:  Or maybe it's just light trolling.

Ah, but witty banter makes it fun for everyone! Never did any of us ever have to report something so tame.  ;)

The problem with 'unofficial' policies is that we are making every attempt to be as transparent as possible, to make the rules as clear as possible and to make sure everything is on the level. This particular unofficial policy creeps up now and then so I figured now was a good time to bring it forward and see how everyone feels about it. 

I think it would be reasonable to allow OPs to request thread closures when: 

1. It's a redundant topic. Technically, it can simply be merged if the thread is still active, but if they accidentally necro'd an old topic, I think closing the new thread would be reasonable.

2. It's an accidental double post. 

Guild recruitment is a whole 'nother discussion, I think. It seems to me that we need to figure out the best way to accommodate those who want to recruit and to make it protected in some way so others can't come in and cockroach their thread. Let's get the current policy discussions resolved and we'll tackle this one soon. 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

Why do OPs have the authority to shutdown, lock and delete threads? 

On more than one occasions I've witnessed OPs make, debate, derail thread, violate CoC, attack and then ultimately ask for their thread locked or deleted because they got tired of the postings. I can't see how that is a productive thing to allow. It's basically letting people start trouble then dictate when to end it if the heat gets too hot. Similar to a child throwing a tantrum then telling the parents "this conversation is over" and walk away. 

In no way is this healthy. 

Many times when this has happened NO ONE knew but the OP why that thread got shut down. Its creates needless speculation at best and just adds strain on any precised disconnect between posters and Ace at worst. Sure maybe some like myself have asked in the past but that's just a waste of time, resources and unnecessary frustration. 

Thx,

-Keaggan