Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Thread 'ownership'

Guild recruitment is a whole 'nother discussion, I think. It seems to me that we need to figure out the best way to accommodate those who want to recruit and to make it protected in some way so others can't come in and cockroach their thread. Let's get the current policy discussions resolved and we'll tackle this one soon. 

Is this really an issue?  I know KoS can be pretty controversial and quite a guilds generally despise us from other games, but the guild threads are kinda like sacred ground.  I have not seen anyone disrespect it yet.  Ya, some guilds have had a little internal drama but, that is to be expected and adds to my amusement factor  I would hope we wouldn't be wasting time on non issues. 

Why do OPs have the authority to shutdown, lock and delete threads? 

<snip>

Many times when this has happened NO ONE knew but the OP why that thread got shut down. Its creates needless speculation at best and just adds strain on any precised disconnect between posters and Ace at worst. Sure maybe some like myself have asked in the past but that's just a waste of time, resources and unnecessary frustration. 

-Keaggan

A few months ago, I asked for a thread that I started to be closed. It was on a topic that inadvertently left my family open to heaps of abuse by internet peoples/Crows, and I wasn't happy to have put my child out there in such a way. I felt that my younger son shouldn't be punished for my ignorance of how internet people might view the subject. So I asked Pann to close the thread, which she did, and for which I was grateful. In my case, I simply didn't know that talking about my kid's brony tendencies was a cardinal sin of the interwebz, at least here. Learning curves are like that, sometimes unexpected. 

I think there are many reasons a person might want to request that mods close a thread they started, and I don't think there should be a hard rule about such requests. Instead, I think that such requests should be handled on a one-on-one basis. 

Regards,

Iri~

Edited by Iridian ShadowWeaver

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

A few months ago, I asked for a thread that I started to be closed. It was on a topic that inadvertently left my family open to heaps of abuse by internet peoples/Crows, and I wasn't happy to have put my child out there in such a way. I felt that my younger son shouldn't be punished for my ignorance of how internet people might view the subject. So I asked Pann to close the thread, which she did, and for which I was grateful. In my case, I simply didn't know that talking about my kid's brony tendencies was a cardinal sin of the interwebz, at least here. Learning curves are like that, sometimes unexpected. 

I think there are many reasons a person might want to request that mods close a thread they started, and I don't think there should be a hard rule about such requests. Instead, I think that such requests should be handled on a one-on-one basis. 

Regards,

Iri~

So you made a mistake out of ignorance with regards to your audience and then needed to run to the moderation staff to have your thread closed? This is exactly why I don't like these types of things... that thread is forever part of this community's history... and you just shut it down and disperse the fun everyone was having building the community in it. Rules like these don't allow the community to grow, please stop with them.

I do believe there is one, and only one, acceptable clause to this... duplicate posts/threads. They are more clutter than anything else and don't have any intrinsic value.

So you made a mistake out of ignorance with regards to your audience and then needed to run to the moderation staff to have your thread closed? This is exactly why I don't like these types of things... that thread is forever part of this community's history... and you just shut it down and disperse the fun everyone was having building the community in it. Rules like these don't allow the community to grow, please stop with them.

I do believe there is one, and only one, acceptable clause to this... duplicate posts/threads. They are more clutter than anything else and don't have any intrinsic value.

Adall, 

As I'm sure you would agree, when one's child becomes a target of criticism in the thread, that's not "fun" or community building. The opposite is true of such situations, in fact. Be poorly made socksty to me, but not my kid. 

I told Pann that my ONE request to close a thread would be the one and only time I asked. As she is aware, I have not asked again. 

As I said, a one-on-one approach is reasonable, as long as the person asking doesn't abuse the request.

Not everyone is from around here, as we say up in the hills. I don't think an inadvertent post is reason to ridicule and mock, but I've learned that in this culture, any tiny mistake is harshly punished. Fine, but there is a learning curve. As a teacher and a mom, I offer a one-time pass for noobs such as myself, because a person shouldn't be punished for a mistake made out of ignorance or discoraged from further learning. 

Regards, Iri~

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

Adall, 

As I'm sure you would agree, when one's child becomes a target of criticism in the thread, that's not "fun" or community building. The opposite is true of such situations, in fact. Be poorly made socksty to me, but not my kid. 

I told Pann that my ONE request to close a thread would be the one and only time I asked. As she is aware, I have not asked again. 

As I said, a one-on-one approach is reasonable, as long as the person asking doesn't abuse the request.

Not everyone is from around here, as we say up in the hills. I don't think an inadvertent post is reason to ridicule and mock, but I've learned that in this culture, any tiny mistake is harshly punished. Fine, but there is a learning curve. As a teacher and a mom, I offer a one-time pass for noobs such as myself, because a person shouldn't be punished for a mistake made out of ignorance or discoraged from further learning. 

Regards, Iri~

Eh, I don't agree with you. Typically if there is criticism to be had, there is a reason for it, and those who are being poorly made socksty just to be poorly made socksty... well they are obvious and their comments easily ignored. I just disagree with the principle of thread ownership.

Eh, I don't agree with you. Typically if there is criticism to be had, there is a reason for it, and those who are being poorly made socksty just to be poorly made socksty... well they are obvious and their comments easily ignored. I just disagree with the principle of thread ownership.

We'll simply have to agree to disagree.

We must come from and live in very different cultures. In my culture, children are never acceptable targets for mockery and unpleasant socks.  In my culture, people are assumed to require a bit of leeway in mistakes, because people make mistakes. 

That is all. 

It was on a topic that inadvertently left my family open to heaps of abuse by internet peoples/Crows, and I wasn't happy to have put my child out there in such a way. I felt that my younger son shouldn't be punished for my ignorance of how internet people might view the subject. So I asked Pann to close the thread, which she did, and for which I was grateful. In my case, I simply didn't know that talking about my kid's brony tendencies was a cardinal sin of the interwebz, at least here.

I haven't read the thread, but honestly if you put yer kid out there on an internet forum, you should expect the worst. I cannot believe that there is someone out there so sheltered by the way the internet, and anonymity, reacts to such subjects. If you don't want people crossing the irl line, don't put irl out there to get yer feelings hurt. Yer kid watches a show for little girls, you just put it out there again... -so what, grow a thicker skin. Same thing would of happened if you shared it on facebook, twitter, what-have-you, like most people seem to put everything about their lives on.

I'm glad you had yer thread closed, but shame on yer own ignorance, not the "ignorance" of the internet.

Adall, 

Regards, Iri~

I'm just as vehement about defending and protecting people I care about so I understand where you are coming from. I disregard whatever rules or laws may be present if it means I can shield them and I'll accept whatever the consequences are after they are safe. However, this is a discussion not on how we defend our loved ones but on what the general practice and rules should be regarding "Thread Ownership." 

I don't know of your particular thread that involved your child but for instance there are policies in the Rules of Conduct that address attacks on others. We can click the "Report" button alerting Mods to handle them appropriately which can include deleting the post and giving a warning point to the poster. This would remove the attacks from the thread letting the thread to stay open for continued community discussion. 

We mush come from and live in very different cultures. 

The internet is a HUGE culture clash. It's a very unique forum because it allows peoples from vastly different backgrounds, personalities, cultures, upbringing, ideologies and general views to meet and talk about virtually every subject under the sun. This was the MASSIVE eye opener I had back in 1996 when I first got onto the new and strange thing called the "World Wide Web."

Since then I've had to work within the rules of a given forum from harshly attacking people to trolling (think I might start online classes on how to do it...its such a fun past time) or just plain ignoring others. Over all I still try to be helpful and repetitively polite but that just me. I tend to be the same on or off line. 

I don't mean to get too far off topic but I feel that acknowledging that we have people coming from so many different cultures bring in a vast array of views that the final decision Ace makes wont sit 100% right ANYONE. Ace CoC are basically an education on what THEY want THEIR forums to look and feel like.

When I go to your house I follow your rules and I expect everyone to do the same when they come to mine or they are asked to leave. It's a respect thing. I don't have to agree 100% or even 50%...I just need to respect them or move on.

Without prolonging the needless discussion of my long-ago closed thread: 

I used my one time request to close a thread as an example of why someone might want to have a thread closed. I'm certainly not the only person with a learning curve regarding this particular corner of the internet. 

Hell, I had no idea people in this particular community might be sensitive to several topics that are freely discussed, without rancor, in my happy little corner of the internet and IRL. A one-time "oh socks, I didn't know, plz close the thread" isn't much of a burden for mods. That's part of their job, IMO. 

Happy Thursday,

Iri~

A one-time "oh socks, I didn't know, plz close the thread" isn't much of a burden for mods. That's part of their job, IMO. 

And now multiply that by the current number of backers of Crowfall, or the possible ones in the future.  That's a lot of potential thread closures.

You keep referencing your one-time request, but who is keeping track of this other than you?  Is there a tracker on your profile?  Will the next set of volunteer moderators have any knowledge that your request has already been used?  Can you say with certainty that you will never ask again over the next five years?

Edited by teh_ninjaneer

Sorry you turned into a two-bit carebear whose feelings get hurt over forum banter.

And now multiply that by the current number of backers of Crowfall, or the possible ones in the future.  That's a lot of potential thread closures.

You keep referencing your one-time request, but who is keeping track of this other than you?  Is there a tracker on your profile?  Will the next set of volunteer moderators have any knowledge that your request has already been used?  Can you say with certainty that you will never ask again over the next five years?

I would hope that people have enough integrity to hold to their promise of a one-time-request. Perhaps people learn fast? I know I will never, ever post something that puts anyone I know out there for harsh treatment, nor will I ever post about anything remotely connected to race, gender politics, Kotaku, Wizard101, or magically-enhanced Valyrian steel :D Lesson learned: Don't post anything about which I am personally invested. Easy enough to remember forever. 

Seriously, I sent Pann a PM requesting the thread lock. My PM's here are threaded; isn't that enough of a record of the request? 

I can't extrapolate about the nature of the community in years to come. Maybe it will even evolve to hold space for conversations such as my personal example. I'd love to see a family socks section just for that purpose.  

Regards, 

Iri~

nvm, you answered me clearly.

What can I say? I'm an eternal optimist. There's nothing wrong with choosing a sunny view and hoping for the best. I'm a teacher, I can't operate under any other assumption than that people are sometimes good. Othewise, it would suck to be my student, or my kid, for that matter. 

Clearly many people posting to this thread don't see my point. That's fine, too. I've already used up my one-time-request :D But I would like for others to have that one chance to make a mistake, too. 

Iri~

I would hope that people have enough integrity to hold to their promise...

This isn't solely directed at you but I'm using this quote to address the heart of ALL CoC/RoC/Ace Policy threads.

The reality is a huge NO. Ace or any other forum/company/social group should ever base their rules on the "hope that people are not tools." Rules are there for a reason. To give guidance on what is expected and the repercussions if they are not followed. 

Simplest example of this is virtually every culture on earth has laws against murder and yet people still commit this heinous action. So if you feel that people can be trusted enough to self-govern and not mock little child which they have never meant nor will ever see is beyond naive.

Not all people are jerks all the time...but when they are we need rules that express what is and is NOT allowed along with the consequences of breaking them. And my point is that those rules should ONLY come from one source...ACE. They set this forum up and have the RESPONSIBILITY to provide the structure. Giving that control even in a minor way leads to unnecessary frustration. As the community grows it is only going to spiral farther out of control. OPs should not be given temp or partial Mod rights. There are Mods and their are posters. Ace needs to find the line not to cross they are comfortable with and enforce it. 

What can I say? I'm an eternal optimist. There's nothing wrong with choosing a sunny view and hoping for the best. I'm a teacher, I can't operate under any other assumption than that people are sometimes good. Othewise, it would suck to be my student, or my kid, for that matter. 

Clearly many people posting to this thread don't see my point. That's fine, too. I've already used up my one-time-request :D But I would like for others to have that one chance to make a mistake, too. 

Iri~

Yer like a broken record. We get it, yer a teacher, yer kids a brony and you got yer feelings hurt, and you used some self-titled  "one-time-request". I could jumble those three into any number of paragraphs and spew out an Iridian post. If I wanted to spread this across other topics I could add in that I'm somehow some important buddy to the devs.

But I digress....

...topic ownership should not be a thing so that the community can keep flowing and ideas don't sink to the bottom of the topic graveyard because it doesn't go the way the OP wanted. If it's against ToC split and merge. IP Board gives mods plenty, plenty of easy tools to make life easy.

Maybe it's as simple as not needing thread ownership, but asking mods to close if they also agree that the threading has derailed into bile, attacks and nastiness. Mods can be proactive in this, and members can help by flagging the thread or individual comments for review as we've always been able to.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

Yer like a broken record. We get it, yer a teacher, yer kids a brony and you got yer feelings hurt, and you used some self-titled  "one-time-request". I could jumble those three into any number of paragraphs and spew out an Iridian post. If I wanted to spread this across other topics I could add in that I'm somehow some important buddy to the devs.

But I digress....

...topic ownership should not be a thing so that the community can keep flowing and ideas don't sink to the bottom of the topic graveyard because it doesn't go the way the OP wanted. If it's against ToC split and merge. IP Board gives mods plenty, plenty of easy tools to make life easy.

Oversimplification of my point, snide off-topic personal attack, spreading erroneous rumor. This contributes to the discussion how? 

BTW, you have mistaken me for Chrissy, who DOES know one of the devs. Get your wizards straight. 

I've contributed my opinion, discussed it with an open mind, and now I'm done. 

Have a lovely afternoon,

Iri~

This topic arose again today, so I thought I should bring everyone here up to date on the final decision. 

Actions the OP may request via the Report function: 

• Move thread - If the thread was posted in the wrong forum section, the OP can request for it to be moved. 
  • Locked - The thread may be locked if it is a duplicate/redundant thread.

OPs and others should use the Report function to submit complaints about posts in any thread that are infractions against the RoC. This means that the OP cannot request for specific posts to be removed because they represent dissenting opinions or ideas. We will only remove content that is against the RoC.

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community