Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Champion As It Stands

Celevra

With the Myrmidon and Legionnaire being what they are with Melee DPS, one being more tanky and the other more Mobile, it seems the Champion is less viable unless the Champion is to be seen more as an AOE Glass-cannon 2 Hander of doom type archetype.

What recommendations can we come up with for Artcraft to take into consideration when they begin working on this Archetype?

I was going to go with 2-Hander Axe/Hammer Specialization with Whirlwind, Charge and Slam attacks that do AOE Knockbacks/stuns.

Lets start throwing out ideas for the Design team so we can see the Champion hold its own against the other Melee DPS Archetypes!

"Oh I'm sooooo gonna enjoy playing them Centaurs"

Neither Myrmidon nor Legionnaire is a Melee DPS class. The Myrmidon is a Tank archetype, and the Legionnaire's role has been clarified as Support. Both will have some DPS capabilities of course, but neither one will be able to challenge the Champion's role as the lord of untold slaughter.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

With the Myrmidon and Legionnaire being what they are with Melee DPS, one being more tanky and the other more Mobile, it seems the Champion is less viable unless the Champion is to be seen more as an AOE Glass-cannon 2 Hander of doom type archetype.

What recommendations can we come up with for Artcraft to take into consideration when they begin working on this Archetype?

I was going to go with 2-Hander Axe/Hammer Specialization with Whirlwind, Charge and Slam attacks that do AOE Knockbacks/stuns.

Lets start throwing out ideas for the Design team so we can see the Champion hold its own against the other Melee DPS Archetypes!

I think it's entirely too early to be calling the champion the "least viable dps class". As Jihan touched upon, Myrmidons and Legionaires are tanks and support respectively, leaving Champions to fill the "glass cannon made out of steel" role.

To really understand what the Champion's role will entail we need to get inside the dev's team minds and figure out how they are going to differentiate the Champion from the Myrmidon and the Legionaire, or more generally, how a pure dps class differentiates itself from a tank and a support class.

As we can see from the Legionaire's powers, support classes role will be

A) Providing stat buffs to allies

B) Debuffing enemies stats and protections

C) Limiting/helping mobility of enemies & allies, and displacing enemies.

And from the Knight's powers, tank classes role will be

A) Peeling enemies off squishier targets/general enemy displacement (via the chain attack)

B) Possibly minor crowd control (via shield spin stun)

C) Mitigating damage for allies via shield block (in the knights case) or by being so huge they just soak up fireballs (which is what I assume to be a myrmidon's benefit).

Being that Champion is just considered a dps class (correct me if I'm wrong) we can assume that what he'll lack in the utility of support and tank roles, he'll more than make up for in killing power.

What this might mean for the champion class:

Access to:

severe slowing effects to secure kills on targets

top tier damage

terrain/wall destruction

and (if they ever get around to the idea that introducing incap states is a good idea) instant ganks/ranged ganks.

And it's o.k. that the champions don't have as much utility as tank and support classes. Tank and support classes are designed to line up the kills for the champions. That's synergy at work. Will champions be relatively weak 1 v 1 on an open field like in the Confessor's video? Maybe. But this game isn't and shouldn't be balanced around 1v1 engagements. I'm sure where they lack in some scenarios they'll make up for in other ones, you just have to use your imagination. Personally, I'd rather have a few champions defending the inner walls of a castle thick with narrow streets & catwalks where opponents can't maneuvre around that well instead of a friendly fire class like a confessor or a bulky class like a legionaire who can't seem to make those hairpin turns.

The only thing the devs need to worry about is class diversification, especially as it relates to the melee heroes. If all classes can do the same thing, then there really isn't a point to having a class system.

TL;DR:

Champions will have a different skillset from myrmidons and legionaires and will be just as valuable in large scale fights when backed by support and tank classes. Balancing 1v1 should never be the goal of a game. This is an MMO, and "perfect class balance" will never realistically be achieved.

Edited by Brigand

Given the amount of rampaging they put on knight and legionaire so far, and the fact that legionaire has been reclassified as a support, I'd imagine that champion just has greater damage or more emphasis on producing it in comparison.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

• 2 weeks later...

I am seeing Champions as being the "Just tanky enough to survive poke, while squishy enough to be dealt with" as is needed. If a champion can bait you to coming to them I see it as the champion having the advantage in most fights. Perhaps we'll see false retreats that allow Champions to pincer from behind leaving the enemy a choice of which blade to die to, prolly won't happen outside of castle fights, but would be cool.

Landmimes, the silent killer.

• 2 weeks later...

Given the amount of rampaging they put on knight and legionaire so far, and the fact that legionaire has been reclassified as a support, I'd imagine that champion just has greater damage or more emphasis on producing it in comparison.

Or, the champion is going to be off-the-celing bonkers with twelve charges, sixteen snares, and a way to come back from death twice, but absolutely no support.

• 2 weeks later...