Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
caaaa

Make it exactly like Shadowbane

If anything, I just want the city building concept and character creation please, that'd do it for me.

"Camouflage is the color of fear..  I have no need to hide from my foes.. I have no fear of death.  My colors I wear openly, they proclaim louder than any words, "I am proud to live, I am proud to die."

Just like Shadowbane with updated graphics. Shadowbane was awesome.

As a longtime SB player...no.

While there was great things about Shadowbane, there was problems with it as well and down in the Shadowbane Ghetto, where this thread will probably end up, the former Devs and J. Todd Coleman have been stating some of those problems. The big ones to me are:

1. If they have player built cities and sieges, the penalty isn't so great for losing your last city people where those players quit the game

2. Have it so that Zerging is discouraged. Fighting 3 month long wars, with 8+ hour battles, 3 or more times a week against 300 man zergs just stops being fun and becomes a job.

So no it shouldn't be Shadowbane with updated graphics.

Edited by gauis

Just like Shadowbane with updated graphics. Shadowbane was awesome.

Shadowbane was awesome in concept, but was executed poorly. Either way I had fun in that broken game.

Edited by helix

As a longtime SB player...no.

While there was great things about Shadowbane, there was problems with it as well and down in the Shadowbane Ghetto, where this thread will probably end up, the former Devs and J. Todd Coleman have been stating some of those problems. The big ones to me are:

1. If they have player built cities and sieges, the penalty isn't so great for losing your last city people where those players quit the game

2. Have it so that Zerging is discouraged. Fighting 3 month long wars, with 8+ hour battles, 3 or more times a week against 300 man zergs just stops being fun and becomes a job.

So no it shouldn't be Shadowbane with updated graphics.

Not sure if you played the EMU, but the longest battle I was apart of recently, was a 5 hour siege of CN's R8, only because the code was custarded, therefore the server lag/rubberbanding make it take longer then it should have.  I've also defended a city severely outnumbered, and won handily.  

That being said, we don't want the game exactly like shadowbane, like it or not, casual players keep games alive, and that's why shadowbane is mostly dead.  I have faith that the character optimization will be there, from the developer's posts, to the SS with the 30 ability points.

Considering the Banner showing sieges, I'm super confident that the developers know exactly what should be taken from SB and what should be left behind.  It's just left to be seen whether that will translate into as fun a game as it hyped up.

HfLOYLH.png

Not sure if you played the EMU, but the longest battle I was apart of recently, was a 5 hour siege of CN's R8, only because the code was ****ed, therefore the server lag/rubberbanding make it take longer then it should have.  I've also defended a city severely outnumbered, and won handily.  

That being said, we don't want the game exactly like shadowbane, like it or not, casual players keep games alive, and that's why shadowbane is mostly dead.  I have faith that the character optimization will be there, from the developer's posts, to the SS with the 30 ability points.

Considering the Banner showing sieges, I'm super confident that the developers know exactly what should be taken from SB and what should be left behind.  It's just left to be seen whether that will translate into as fun a game as it hyped up.

No I haven't play the EMU since their reboot. Also to give a little of my guild history from live: Lemerus Bellicus, Crime Syndicate and -X-. I went through the 3 month long war CS had with CN that caused Skorp to form -X- because he got tired of fighting 300 man zergs while running a 50+ man nation. He decided it was time to retire CS tags and start afresh and small. CS never lost a town to CN during that time (It was after a successful D Bane Skorp pulled the plug) and the constant banes turned the game into a job. So defending a city 1 or twice while severely outnumbered is no problem, it is doing it for 3 months straight where it becomes a problem. 

Say hi to Chimpy, Skorp and Alister for me if they are still hanging around.

Edited by gauis

I want slaves to build the city walls, I want to whip them until they drop dead, I want to feed off of their tears and despair.

Invincibility lies in the defence, the chance of victory; in the attack.

No I haven't play the EMU since their reboot. Also to give a little of my guild history from live: Lemerus Bellicus, Crime Syndicate and -X-. I went through the 3 month long war CS had with CN that caused Skorp to form -X- because he got tired of fighting 300 man zergs while running a 50+ man nation. He decided it was time to retire CS tags and start afresh and small. CS never lost a town to CN during that time (It was after a successful D Bane Skorp pulled the plug) and the constant banes turned the game into a job. So defending a city 1 or twice while severely outnumbered is no problem, it is doing it for 3 months straight where it becomes a problem. 

Say hi to Chimpy, Skorp and Alister for me if they are still hanging around.

HI Gauis!! Wow long time.

I remember that time. Few people... probably in single digits understand how difficult and time consuming it was fighting 50 vs 200+ every other night. And winning. Mentally and emotionally draining because those banes lasted HOURS and HOURS. Keeping people from logging out and going back after being wiped or whatever and keeping everyone motivated. While it is a time in the games life that i look back fondly... i would not do it again. 

Edited by skorpion

Shadowbane's graphics were pretty rough, but I seriously doubt they were its undoing.

SB's graphics were good for the time (at least till Lineage 2 came out). People forget how poorly made socksty everything looked back then.

Lets keep the conquest and char building system

The world , cookie cutter citys , pve and well almost ever thing else were trash .

Edited by maarvy

Gee, great idea.  Then it can fail like SB did.  I doubt that's the goal.  Obviously, there's similarities but they must have some twist in mind.  It's thoughts like this that keep me here in these forums being a pain to one and all.

Not quite carebear, but sort of cousin to,

meh, grumpy old lady...

Never underestimate grumpy old ladies.

Shadowbane had alot of good ideas, mainly player driven content, city design, deep class/char design scissors paper stone builds etc...

If Crowfall expanded and fleshout more variations to the strengths and than relook and design and replace the negatives.. mainly

Engame which resulted in the losing faction losing their all. This makes comeback hard, and forces the loser to quit and the winner pretty much leaves too with no opposition to fight. The all of nothing is good as it keeps the tension going, but if there is a comeback for the loser the game would have been much better. The problem is how u balance the game to ensure that its fair for both sides. And the game should fall into a seesaw battle. One idea, is to use supply lines to handle this. Similar to the real world, imagine the Roman empire, they conquered almost all of europe all the way to Britain, but they were really force to build forts to ensure that the kept the lands, and once these forts were overrun pretty much ended the great Roman empire as they lack the resources to keep the forts manned.

Another idea is to have an NPC race start attacking all cities and force players to defend them, allowing the losers time to rebuild their cities.

Also have different starter cities which allows the loser to build out from which is far away from the victors main cities so that the loser can try for a comeback and have a chance to win.

Also have a layered tech tree for buildings so that the fights to take forts, keeps, camps arent trivial affairs. The problem with gw2 and TESO is that its really so easy to take objectives cuz they are never really defended, as a result the focus is mass zerg attacks on keeps and trading of keeps taking. The constant seesaw makes the content boring imo.

For zergs, well pretty much its hard to balance game unless the game forces players into factions which imo is pretty much not a good idea. But group play and counter zerg mechanics design can actually make it detrimental for big zergs. Hence this would discourage zergs and focus on organize and coordinate group play.