Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Knights Of The Mana

GeistBaoh

Seems pretty par-the-course to me. What I'm wondering is if ONLY the knight restores mana through his basic attack.

https://crowfall.com/#/news/first-look-legionnaire-powers

Edited by Jihan

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

That's a rage system, not a mana system. I haven't read anything about the Knight having rage.

In the end everything is a mana system. Mostly named and colored differently for flavor. The rage system is a backwards mana system, an energy system is really the same as well, but normally with quicker regeneration.

Maybe it's me, but having mana on a melee character is not what I'm used too. The Knight having mana sounds weird too me somehow, I rather see it called energy or rage. In the end it's just a name and I will get used to it though.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

In the end everything is a mana system. Mostly named and colored differently for flavor. The rage system is a backwards mana system, an energy system is really the same as well, but normally with quicker regeneration.

Maybe it's me, but having mana on a melee character is not what I'm used too. The Knight having mana sounds weird too me somehow, I rather see it called energy or rage. In the end it's just a name and I will get used to it though.

or call it stamina

mana: pervasive supernatural or magical power.

Maybe the lore for the knights are that we do use magic but not like a caster

or call it stamina

mana: pervasive supernatural or magical power.

Maybe the lore for the knights are that we do use magic but not like a caster

There is already a bar for stamina that every archetype will have.

I've played enough PoE that it just doesn't matter to me.

There have been plenty of games over the history of gaming where mundane classes used mana to fuel their powers- consider the massively influential example of Diablo 1.

More than you ever wanted to know about the etymology of "mana".

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah to be honest most system either deplete energy or build an energy.  You can call it mana... rage... whatever, it functions about the same.

That said on a melee character I believe stamina would be a much better name.  For as the knight performs physical activities he becomes tired and has less energy and the most accurate description of that would be less stamina.

More importantly is that it is scaled correctly but my vote for what it is worth is stamina :).

0f678e9787b873074149c019e1245cc58ac62d89

Stamina is already used to refer to a different resource. Knights use stamina to fuel their blocking.

Tully

My bad, thanks for the correction.

How about...

Endurance... vigor... resilience... fortitude... grit... sturdiness... hardiness... perseverance... vitality... Anything tied to physical conditioning :) .

If melee and casters use a different resource then the Legionnaire's power regen buff stops helping one or the other of them. Let's just leave it as mana.

Tully

If melee and casters use a different resource then the Legionnaire's power regen buff stops helping one or the other of them. Let's just leave it as mana.

But why?

Mana clearly is tied to magic.  Are my melee feats magic or physical in nature?

But why?

If melee and casters use a different resource then the Legionnaire's power regen buff stops helping one or the other of them.

Tully

As many have said it is a name. Maybe the legionnaire's buff should affect the knight regen... maybe it shouldn't.

But ultimately many in this thread do not feel comfortable with the word mana and clearly the devs can make the buff work or not should they choose.

I understand you want to call it mana. I do not. Acting as if the game will break due to a name chage does you little credit my friend. Fare thee well... /bow.

Edited by Anaraion

• 2 months later...

While it doesn't matter what the name is from a design perspective it does matter what the "resource" is. Sometimes it is easier to lump multiple classes into the same resource group for the sake of buffs and debuffs. However I do share sympathy with those who dislike mana being used for physical skills. It seems to have an off putting effect similar to mixing bad food combinations; it wont kill you but it feels incompatible. The few tabletop and larp games I have worked on have shared similar issues with naming conventions.

It's important to make sure everything works properly, then names and colors can be altered later.

Game Designer | KanashiGD.com | @KanashiGD

Elf of Hy'shen Avari