Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
facerip

Frag/pvp Videos. What's Your Favorite?

Then show us an example of what "skillful" mmorpg pvp is.

The darkfall video you posted is like a 1 out of 10 of great display of skill from that game.  There are tons of better skillful videos from DF and DFUW.  Even the quake vide you posted is old and is far below the currently skill level of "good" in that game.

Delusional. Just like all WoW "pvpers."

Edited by cannibal man

Cannibal Man - Future serial killer

I can't even.  You win, I am done with this part of the discussion.

Delusional. Just like all WoW "pvpers."

I see you don't have the ability or probably even a general idea of an example.  It's all good, people like you will always be in the stands with a "better" idea of what the people on the field should be doing.

Anyway, back to posting videos!!! 

Rune was insane when it was relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1mxlNHvlmA

Knight Online PvP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6n6CV1gleQ

WarRock clan war https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSb2-cYiSYI

Guild Wars arena https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO8ZKEw_D70

I used to watch those videos a lot a few years ago.

KO was a lot of fun.  I split a lot of time between that and RYL.  KO had some pretty amazing pvp.

Here is another pvp video of some extremely skill based movement/combo timing.  The pvp is only 1v1 but extremely complicated higher ratings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZveyXikVUCo

I think you can't compare 'good' Pvpers from one game to another, each game has a different set of requirements to be considered good at pvping in that game. I'm not interested in WoW, never was, but you can't say WoW doesn't have good PvPers because you play a different game that has a different perspective on what makes a good pvper. For instance the EvE Online pvp videos I linked are from some really good solo pvpers in the game, but if you don't understand the game's mechanics and the rules then you won't consider them "good" pvpers because you don't understand the game. 

I don't consider the Gunz video linked before, 'good' pvp because I don't understand the game; it looks horrible and messy. 

Edited by zero2none

I think you can't compare 'good' Pvpers from one game to another, each game has a different set of requirements to be considered good at pvping in that game. I'm not interested in WoW, never was, but you can't say WoW doesn't have good PvPers because you play a different game that has a different perspective on what makes a good pvper. For instance the EvE Online pvp videos I linked are from some really good solo pvpers in the game, but if you don't understand the game's mechanics and the rules then you won't consider them "good" pvpers because you don't understand the game. 

I don't consider the Gunz video linked before, 'good' pvp because I don't understand the game; it looks horrible and messy. 

The thing is when you've played them all you start to understand what kinda skills each one can take, you see systems and similar systems and mechanics and similar mechanics, then you kind of develop a standard for which combination of mechanics + tactics is harder to execute. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

The thing is when you've played them all you start to understand what kinda skills each one can take, you see systems and similar systems and mechanics and similar mechanics, then you kind of develop a standard for which combination of mechanics + tactics is harder to execute. 

I slightly agree with you, but there are always different standards for "good" pvpers in any game. You might be the exception, but I doubt that every person that makes a comment in regards to 'good' pvper has tried "them all". 

It's still a fact that some games allow for vastly more skill to be utilised. For example the amount of skill needed to master WoW PvP is nothing compared to the skill ceiling in Quake or a game like Starcraft. Not all games make for good PvP vids though since people can't pick up on all the small things and what is actually going on.

Member of The BlackHand Order

It's still a fact that some games allow for vastly more skill to be utilised. For example the amount of skill needed to master WoW PvP is nothing compared to the skill ceiling in Quake or a game like Starcraft. Not all games make for good PvP vids though since people can't pick up on all the small things and what is actually going on.

Yea it's all relative... WoW high rated arena took a ton of skill relative to what mmorpgs generally require... but obviously it pales in comparison to something like broodwar which had insane mechanical and tactical requirement. 

I think with tab-target there were just certain limitations to mechanical requirements, and that was ok for the mmorpg genre because tab target was fairly common, but now that action combat games are making their push I don't think companies should just aim for requiring a decent amount of skill relative to mmorpgs, they need to look at all the games being played out there and figure out what provides a good challenge to the modern day gamers. 

I'd say every single game with a high skill ceiling generally won't make for a good pvp vid to your random viewer that doesn't know the game well, because they all have so many small things you factor in while fighting that a random viewer would never pick up. 

Have you ever participated in a push for rank 1 in WoW?

Here's a great QW video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cALELmIo8zk

Now that reflex is getting more players, it has really elevated the amount of skill required to do well in an AFPS.

Edited by facerip

Really never found those types of vids very entertaining. I mean anyone no matter of skill can make one, just depends on how fast you can build up enough kill shots to make a video out of it. Straight gameplay vids are fine cuz they show both good and bad but yeah just kill shot vids are very meh to me.

Hydra 7 was pretty awesome + Disc Priests were really awesome to play back then with how aggressive you could play. WoW in general was pretty awesome during this time period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjV8ZgNDWYU

Edited by Zybak

Hydra 7 was pretty awesome + Disc Priests were really awesome to play back then with how aggressive you could play. WoW in general was pretty awesome during this time period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjV8ZgNDWYU

The evolution of RMP from season to season was amazing... it's a shame there weren't many other comps that had that kind of longevity and time to develop. 

The evolution of RMP from season to season was amazing... it's a shame there weren't many other comps that had that kind of longevity and time to develop. 

WLD, LSD (even though I wish it didn't), TSG, RLD, RLS, MLD, MLS, Kitty Cleave (for ferals) have been a thing for a long time as well for those respective classes.

RMP was just top tier for so long because mages haven't ever been bad. The only thing that killed RMP was Disc being terrible so they just got replaced with Druids. 

EDIT: Also RMP has always been good comp for surviving XXX stupid damage cheese comp through spammable mage CC and good rogue peels.

The only thing RMP couldn't stop was a good Kitty Cleave priest rush (fun times!!). Feral immune to poly, Feral Zerk for Fear, Warrior Zerk for fear, BoP blind, Shapeshift novas, Freedom warrior, Bladestorm immune other CC, spell reflect etc. Nothing like taking -32 points from the rank 1 RMP in WOTLK

Rest in Kappas

Edited by Zybak

WLD, LSD (even though I wish it didn't), TSG, RLD, RLS, MLD, MLS, Kitty Cleave (for ferals) have been a thing for a long time as well for those respective classes.

RMP was just top tier for so long because mages haven't ever been bad. The only thing that killed RMP was Disc being terrible so they just got replaced with Druids. 

EDIT: Also RMP has always been good comp for surviving XXX stupid damage cheese comp through spammable mage CC and good rogue peels.

The only thing RMP couldn't stop was a good Kitty Cleave priest rush (fun times!!). Feral immune to poly, Feral Zerk for Fear, Warrior Zerk for fear, BoP blind, Shapeshift novas, Freedom warrior, Bladestorm immune other CC, spell reflect etc. Nothing like taking -32 points from the rank 1 RMP in WOTLK

Rest in Kappas

Yea pretty much all of those comps would shift in and out of the meta frequently though, even though they'd have stretches of a season or two where they were viable then they'd disappear for a while and come back. 

RMPs best attribute was the CC it brought on different DRs for the longest of times.  I stopped playing at the end of season 8 though so that's the timeline my input is coming from.