Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Knight Powers & New Animations - Official Discussion Thread

Once they've added the shield powers, I'm confident that the Knight will look more like a tank and less like a figure skater.

I hope not I love Stephane Lambiel...

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

As far as the minimalist design goes, I love it so far. The only thing that I might criticize is the size of the Health and Resource bars. These two UI features are hands down THE most important, and it might just be my screen, but they are a little small to me. Making them bigger or making them noticeable would be the biggest area of improvement to me.

GW2 health circle was very big and noticeable and easy to find, so that when things were happening to it, the information was relayed to me very quickly and easily without me having to hunt for it and think to much about it. The eye was easily drawn to it, and even in periphery, the information that you were getting wailed on was very clear at all times. Now, they didn't have a stamina or resource bar, but that information was also very bright and noticeable, such that even out of focus it was pretty clear what was going on with your character, with their buff and debuff "section". The problem with this was there was a lot of "condition bloat", so the section that had all the conditions could get pretty frantic and challenging to decipher if you were in the middle of a firefight. Still though, that would be one example I'd posit for a big health bar.

Of course, the health bar doesn't have to be big to be noticeable and easily relay critical information. I noticed that the layout is very reminiscent to the Souls Series (granted, the Souls series' layout is pretty standard and basic in terms of health and resources). Dark Souls information relay was also very noticeable mostly in the animation of the diminishing health and stamina...in that there was an animation to draw your eye, what with the yellow "negative health" racing leftward every time a hit was taken, lasting a second, and then animating again to cause the yellow bar to disappear. This animation, while subtle, was also eye-catching. Other information, such as conditions, debuffs, etc, were also very noticeable through animations over the players avatar, thus keeping the UI uncluttered while still telling players that their character was in agonizing pain and discomfort.

I'd like to see something like this in Crowfall, some way to make the information that your character is in impending suffering eye-catching and the information easily relayed to the player (which I realize is just reiterating the point of having a UI, buuuuut...yeah...)

Like others have been saying, I also find the Knight's attack animations to be very...exaggerated. I like that there is very few visual effects involved beyond the animation itself and the after-image of the weapon to designate hit radius and zone, making the animations look crisp, clear, and clean and above all, not distract attention away from the knight, who should be the main focus (like in FFRomanNumeral, where the VFX is so intense it takes me a minute to find my character again after being blinded by Thundaga). That said, I also think that the Knights animations should have a more martial feel to them as opposed to fanciful ("Lets add realism to the game with gods, and centaurs, and magic...<.<).

As someone who has participated in a lot of martial arts competitions and done a lot of combatives, I can tell you that it is ALWAYS a bad idea to expose your back to your opponent (except for a lot of the more "showman" martial arts, as opposed to combatives,  which I consider to be a different thing entirely). You can argue potential energy, and momentum, and a lot else, bottom line is, you've opened yourself up to an attack that you're opponent can easily capitalize on. I really like the animations from the Kickstarter vids, as those appeared more sturdy, with good foundation in the techniques without too much flair. Sure, it's nice to feel like you're rurouni kenshin with your spins and flips, but with the aesthetic of the knight, I don't think that style is for him, as he has a much more disciplined, martial, and frontline theme attributed to him. I'd like the Knight to keep that gritty lineman feel to his animations, in that he is there to hold the line, stand his ground, and protect his team. And how many linemen block with back (and not suffer major injuries)?

Another thing is not a huge fan of the over-the-head-WWE shield/chair slam. Why on earth would I disarm myself, especially my shield which is my main line of defense and survival? It's like throwing your sword/dagger to impale an enemy in the movies, you just don't go around throwing your weapons away when they have so much more versatility and use when they're in your hands. Also, taking your shield off also mean putting it back on, and not all of them are very easy to fit back into place. And with your sword going through your shield during the animation, makes it pretty unappealing in my opinion. Pretty nitpicky, I know, but still. If I'm going to disarm my shield, it would also mean I sheathe my sword, which is just so much hassle to impersonate Brock Lesnar. I would rather see a shield backhanded slam (like in the kickstarter) to follow up the shield edged punch. This would keep the shield in a more defensible and practical position and still keep the defender aesthetic to the Knight without him going all John Cena on us.

And about not mixing the sword and shield in the basic attack: personally, I'm fine with it. By keeping the main-hand and off-hand weapon animations separate, it makes the knight easier to animate when they are holding different items in the main-hand and off-hand without having to make a whole lot of flavor animations, and also makes distinguishing the abilities very clear and easy to differentiate. (...and also, because I'm still hoping that equipping different weapons in different slots will grant us access to different abilities (like how GW2 treats weapon equips and skills). I think they've already said somewhere that weapons will be mostly used to just determine damage type, but still hoping they try a weapon equip system similar to the GW2 model so that weapon customization and equip slots will matter (my dream is to play something similar to GW2's depth, with TERA's combat satisfaction). I mean, it could happen...the knight can already equip a bow for new abilities and skills, and I'd imagine the basic attack combinations would be tougher to pull off with a bow in the main hand slot...)

Edited by RKNM

In the UI video we can see the following positive and negative effects. It's interesting to see the Campfire and Hunger Damage effects. It appears to me that the Hunger Damage will be a kind of constant damage over time, maybe varying in intensity depending on which part of the world / universe the character plays. 

F20KKmc.png?1

Also I wonder what this is :

1lbZbwc.png?1

Baby, sphinx or rock?  :P (5:55-5:59)

Am I the only one that really enjoyed the Knight animations? I feel like character weight can't really be shown by looking at a game. It's more of something that you feel while you actually PLAY the game.

As for weapons having physics with players I really think this would be a bad idea. Constantly seeing swords bounce off people would look really jarring and take away a lot of smoothness from the gameplay.

HOWEVER!!

I do think it would be awesome to tastefully implement those physics with for instance a knights block skill. If a Knight blocks your sword swing with his shield THEN your character's sword and body recoil awkwardly. That would be a much more tasteful way to do it and would also really feel like you got blocked.

Seems like a less popular opinion, but love the knight. Can't wait to play with him.

Loved the ui video. No unnecessary things on screen. Love the wind in the trees.