Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sengi

A Shield Is Not A Folding Chair.

The knight has this shield knockdown attack where he lifts the shield over his head with both hands and clobbers his enemy with it. This is not quite what I thought a shield knockdown would look like.

The thing is, I thought every archetype is supposed to have a certain feel to it, and a knight is supposed to be, well, knightly. I picture him as a stern and competent fighter, but this looks like a goofy pop culture reference to me and makes him look like a comic relief character.

I don’t want to be a spoilsport, but you have to consider that this is one of the knight’s basic attacks and the player is going to see it all the time. How long do you think it takes until it gets old and it just spoils the overall feel of the archetype?

I'll just leave this here:

E96FC3Q.gif

Darksouls 2 and Lineage 2 (scratch that I just looked at some videos, L2 looks horrible now :D) have some nice shield moves/animations.

Definately worth checking out for some inspiration.

I agree with the 2 guys above me... it looks kinda gimicky atm

Edited by freeze

Yeah well that's just like your opinion, man.

Seriously though these were just a few of the ability's they will have and likely will fit better once we see the whole kit. Besides it should be clear by now that ACE isn't really going for the traditional definitions and views of these archetype names. Just because its name is Knight doesn't mean it HAS to work a certain way or like other "knight" classes from other games. This is how CFs Knight will work.

Also reading the Bio on the Knight info page on the main site it should be clear there also he isn't that valorous righteous knight type we are used to.

Edited by pang

The knight has this shield knockdown attack where he lifts the shield over his head with both hands and clobbers his enemy with it. This is not quite what I thought a shield knockdown would look like.

The thing is, I thought every archetype is supposed to have a certain feel to it, and a knight is supposed to be, well, knightly. I picture him as a stern and competent fighter, but this looks like a goofy pop culture reference to me and makes him look like a comic relief character.

I don’t want to be a spoilsport, but you have to consider that this is one of the knight’s basic attacks and the player is going to see it all the time. How long do you think it takes until it gets old and it just spoils the overall feel of the archetype?

I... I don't think that would ever get old for me. I think it would make me smile a little every time. XD But I can understand where you're coming from, as far as what kind of move you'd be expecting.

I... I don't think that would ever get old for me. I think it would make me smile a little every time. XD But I can understand where you're coming from, as far as what kind of move you'd be expecting.

If I ended up playing a Knight I could see myself laughing every time I performed this move.  Naturally I would be yelling "Watcha gonna do when the Hulkster runs wild on you?" each time I hit someone with it.

Yeah well that's just like your opinion, man.

Seriously though these were just a few of the ability's they will have and likely will fit better once we see the whole kit. Besides it should be clear by now that ACE isn't really going for the traditional definitions and views of these archetype names. Just because its name is Knight doesn't mean it HAS to work a certain way or like other "knight" classes from other games. This is how CFs Knight will work.

Also reading the Bio on the Knight info page on the main site it should be clear there also he isn't that valorous righteous knight type we are used to.

Yes, I know. But apparently I’m not the only one who thinks this.

The point is not that it doesn’t look valorous or righteous but that it looks cheesy.

The whole lore of CF is very dark with this whole “winter is coming”-thing going on. There is death and destruction everywhere and all hope is lost and so on. I think this doesn’t fit well with comedic animations.

Of course the knight is not going to be like Sir Lancelot but some kind of dark antihero. But this kind of character should be even more serious.

Edited by Sengi

Yes, I know. But apparently I’m not the only one who thinks this.

The point is not that it doesn’t look valorous or righteous but that it looks cheesy.

The whole lore of CF is very dark with this whole “winter is coming”-thing going on. There is death and destruction everywhere and all hope is lost and so on. I think this doesn’t fit well with comedic animations.

Of course the knight is not going to be like Sir Lancelot but some kind of dark antihero. But this kind of character should be even more serious.

Using ones shield as a weapon whether its the traditional looking shield slam like freeze posted above or an over the head strike looks pretty dark and brutal to me.

I'll just leave this here:

This. The coolest shield stun. Especially in this "looking-aside-despicable" way. xD

However. The crowfall knight is not a shiny knight. See archtype info. He is a lost knight. A shadow of his former self. He was a shiny knight, yes. But he got disenchanted. He is highly frustrated deep within himself. That he still does his duty is due to the fact of his former strong and knightly will. So i would absolutely understand if THIS (crowfall) knight sometimes explodes, well, a bit unchivalrous. ;) And this shield stun is a perfect implementation of this.

So: there might be better ways but i like this one and i think it meets the story.

Edited by Kraahk

Using ones shield as a weapon whether its the traditional looking shield slam like freeze posted above or an over the head strike looks pretty dark and brutal to me.

C’mon don’t tell me that you don’t see the difference. It is slapstick humour, so it is kind of dark and brutal but also hilarious.  

People gotta keep in mind there will be promotion classes that may add abilities that overwrite some of the base ones... maybe there is a folding chair shield promotion class, maybe there is captain america, maybe there is spartan warrior. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

The problem I have with the animation is that the knight supposedly still has his sword in his main-hand while two-handing his shield over his head.  If the knight was under the effect of a disarm (like the ones possible in WoW), and this was a hidden retaliate type attack only available when disarmed then sure it makes perfect sense.  Or, assuming the animation is long enough, if the Knight planted his sword in the ground by his side then wielded his shield like a flimsy folding chair.

Luke I am your Uncle... Bob.  What, my sister Padmè never mentioned me?

C’mon don’t tell me that you don’t see the difference. It is slapstick humour, so it is kind of dark and brutal but also hilarious.  

If he next did a drop kick then played to the crowd sure. But its just a shield attack, a pretty brutal one by the looks of it.

It's an angry shield bash to the face, what's not to like about it?

Seriously. I actually think its pretty tame, would love to see even more brutal stuff for this or any melee class really. Can't wait to see what the Champion animations look like.

My only problem with the folding chair face bash move is that it takes a few seconds to get your armored arm in and out of a shield's enarmes. You can't simply shift your grip on the fly as he appears to. With that said, realism isn't my primary design priority preference, and I'd have no problem playing the knight I've seen in these videos.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully