Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Volunteer Moderators Wanted

We are looking for a few good men (and women!) to help keep topics topical, trolls wrangled and conversations detoxified. 

Volunteer moderators do not gain any special advantage, x-ray vision or superpowers. There is no compensation given – no early access to testing, no pledge package upgrades, no free cookies and milk. The ‘tour of duty’ will last for three months, after which you may apply to rejoin the group after a 90-day break. (We feel that limiting the term will help prevent burn-out as well as giving more people the opportunity to participate as moderators if they want to give it a try.) 

Members of the Volunteer Moderator Team are considered ambassadors-at-large for ArtCraft Entertainment and the Crowfall community. As such, they are expected to conduct themselves accordingly. This does not mean they have to agree with everything that’s said on the forums, including posts from official ACE staff, but that even when disagreeing they do so with courtesy and respect. Argumentative, discordant behavior is not acceptable.

Must-haves: 

·       Must be at least 18 years of age

·       Must have been a member of the forum for at least 30 days

·       Must have a post count of at least 150 

·       Must have a “clean record” on the forum: no warning points, suspensions or bans within the last 90 days

If you would like to throw your hat into the ring, please answer the questions below in an email to support@artcraftent.com using the subject line: Vol mod application [your forum name].

• Real name
  • Forum handle
  • Email address
  • Date of birth
  • City, State (if applicable), Country
  • Primary language
  • Secondary language
  • What qualities do you possess that you feel will help you be a good volunteer moderator?

Due to the volume of applications we anticipate, only those who are selected for further consideration will be contacted.

Frequently Asked Questions

1) What is the time commitment?

We don't have scheduled times. All we ask is that volunteers remain reasonably active and let us know if they are going to be off the grid for more than a few days. If someone is inactive about a week with no contact, we will consider that a resignation and deactivate the volunteer account.

2) How much leeway are mods given? For example, do I use my best judgment for giving up to the first three warning points on an account, but if the user would be on his fourth or higher point would I need to turn it over to a senior mod or you?

When in doubt, mods will bounce around a situation among themselves and or with me in the Slack channel. In cases that are really deep in the gray, we try to lean on the side of the poster and give them a warning rather than a warning point. And, users always have the option of sending in a Support ticket if they feel they were given a warning or warning point in error. 

3) What kind of infrastructure do you have in place to support the mod team?

There is a private forum area and a Slack channel. To date, that's worked well for us.

Edited by Pann
Added FAQ

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

I probably won't end up handing out the most warnings and suspensions, but I've had my fair share of corralling little board warriors with much bigger padded helmets than I've seen here. I can handle 50 more contributory posts in the next week.

I can't deny that it's a tempting offer, but I'm lazy and couldn't be bothered doing any extra work...  :P

Question though; are volunteer mods expected to log on everyday and be active or could they just come on when they feel like?

Edited by zero2none

what do you think? 

Ofc you have to be on everyday, you got a job to do.

Volunteering does not work that way. ;)

Lets say you volunteer for a game company. This company hands you a guildine of do's and dont's and what they expect of you. Since you would be volunteering for said company, they will not expect you to be online each day. But on a regular basis, so you can do your job and be up to date of your surroundings.

Also, you could have a job, a family and maybe some other stuff preventing you from volunteering. Pann as a veteran of volunteering knows all this anyway.

TLDR: Im sure your are not expected to be online daily or 24/7 but on a regular basis. :D

Also, you could have a job, a family and maybe some other stuff preventing you from volunteering. Pann as a veteran of volunteering knows all this anyway.

we are talking about gamers here, we do not have lives.

Its a huge responsibility to keep the fluffers in check on this board, so they do not get out of control and demand dungeons in their EK's again.

At least on boards I moderated in my past gaming career, I was expected to be on the boards once a day.

we are talking about gamers here, we do not have lives.

Its a huge responsibility to keep the fluffers in check on this board, so they do not get out of control and demand dungeons in their EK's again.

At least on boards I moderated in my past gaming career, I was expected to be on the boards once a day.

Trust me, i know what i am talking about. ;)

But volunteers are not slaves and work better when they are not forced to be online daily. Most of them will do that on their own accord anyway.

There are some nasty legal issues that can come into play if you have any kind of specific work requirement for your volunteers.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

There are some nasty legal issues that can come into play if you have any kind of specific work requirement for your volunteers.

That's actually a fair point.

fine, I guess giving the slaves, I mean mods more choice is a good thing.

Edited by zinnie