Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Animation Techno Mumbo Jumbo - Official Discussion Thread

Pann

Unrelated question:

When characters use melee abilities such as shield slam, when does the ability check for the presence of an opponent?

When the button is pressed

or

When the skill activates

With Conal skills such as the shield knock down, does the skill affect the entire cone at once, or does it work as a shockwave and hits targets as it goes outward?

If the latter, if an opponent is between you and your conal ability, will it block the ability form hitting someone behind him?

we are trying to make it behave like a typical MMO Kinematic controller when it comes to turning, starts and stops.
To solve the sloppiness of the drift in a Dynamic controller, we use a counterbalancing thruster on the front of the rocket belt to bring the character to an instant stop.

As a ranged player, this irks me. Leading a target properly is frustrating when they can instantaneously change directions. This is much more pronounced with slow projectiles like arrows.

Edited by txteclipse

As a ranged player, this irks me. Leading a target properly is frustrating when they can instantaneously change directions. This is much more pronounced with slow projectiles like arrows.

Yeah im not impressed that they are going with the "turn on a dime, and start/stop instantly" thing either. But if they can't get momentum and inertia to feel right it would feel really floaty as well. Gunna have to wait and see how it turns out and give dat feedback.

Edited by destrin

"Float like a Butterfly.... Sting like a Misplaced Decimal Point" - Xarrayne 2018

YouTube Channel

That was a really fun video, thanks.

Is the Legionnaire's horse torso (horso?) mostly one bone? The horse spine looks awfully rigid, contributing to the stiff feel of the Legionnaire's movements.

Anyway, everything's looking really good. My unsolicited advice resulting from this video is that the more dramatic each ability animation is, the more repetitive those animations will feel when we're using them over and over in a battle. Erring on the side of being a little understated might be preferable.

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.

Yeah im not impressed that the are going with the "turn on a dime, and start/stop instantly" thing either. But if they can't get momentum and inertia to feel right it would feel really floaty as well. Gunna have to wait and see how it turns out and give dat feedback.

I agree with you about the floating feeling. As we are able while running IRL to stop or change direction almost instantly, it makes sense that the same thing happens in a game that tries to recreate the effects of real-world physics. A character progressively slowing down when a player tries to stop would probably feel unresponsive.

Still waiting to see how client-side prediction turns out for you guys. Unity gives you very little support here if you use their PhysX system. Having implemented rollback resolution in Unity myself, it's a huge pain and you end up needing to re-write most of the physics yourself to pull it off.

Edited by recatek

Yeah im not impressed that they are going with the "turn on a dime, and start/stop instantly" thing either. But if they can't get momentum and inertia to feel right it would feel really floaty as well. Gunna have to wait and see how it turns out and give dat feedback.

I had the same reaction - if we are going the lengths to get real physics then why not see where that goes in terms of movement.  Just because traditional MMOs have "stop on a dime" doesn't mean CF has to do the same... unless that is what ends up feeling best.

Recently I have been playing World of Warships; it has momentum and inertia meaning big fat battleships are slow to accelerate and have pretty darn wide turning radii.  Projectiles have drop depending on the caliber of the gun and distance to target.  Put the two together and accurate fire takes a good eye and anticipation of enemy movement.  It all works there in that environment.

So, what would work best for CF?

rSHxVEY.gif

It seems like you'd be able to adjust the friction (between player and ground) within the physics model to get the Pill stopping quickly enough without having to apply a counter force and make stops instant. 

Luke I am your Uncle... Bob.  What, my sister Padmè never mentioned me?