Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zomnivore

We Have Enough Information To Make High Level Judgements On Gameplay.

Hi, yal.

We've seen game play videos that show a general rough aim at what they want.

They've seeded enough information in those early release videos of the gameplay to make some judgements on their goals.

So my question to yal is what do you think those judgements are?

Yal are nerds, have at it.

Hi, yal.

We've seen game play videos that show a general rough aim at what they want.

They've seeded enough information in those early release videos of the gameplay to make some judgements on their goals.

So my question to yal is what do you think those judgements are?

Yal are nerds, have at it.

They pretty much say things can and probably will change a lot as development goes on... so I don't think we can make too many judgments on gameplay yet. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

In term of the quality of the animations, models and effects, it's better than what I could have imagined. I was under the impression that they would have slightly improved what we were shown in the KS video, but when I saw the Confessor I was just thinking "wowww".

As for the gameplay, it's hard to tell since we've only seen two ~30 seconds videos so far of the characters running and hitting stationary targets.  :P

We've seen some combat animations of single characters fighting combat dummies. That's not at all what I think of in my concept of Crowfall's gameplay.

Strategic layer, economic layer, political layer, these are all just as crucial to gameplay as tactical combat. And one character fighting dummies with an archetype's base powers isn't even a good representation of end state tactical combat with groups of players on each side, all with promotions and disciplines.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I fully expect some rather significant changes to be made. They have been talking about the character pills and how they are trying to keep it part of the physics simulation etc, so it is likely that certain revisions will occur. It is far to early to say we have seen enough, even though what we have seen is pretty cool for as early as it is.

I would say spell "y'all" appropriately.

Other than that, the game is mostly fine so far and nothing else really stands out as bad from what we currently know about gameplay. Other facets have some issues, but gameplay looks good!

How dare you taunt me with all this nerdness and not feed me the answers to the test. Gah.

Classic nerd.

Personally speaking I think they're taking a lot of queues from smite, and trying to do it better...as well as the normal stuff. Really trying to make combat not feel like mmo combat...which generally speaking is a good thing.

Edited by Zomnivore

How dare you taunt me with all this nerdness and not feed me the answers to the test. Gah.

Classic nerd.

Personally speaking I think they're taking a lot of queues from smite, and trying to do it better...as well as the normal stuff. Really trying to make combat not feel like mmo combat...which generally speaking is a good thing.

It feels like mmo combat, just not your run of the mill western mmo combat... eastern mmos been doing action combat for ages.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

I'm a big monster hunter fan but thats the only eastern thing outside of dark souls that I've got any experience with...that really grabbed me (and that I can think of at the moment) I've steered clear of eastern mmos because the only thing I hear consistently about them, is that they're a grind. I've had fun with grinds and can't accomidate them into my play anymore to the extent that previous mmos needed from me to sell "progression' as an experience.

Definitely don't understand eastern mmos at all in any real appreciable way.

Edited by Zomnivore

I'd say it's a bit early to comment as I'd rather see how combat unfolds but in terms of animation and fluidity it looks nice. It also seems very reflexive and not too static/slow so it will lead to fast paced / exciting gameplay.  I also think over the next year(s) we will see decent strides which is even better :P

We've seen some combat animations of single characters fighting combat dummies. That's not at all what I think of in my concept of Crowfall's gameplay.

Strategic layer, economic layer, political layer, these are all just as crucial to gameplay as tactical combat. And one character fighting dummies with an archetype's base powers isn't even a good representation of end state tactical combat with groups of players on each side, all with promotions and disciplines.

I'm with Jihan, so far we've only see a bit of combat. There's questions out there on crafting, campaigns mechanics. itemization, etc. So far now, I have no judgement because not much has been shown outside of combat and combat is typically not a deal breaker for me, but these other systems very much could be if not put together well.

Edited by purplestreak

I'm not really expecting anything amazing from the combat itself, it looks pretty standard for an action MMO.  Where I'm really hoping the game will shine is the strategic layer.

Like what exactly? if you do not mind me asking

Like what exactly? if you do not mind me asking

I want to feel like where we place our people and the areas we claim have meaning and impact.  

I want to feel like taking over that small fort on that hill to the west is an important thing and not just a thing to do to pass the time since we're online.  

I want to feel like there is a reason to split up our forces to guard multiple objectives instead of just running around in the largest zergy blob that can be mustered in one area.  

I want to feel like our choices as to where we attack/defend and where we sacrifice and allow to fall to the enemy have an impact to the long term war effort.

Edited by Shadowmant

I want to feel like where we place our people and the areas we claim have meaning and impact.  

I want to feel like taking over that small fort on that hill to the west is an important thing and not just a thing to do to pass the time since we're online.  

I want to feel like there is a reason to split up our forces to guard multiple objectives instead of just running around in the largest zergy blob that can be mustered in one area.  

I want to feel like our choices as to where we attack/defend and where we sacrifice and allow to fall to the enemy have an impact to the long term war effort.

All of those are valid wants. At the same time, though, I want to be able to log in at least some of the time with no real plans, round up some mates, and go find something to burn down without having to have a big strategic conversation about it every single time.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

The game itself as not even entered Alpha so it is to soon in my opinion to be judging anything.  However, that being said.  I'm thrilled they are showing progress in what they are working on.

I find it really exciting that Crowfall is mixing strategy and MMO elements, the feeling that our actions have a meaning and an impact is important for me too, and I'm pretty sure we'll experience it while playing.

All of those are valid wants. At the same time, though, I want to be able to log in at least some of the time with no real plans, round up some mates, and go find something to burn down without having to have a big strategic conversation about it every single time.

Agreed, with the campaigns duration being quite long, players will probably not be disadvantaged much for spending some time doing personal things or just burning things down.  :P

Edited by courant101