Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Verot

Making Eks Matter To Everyone

I think I might be dyslexic because I thought this thread said "Making Elks Matter to Everyone" and I thought it was going to be a thread about the deer people.

Why have EK's at all, unless it is just for fundraising?

Two reasons. One, there will be a large portion of the player base who will be interested in EKs. The number of people who will play zero import are probably pretty small compared to the total number of players. Even in the Dregs, there will probably be some campaigns that allow for imports. Two, ACE needs to make money, and EKs are a big way for them to make money. 

Just because there are people who don't care about EKs, don't make the mistake of assuming that no one cares about them. 

On the topic of the thread, I don't know what they could do to make EKs have more of an impact on CWs. If EKs give greater advantages in CWs, then we run the risk of having an Uncle Bob situation, or worse, making the game P2W. The bonuses from relics and artifacts should hopefully incentivize players to form guild EKs. If the bonuses aren't enough, they can be made more powerful, but it's a slippery slope. They have to be careful to not make them so powerful that they become required.

Just because there are people who don't care about EKs, don't make the mistake of assuming that no one cares about them. 

oh, we totally understand.

The Wizkids need some place to play dress-up, we get that.

What we are against is ACE making incentives to stay in the EK for pvpers.  Relics and Artifacts need to be housed inside the EK for pvpers to get the bonuses. Its not as much of an issue for me, since I got some houses for free during KS, but later on pvpers would have to build houses to store these trophies

I'm with Adall on this.

I don't consider myself "hardcore" whatever that means, but I do not wish to play in a "safe" PVP environment. If I did, there are countless options out there (MOBA, FPS, RTS, CCG, Arena/BGs in mmos, etc).

I'm looking forward to the challenges that The Dregs and other rulesets can provide without any premade setup. Tournaments being the exception if they aren't totally gamey and should fill the void you seem to be attempting to. "Hardcore" guilds that don't care about the winnings in the CW aren't going to care about them anymore if they are in the EK. Bragging rights are enough for some folks, not everyone needs a prize.

Beyond buffs/perks that impact the CW and possible RL profit, I have no intention of building my EK nor spending a great deal of time in anyone else's. If I'm expected/required to spend a lot of time in the EKs, I'll probably not play.

I completely get what your saying, and by no means was I advocating increasing the EK impact on the CW. I'm suggesting that given the correct tools the EK can become a meaningful place even for the hardcore folks, not that it has to be. I.E it can be a testing ground for strategies to be implemented in future CWs.

What we are against is ACE making incentives to stay in the EK for pvpers.  Relics and Artifacts need to be housed inside the EK for pvpers to get the bonuses. Its not as much of an issue for me, since I got some houses for free during KS, but later on pvpers would have to build houses to store these trophies

Three things:

1. It is no more silly to build up an EK than it is to spend all your time grinding video game battles as a guinea-pig man (because small hitbox) engaging other "hardcore" fantasy warriors of the internet in combat for virtual goodies/video game bragging rights from behind the walls of your awesome guild fort you just spent the last two days cutting down virtual trees for. 

2.  Very, very few people who play Crowfall will not be pvpers. 

3.  It is entirely possible to work on a EK AND be competitive in campaigns.  Some games do require you, or at least provide options for you, to increase your PvP awesomeness outside of grinding PvP ceaselessly.  This is not necessarily a bad thing when kept within reasonable limits.        

Edited by Regulus

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

So, you don't want EKs to matter for the CWs, is that it? You're happy with the status quo? That's fine. I like both aspects of the game and don't feel like the EKs need anything to cater to those who only care about CWs, so in that we are in agreement.

I respect your opinion, but I wish you would provide it without the blatant condescension. It will be the people playing "dress-up" as you call it that will be paying the bills post-launch to keep this game running. I would think that would be of interest to you.

So, you don't want EKs to matter for the CWs, is that it? You're happy with the status quo? That's fine. I like both aspects of the game and don't feel like the EKs need anything to cater to those who only care about CWs, so in that we are in agreement.

I respect your opinion, but I wish you would provide it without the blatant condescension. It will be the people playing "dress-up" as you call it that will be paying the bills post-launch to keep this game running. I would think that would be of interest to you.

My opinion on the EK is this:

"Make the kingdoms as big, beautiful with as many features as you'll ever need, just don't force me to play there."  Its actually quite simple.

And yes, I know the PvE'ers will be the ones paying for all the cosmetic dress-up fluff, and they are the part of the playerbase that is most likely to spend the most money on the game in the long run. Why do you think ACE made the EK in the first place? They could easily have made the game with just the campaign worlds and attracted a majority of the PvP crowd, but there's no money in that.

Three things:

1. It is no more silly to build up an EK than it is to spend all your time grinding video game battles as a guinea-pig man (because small hitbox) engaging other "hardcore" fantasy warriors of the internet in combat for virtual goodies/video game bragging rights from behind the walls of your awesome guild fort you just spent the last two days cutting down virtual trees for. 

2.  Very, very few people who play Crowfall will not be pvpers. 

3.  It is entirely possible to work on a EK AND be competitive in campaigns.  Some games do require you, or at least provide options for you, to increase your PvP awesomeness outside of grinding PvP ceaselessly.  This is not necessarily a bad thing when kept within reasonable limits.        

1: It is silly to play The Sims featuring Barbies Dreamhouse Party within a PvP game that has the tagline Game of Thrones meets Eve Online.

2: I actually believe the PvE crowd will be the majority in the end, because of how genius the EK idea is.

3: yes, some games do require you to maintain some form of PvE to boost PvP stats. However CF will have passive lvl'ing, so theres really no point being in the EK at all. Any PvP'er with a shred of dignity will join the 0% Import Band thus not needing any resources from campaigns to bring into the EK.

1: It is silly to play The Sims featuring Barbies Dreamhouse Party within a PvP game that has the tagline Game of Thrones meets Eve Online.

2: I actually believe the PvE crowd will be the majority in the end, because of how genius the EK idea is.

3: yes, some games do require you to maintain some form of PvE to boost PvP stats. However CF will have passive lvl'ing, so theres really no point being in the EK at all. Any PvP'er with a shred of dignity will join the 0% Import Band thus not needing any resources from campaigns to bring into the EK.

Why do you think any PvE'ers would purchase Crowfall?  You think EKs are such a huge draw for people who generally dislike PvP that they would buy a game based on hardcore, competitive PvP with options like full loot?  Doesn't that seem a little bit unlikely to you? A mean, sure, maybe someone would, but they would either be very confused about the nature of the game or equally confused about how EKs work.  It appears, based on your posts in this thread, that you have some sort of grudge against a player type that is not even really going to be part of Crowfall--unless you mean dedicated crafters, perhaps?  

As a crafter, you'd want a decent EK (probably) because you potentially sell your wears there--and maybe attract other crafters to set up some sort of merchant kingdom.  You could then use your vast wealth, skill and resources to effect the outcomes of campaigns without raising a sword.  Is this an example of "Barbie's Dreamhouse"?

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

Why do you think any PvE'ers would purchase Crowfall?  You think EKs are such a huge draw for people who generally dislike PvP that they would buy a game based on hardcore, competitive PvP with options like full loot?  Doesn't that seem a little bit unlikely to you? A mean, sure, maybe someone would, but they would either be very confused about the nature of the game or equally confused about how EKs work.  It appears, based on your posts in this thread, that you have some sort of grudge against a player type that is not even really going to be part of Crowfall--unless you mean dedicated crafters, perhaps?  

As a crafter, you'd want a decent EK (probably) because you potentially sell your wears there--and maybe attract other crafters to set up some sort of merchant kingdom.  You could then use your vast wealth, skill and resources to effect the outcomes of campaigns without raising a sword.  Is this an example of "Barbie's Dreamhouse"?

I believe when you basically get a whole large map to yourself where you can build castles, create a community and set up shops it will attract the PvE crowd.

EK by itself will draw in crafters and PvE people,  and there will be easy campaigns without full loot where these people can hide and still get a sense of the game.

The Campaign ruleset feature lets ACE create rules as they like, so we could see a carebear campaign without full loot that is a lot easier than the harder and more demanding pvp campaigns. 

I completely get what your saying, and by no means was I advocating increasing the EK impact on the CW. I'm suggesting that given the correct tools the EK can become a meaningful place even for the hardcore folks, not that it has to be. I.E it can be a testing ground for strategies to be implemented in future CWs.

Maybe it's just my view of what makes someone or a group "hardcore" but testing or practicing in the safety of their backyard before going out to fight the kids down the block seems a bit out of place. For me, the best practice has been simply trying and many times losing in a actual setup, not simulation. I get what you are talking about, but the "hardcore" folks on the fringe that I believe you called it, are there for a reason. I believe the majority of folks will be more in the middle and multiple ways/reason to play in the EKs & CWs is a great idea, just have it targeted at the right audience.

The CW and especially Dregs and more difficult rulesets should provide all the entertainment needed for the crowd that gravitates towards it. If the EK offers something "better" or that is missing, then there is an issue. If the so called "hardcore" do want something offered in the EKs, then to me, they aren't quite living up to the the silly title.

Edited by allein

I honestly think the EKs are just going to end up being a glorified trophy room and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Once everyone realizes that eks don't mean squat, then their cash cow will dwindle.  Once their cash cow dwindles, they will have to make ek's mean something or fold up the game.  It will be their only source of income.  Nobody I know plays a video game for the sake of winning.  At least I never have.

They have tied most everything to eks with the ks and presale game packages.  Once people realize the Zero value of this There will be an up roar.

I am at this point encouraging everyone in our guild to quit buying until they decide what route the game will be taking. Most EVERYTHING in this game is up in the air and most everything is based on what they can technically do or not do.  We will see how close their vision is to what is actually gonna be released.

I'm sure they will diversify their payment model with skins and other cosmetic things as well. Also don't forget about the VIP membership that a lot of people will be buying as well. I'm sure they'll be making money off of character services as well like name changes, character recustomization, guild related things, and the infamous "pay to lose" system that may or may not become a thing.

There's a lot of different ways they can monetize this game and from what I've seen so far the Crowfall community doesn't mind actually paying for a game that gives them what they want. The average person that's backed the game has spent $105 and that's incredible considering we haven't seen any real gameplay yet.

Edited by Zybak

They're not just playgrounds for carebears, 

um, yes they are.

If I play in a 0% Import ruleset, I would not need to export any resources to my private fluffgarden, since I would not need to build anything or craft anything before the next campaign.

ACE have stated several times that EK will be optional, and I enjoy knowing that players that partake in dress-up and playing with their dolls can have their separate place far away from me.

um, yes they are.

If I play in a 0% Import ruleset, I would not need to export any resources to my private fluffgarden, since I would not need to build anything or craft anything before the next campaign.

ACE have stated several times that EK will be optional, and I enjoy knowing that players that partake in dress-up and playing with their dolls can have their separate place far away from me.

Yep! This a totally valid way to play. So is being interested in both however.

You may see these resources as pointless, but someone like myself who also plans to play dregs a lot may think differently as I'm interested in the EK too. CF may be pvp-focused, but let's not ignore the fact that CF is not just appealing to people who care about the campaigns only. 

So with all that said, I'm totally fine if the EKs do no matter to everyone. They really don't need to and shouldn't matter to everyone. But, they should "matter" to the people who care about them.

Edited by purplestreak

Me personally, I want ek to have to offer power that was garnered in the CW.  Not tied to structures or how big and fluffy your EK is, but a base building that comes with everyone's account that can house things from the CW for power.  This makes eks have a purpose for everyone...This power can even be tied to participation not based on winning.

It would require everyone to have at least a base ek and it would require everyone to participate in the CW's.  I feel crowfall is missing the boat.  They can make Eks' wield power garnered from CW's.  It would add depth to the game as well.  This stays within the theme of not buy to play and making everyone do CW's.  

Eliminate the ek band. Make player housing import into every CW at a base Unupgraded state (allow bands of players to enter together adding their property to form larger plots). Some CW's can have a "vault" that holds limited items safely some will have no such safety. Maybe the vaults are breakable just really tough. End of issues let's continue to build this sucker.

KRIPTIKserratedv3_zps4ptlmh6o.gif