Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Caenth

'prison' Server/campaign

Read this article today on Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-20-everquest-2-to-experiment-with-permanent-prison-server) about the upcoming EQ2 'prison' server. I remember someone talking about this idea ages ago, but it might well have been Smed that talked about it.

Troublemakers will be thrown in this prison server instead of getting banned. I think it's actually a nice idea. It will be a cesspool of course, but those players actually deserve to play with each other. You could also join the prison server on your own free will, but the choice is an one way ticket and there is no way back. This might actually be an excellent idea for Crowfall too. It will basically be The Dregs on steroids without any customer support. I think it could become rather popular. Because Crowfall doesn't have permanent servers, there would be prison campaigns.

So instead of banning players and loose potential revenue, they can continue to play with each other. There will be a cost to keep those campaigns running, but these players might still be buying things in the store, subscribing to VIP and such.

What do you think?

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

I can support this idea until I'm all alone on the regular server after 6 months.

The prison server/campaign would only be for those who normally would get banned and/or the most extreme cases. Cheaters, bots, horrible persons and such will end up being the majority of this server and normally you really do not want to be there I think.

ZCcquVD.png

The prison server/campaign would only be for those who normally would get banned and/or the most extreme cases. Cheaters, bots, horrible persons and such will end up being the majority of this server and normally you really do not want to be there I think.

Was making a joke that everyone who isn't me is a cheater.

Making the scum of the earth play on a server that isn't mine is a great idea.  

I think that players who committed big enough offenses to get banned shouldn't have the opportunity to keep playing the game. Having an area where people can test their programs, abuse each others break every rules on a server owned by ACE could have negative repercussions on the game, community and company image.

In the EQ2 article it's written : "Ultimately, players who break the rules - or want to - will have a world of their own to do... whatever they will." and "Once there, you will get no customer support." I wonder how it will work legally and how posting links to illegal websites, use of prohibited softwares and IRL threats will be handled.

I think that players who committed big enough offenses to get banned shouldn't have the opportunity to keep playing the game. Having an area where people can test their programs, abuse each others break every rules on a server owned by ACE could have negative repercussions on the game, community and company image.

At the same time ACE can observe and learn combating these cheat programs without these affecting the general population. Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer seems appropriate here. I think the message what these 'prisons' are supposed to do is a clear enough message towards the community and press.

ZCcquVD.png

I agree that it could probably allow them to observe and learn from it, but I believe that the negative effects of this initiative greatly outshines the positive ones.

Encouraging the players to do things that are prohibited, even in a remote and locked area, shouldn't happen imo.

Edited by courant101

Encouraging the players to do things that are prohibited, even in a remotely controlled area, shouldn't happen imo.

Don't see it as encouraging. Being on those servers should not be a fun thing. I'm 99.99% sure it isn't. Maybe they can put in some extra restrictions as well, like extra slow training or extra harsh death penalties. Plus, you're trapped there and your account will be forever flagged. There is no way your account can be cleared to return to the normal servers.

It will be interesting to see how the prison experiment will work for EQ2.

ZCcquVD.png

The server would house an extremely low amount of players and the cost/benifit that it would take to maintain and update the servers is not nearly worth it for ACE to even care about, not only that why the hell would anyone want to be there instead of just starting a new account or quitting, because of the buy in chances of bots and hackers are pretty much already reduced.

Sugoi ! - Head of Disciplinary Committee

YhuWX9S.png

"Later this week we plan to release a server we are calling “Drunder,” which is a “prison server.” ... As gamers, we recognize there are some players who like to step outside our rules. ... players can use our /petition system and ask to join Drunder. ... Ultimately, players who break the rules – or want towill have a world of their own to do… whatever they will."

What I read is : players can break rules on normal servers and the worst consequence they'll get is having their characters moved in a server where there are no rules, a server that people can request to be moved on when they want to.

I guess it's a way to cut on customer service expenses while still taking money from players who would have been previously banned. Imo a very minor benefit compared to the mess it may create.

Edited by courant101

This idea doesn't really work and Uya detailed it well. Canth really just wants this so all the people she hates here can't pester her anymore.

You will have to do some pretty stupid poorly made socks to get banned from CF in game. This server will be a ghost town.

This idea doesn't really work and Uya detailed it well. Canth really just wants this so all the people she hates here can't pester her anymore.

Her?

it has nothing to do with pestering me or anyone else. Instead of getting banned they just get moved to another server. In both cases they won't bother me anymore anyway. Your point is moot.

And if this kind of server is viable, I don't know. That is for ACE to decide or not. I think it's an interesting idea though. Seems the majority so far doesn't agree.  :)

ZCcquVD.png

Ideally it's a good idea and personally I wouldn't mind having all these cheaters banished to another server.  Biggest problem I see is, they are cheaters so therefore don't follow the rules and will find themselves back on main server.

A lot of banworthy offenses must have zero tolerance... things like hacking or duping...

If you're just talking about toxic behavior in the form of verbal abuse and such... prison server could be interesting.... i'd imagine in that case the very best players would be playing on a prison server since it would probably be the true free for all player driven experience. 

It all depends though.  ACE may be opening themselves up to legal issues if they let players that misbehave in certain ways just run wild, even if it's in a special environment. 

I guess it could work if general verbal abuse (but not extreme like RL threats) got you thrown on a prison server, and then they just turned off all ability for the user to chat with other players in game. 

That would probably limit their liability and also be a very interesting social experiment. 

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Ideally it's a good idea and personally I wouldn't mind having all these cheaters banished to another server.  Biggest problem I see is, they are cheaters so therefore don't follow the rules and will find themselves back on main server.

This does not make sense to me, bans are most likely account based and handled by ACE the chances of someone getting banned and worming their way back onto an official retail server without their knowledge is highly unlikely to impossible. 

Sugoi ! - Head of Disciplinary Committee

YhuWX9S.png

The proper, effective, and correct way to address undesirable behavior is to

1. Understand the incentives for undesirable behavior;
  2. Not create those incentives in the first place; and
  3. Create targeted counter-incentives for the remainder.

All of this is a matter of game design. Ham-handed reactionary strategies always fail.

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.

A lot of banworthy offenses must have zero tolerance... things like hacking or duping...

If you're just talking about toxic behavior in the form of verbal abuse and such... prison server could be interesting.... i'd imagine in that case the very best players would be playing on a prison server since it would probably be the true free for all player driven experience.

It all depends though. ACE may be opening themselves up to legal issues if they let players that misbehave in certain ways just run wild, even if it's in a special environment.

I guess it could work if general verbal abuse (but not extreme like RL threats) got you thrown on a prison server, and then they just turned off all ability for the user to chat with other players in game.

That would probably limit their liability and also be a very interesting social experiment.

Pretty sure verbal abuse is allowed in game.

This does not make sense to me, bans are most likely account based and handled by ACE the chances of someone getting banned and worming their way back onto an official retail server without their knowledge is highly unlikely to impossible.

Secondary accounts much?

Edited by Adall