Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Caenth

'prison' Server/campaign

I was against the idea, mainly because I thought hackers don't deserve to have access to ACE server at all.

Then I thought about it again, and I'm not for the exclusion of people because they committed offenses or made mistakes.

So I'm still against prison servers, but I could find interesting that there were rehabilitation mechanics that allow people to redeem themselves.

It's a terrible idea. If they're cheating or botting, ban the account, move on. The idea of creating a server that's "not fun" for players is completely antithetical to the point of having a server.

Not to mention CF doesn't have servers. This is a PvP game and people are gonna play dirty and they've been given the go-ahead on that from ACE. If they actually violate the RoC, then they get banned or suspended. The entire concept of a prison server is ludicrous if you don't think for one moment the offending players are going to log in and play on it.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

The idea of creating a server that's "not fun" for players is completely antithetical to the point of having a server.

*snip*

The entire concept of a prison server is ludicrous if you don't think for one moment the offending players are going to log in and play on it.

It was not suggested that the goal was to make a server (or, as anyone who gave it an ounce of consideration would understand was meant, a rule set for CWs) with the objective of it being "not fun". The idea, whether it's good or not, was that people who behave contrary to ACE's desires should have to play only with each other. It is, in the suggestion, for the miscreants to decide if that rule set is "fun" enough to play in or not. But "fun" or "not fun" is not the objective; segregation of the misbehaved is the objective. "Fun" is irrelevant.

So try responding to the actual suggestion, and see if a more fruitful conversation ensues.

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.

It was not suggested that the goal was to make a server (or, as anyone who gave it an ounce of consideration would understand was meant, a rule set for CWs) with the objective of it being "not fun". The idea, whether it's good or not, was that people who behave contrary to ACE's desires should have to play only with each other. It is, in the suggestion, for the miscreants to decide if that rule set is "fun" enough to play in or not. But "fun" or "not fun" is not the objective; segregation of the misbehaved is the objective. "Fun" is irrelevant.

So try responding to the actual suggestion, and see if a more fruitful conversation ensues.

If they can't follow the rules of the game then they shouldn't be allowed to play the game at all, not get a special CW made just for them, IMO.

If they can't follow the rules of the game then they shouldn't be allowed to play the game at all, not get a special CW made just for them, IMO.

Great, and that's a valid position to take. I don't particularly care one way or the other about the suggestion. I simply encouraged seventhbeacon to address the actual suggestion, not the one he misread.

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.

In a subscription-based game, I can see the reasoning behind a quarantine server: you protect your legitimate players while still getting sub income from the banishees.

I don't see how ACE benefits from quarantine campaigns vs just banning the sploiters, given that Crowfall is B2P with no required sub.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

In a subscription-based game, I can see the reasoning behind a quarantine server: you protect your legitimate players while still getting sub income from the banishees.

I don't see how ACE benefits from quarantine campaigns vs just banning the sploiters, given that Crowfall is B2P with no required sub.

Yea that's a good point I think. In sub games, ban = losing monthly revenue, in B2P games, ban = potential box sale.  :P

Indeed, it might reasonably be argued that banning accounts drives increased revenue by incentivizing the account owners to buy new accounts.

Actual I thought the prison servers are an interesting idea and I wanted to know more how others thought about it. Maybe I should have posted this in the General Discussion forums instead.

Others have brought up some good points on why they don't like the idea. That's fine and they have totally reasonable dislikes.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

The prison server/campaign would only be for those who normally would get banned and/or the most extreme cases. Cheaters, bots, horrible persons and such will end up being the majority of this server and normally you really do not want to be there I think.

I have not had a chance to have a good look at this topic until now, so I have a few inquiries.

Who is going to define what a horrible person is?

Will I get relegated to a prison server for ganking some carebears for several days until they quit the campaign and start to whine on the forums like little children? Will peoples feelings be taken into consideration for such a punishment?

If we are basing a punishmentsystem on loose wording and feelings, I will be permanently on that server.

Who is going to define what a horrible person is?

Simple answer: ACE. Read: those people who can't follow the rules and are banned because of it. Could have written that a bit better, but I think you're making a bigger fuss about these 2 worlds than really is necessary.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

What Ive noticed so far is that policy and action has been dictated by the biggest whiners and thinnest skinned. I dont want those people dictating what server i wasnt to play on

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Read this article today on Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-20-everquest-2-to-experiment-with-permanent-prison-server) about the upcoming EQ2 'prison' server. I remember someone talking about this idea ages ago, but it might well have been Smed that talked about it.

Troublemakers will be thrown in this prison server instead of getting banned. I think it's actually a nice idea. It will be a cesspool of course, but those players actually deserve to play with each other. You could also join the prison server on your own free will, but the choice is an one way ticket and there is no way back. This might actually be an excellent idea for Crowfall too. It will basically be The Dregs on steroids without any customer support. I think it could become rather popular. Because Crowfall doesn't have permanent servers, there would be prison campaigns.

So instead of banning players and loose potential revenue, they can continue to play with each other. There will be a cost to keep those campaigns running, but these players might still be buying things in the store, subscribing to VIP and such.

What do you think?

I think I understood the intent just fine, @hamopeche. If you'll notice in subsequent comments on this thread, others do in fact keep referring to servers. If I was responding only to the OP, I would have quoted him directly.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

The prison server/campaign would only be for those who normally would get banned and/or the most extreme cases. Cheaters, bots, horrible persons and such will end up being the majority of this server and normally you really do not want to be there I think.

Cheaters and bots should still be allowed within the community? 

Now explain to me how a heavily centric PvP game isn't a cesspool? 

Edited by Muhrder

xctwLnf.png

A PvP community that isn't a cesspool isn't a PvP community.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

A PvP community that isn't a cesspool isn't a PvP community.

Going to assume you are too young to have played UO when it was in it's heyday. The PvP there was amazing, and yet, people would kill you, then offer you tips and tricks so you could play your class better. People want an actual fight. It is no fun just killing people you can cleave through without a thought, it is far more fun to fight against someone who is countering you and making you work for it.

I've been a part of many PvP communities where regardless of how a fight went down you had comraderie and none of the trolling so common with the new generation of MMOers. Could also be because I do martial arts, angst and trolling is very quickly beaten out of you.

"Lawful Good does not always mean Lawful Nice."

Going to assume you are too young to have played UO when it was in it's heyday. The PvP there was amazing, and yet, people would kill you, then offer you tips and tricks so you could play your class better. People want an actual fight. It is no fun just killing people you can cleave through without a thought, it is far more fun to fight against someone who is countering you and making you work for it.

I've been a part of many PvP communities where regardless of how a fight went down you had comraderie and none of the trolling so common with the new generation of MMOers. Could also be because I do martial arts, angst and trolling is very quickly beaten out of you.

LOL okay guy.

"I do martial arts" code for still living in the parents basement.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Everytime I read that I hear Keanu Reeves "I know kung fu....."

Makes me giggle.

Do not wish it is easier, wish you were better.

A hero need not speak. When he is gone, the world will speak for him.

LOL okay guy.

"I do martial arts" code for still living in the parents basement.

Hey   O_o

dont be rude .....

its not like i wanted it

but i cant do kung fu

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.