Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why Is Duping A Thing?

I'm not asking how it happens. My question is rhetorical. I keep reading people talking about how ACE is going to handle duping bugs. The assumption that duping is going to be an issue, at least early on, in every new game is ubiquitous, and that's just pathetic.

How unfathomably atrocious is your software if duping is even possible in the first place? How does game after game get so horrifically implemented that they have these bugs at all? Is the state of the industry so astoundingly terrible?

Preempting duping isn't a matter of just testing enough. It's a matter of having the fundamentally sound design and development acumen not to create loopholes in the first place. This has nothing to do with computer games, specifically; it's just a basic software development topic.

Super short version:

Duping issues?? Are we serious???

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ACE quotes about what to expect regarding dupes in Crowfall :    

Then you are well aware of why duping occurs. While you can put in place mechanisms/procedures to rigorously test and identify bugs none of those methods are full proof. This is compounded by the fact

I'm not asking how it happens. My question is rhetorical. I keep reading people talking about how ACE is going to handle duping bugs. The assumption that duping is going to be an issue, at least early

I'm not asking how it happens. My question is rhetorical. I keep reading people talking about how ACE is going to handle duping bugs. The assumption that duping is going to be an issue, at least early on, in every new game is ubiquitous, and that's just pathetic.

How unfathomably atrocious is your software if duping is even possible in the first place? How does game after game get so horrifically implemented that they have these bugs at all? Is the state of the industry so astoundingly terrible?

Preempting duping isn't a matter of just testing enough. It's a matter of having the fundamentally sound design and development acumen not to create loopholes in the first place. This has nothing to do with computer games, specifically; it's just a basic software development topic.

Super short version:

Duping issues?? Are we serious???

You could always go make your own mmorpg that has no exploits and isn't hackable.  Oh wait it's never been done.

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

I believe the term is "creative accounting."

I just adore the acronym.

"Write that huge loss off as a business expense."

"Umm... is that accepted?"

"Generally."

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.

"Not creating loop holes in the first place" is more difficult than it sounds.

And yet some of us do it all the time in the software industry. And don't give me any sophomoric garbage about games being more complicated than other kinds of software. The only thing sort of unique about games is graphics. Everything else is directly paralleled elsewhere in the industry.

They're plenty rich in the experience department but even their code can't foresee all things, I am sure they would have no problem admitting that. It will be how good we are as testers at finding them, the time we have to find them which is a lot compared to most mmorpgs and how they deal with them once found, in other words the Tyrant.

Edited by oberon

They're plenty rich in the experience department but even their code can't foresee all things, I am sure they would have no problem admitting that. It will be how good we are as testers at finding them, the time we have to find them which is a lot compared to most mmorpgs and how they deal with them once found, in other words the Tyrant.

Sadly, this mindset that bugs are fixed is very common in the industry. But competent people in the industry understand that bugs are preempted. Yes, there will always be a relatively small number of bugs that occur and have to be fixed, but by and large in good software bugs are preempted through legitimate and rigorous design practices.

Sadly, this mindset that bugs are fixed is very common in the industry. But competent people in the industry understand that bugs are preempted. Yes, there will always be a relatively small number of bugs that occur and have to be fixed, but by and large in good software bugs are preempted through legitimate and rigorous design practices.

Honest question, do you do any sort of coding?

Fractional reserve banking is just an institutionalized dupe bug. Duping is everywhere. I mean, try ordering just one pizza from Little Caesar's and see what happens.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I think you are missing the point of people's concern.  It's not the preperation of duping to occur.  It's a the desire to have a more creative solution in place to reduce the desire to explore that sort of cheating option.

Cheating happens because of two factors, either the access to do so is easy, or the alternative to not do so is extremely unbearable to the vast majority of the playerbase.

Edited by facerip

I think you are missing the point of people's concern.

And you are missing my point. It is entirely feasible and achievable, through proper business logic and implementation design, to be sure that there is no execution path by which duping can occur, and thereby preempt the entirety of the concerns that people express.