Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Crowd Control And Teamwork - Official Discussion Thread

Looking good. I hope CC isn't too useless but I definitely don't want it to get to WoW amounts of CC. (example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxKIUnE1N64 and this was in WoD AFTER they removed a lot of CC)

However I don't want it to be completely rinky dink garbage either. Setting up good CC and general control is very rewarding. Without a decent amount of CC effectiveness the game will turn into a turn based game where everyone is standing in front of each other trading blows.

I laughed so hard at the hippogriff video. Awesome work and it really reminds me of my work as an engineer. 

About the CC immunity: 

Well the time is discussable however I'd use it on all cc effects as perma cc isn't something too enjoyable. Doesn't happen that often but still.... maybe the resolve time and the resolve cooldown could differ by archetype and by cc effect like every archetype has a natural immunity to some kind of CC (melees tend to have a higher knockdown resistance while others have a higher root, freeze, etc. resistance). 

But I won't say that much about it as I have to test it out. 

Edited by Thyr

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

Web-technical question: on the videos for these newsdrops can those <a> tags have a target="_blank" so that they open in a new tab?  Consistently on these newsdrops with videos, I click the video forgetting that fact, and then have to reopen the news in another tab.

That's my derp. Sorry. I try to remember to hit the setting that will open the target in a new tab, but sometimes forget because I'm in a rush to get the news published. If I derp out again, feel free to drop me a PM and let me know so I can fix it. (I've gone back and changed it in the today's news article.) 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

The video-guy was a great investment! Awesome to see these kinds of videos get made! also, sell all of Todd's drawings, ACE will make a fortune off of those alone.

You Jest, but if JTod will sign that drawing of the Hypogrif I'll give him twenty bucks right now. 

Id prefer a more organic system in which any kind of hard disable such as stuns, are on a moderate to long CD, and are mostly skill-shot based. That way you don't want to blow all of your disables on one guy because then you have nothing to deal with his backup, and you don't want to just throw disables out indiscriminately because you will probably miss.

Edited by 11nephilim

I'm noticing a pattern here. Oddly enough, I seem to recall a similar video from a while back and another company that jabbed at Todd Coleman and his artistic abilities.  :rolleyes: Joking aside, it's nice to see the progression of ideas and see that the team has a great sense of humor. Thanks for the update!

nz8Y2JJ.jpg

When we get the tech to track game effect by caster id, you won't generate resolve from players on the same faction.

But friendly fire is still on in those rings?

BRB registering my AWOX account... 

Click here to join the Crowfall Discord chat community

Sekket on Mourning. Bhorov on Test Server. Youma the Pirate wherever TSP has sailed.

Looking good. I hope CC isn't too useless but I definitely don't want it to get to WoW amounts of CC. (example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxKIUnE1N64 and this was in WoD AFTER they removed a lot of CC)

However I don't want it to be completely rinky dink garbage either. Setting up good CC and general control is very rewarding. Without a decent amount of CC effectiveness the game will turn into a turn based game where everyone is standing in front of each other trading blows.

Uggghh so much CC in that video. Even if it takes 3 of you, and you may find it great, I guarantee the guy who was in a CC chain for 30 seconds and watched his team die while he did nothing was having zero fun. That is the rough part about PvP balance, it is very difficult to make a non zero sum game where both teams can have fun even when losing.

In many ways your second statement lies in the assumption that tab targeted, split body animation, ability rotational gameplay mechanics map to action combat. They do not.

Even with no CCImmunity I would bet a team couldn't lock down a target for 30 seconds in an action game.(We are just hedging bets for now)

The combat in the WoW video relies heavily on the player's ability to instantly target a character no matter which way he is facing, do a mid air hop turn to face them while casting, and then resume damage on a different target. The UI the players have been given makes this all possible. That druid is a "focus target" of the player, and he press either an alt key or a macro to execute his CC/interrupts with [target=focus] parameters. It takes him a fraction of a second to CC the druid who is no where near him. He uses other UI elements to coordinate the CC chain with his teammates since they know the state of various CC DR's from that gladius addon he is running. To top it off, there is even more UI informing him if the healer's only CC breakout (pvp trinket) is on cooldown or not (another Gladius addon function). To sum up, basically they are playing a war of cooldowns and diminishing returns to remove the healer from the equation to kill the target. 

I could write a long paper on that PvP style and it almost always boils down to "remove the healer from the equation" either via CC chains or Burst the target with all available dps cooldowns to overcome the healers healing throughput.

Action based combat models don't work like that at all.

Position is very important. (The odds of being able to land a CC on the other side of a room and do damage to a target next to you are very slim)

Characters can move out of the way of incoming pain. (I've seen that animation before, the end of a massive damage combo is incoming!)

Characters tend to have built in counters they can use before being CC'd. (Active Blocks, Dodges, Sprints)

Characters have counters they can use after being CC'd (retaliates)

Powers tend to not have long cooldowns and are more cost / positional usage based.

(I did cringe abit watching those characters bunny hop, circle strafe, and omg the druid in Shirvallah form animations have him attacking the ground as he is moving.)

Thomas Blair
ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

Oh my god, you just criticized a WoW arena video. We're going to hit 40 pages of VN defending his 'hardcore' honor in here by tomorrow night.

This sounds like a very irrational and hyperbolic claim. 

I don't mind people criticizing WoW arena... I just don't think players that were awful at it should preach about how much skill it takes or doesn't take.  Which is a common thing you see with people and their WoW stereotypes... 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Imo, in a pvp center game CCs shouldn't never exist in the first place because they aren't player skills at all, just smash some buttons and you can freeze your opponent.

Be carefull with CCs, expecially when zerg vs zerg occur and people spam skills everywhere, is very annoy to stay stunned on the ground where you can't perform any action while you get hitted multiple times and die.

Player skills > system skills, build your game around this concept, after all you claimed that this game will not be for everyone right? CCs are often used by bad players, developers build them so every a wonderful person can hit something. Well don't do this, let this game be true player skills and let people improve over time.

Edited by kdchan

Archduchess Alice