Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Crowd Control And Teamwork - Official Discussion Thread

I'm glad that you touch on positioning, because it is pretty key to a lot of strategic play ontop of timing. So when I hear about commentary about positioning when it comes to free targeting and manual aiming design, I get a little giddy~ If it's any indication from the Confessor gameplay videos, positioning is real and is important as an ingredient for skilled play especially when you have to juke and then aim at the same time which will definitely lead to more adrenaline based gameplay. *cough* Smite *cough*

If there's ranged CC, I'm sure they'd have to be skillshotty like Ullr's axe~ You miss it, you might be screwed. And to set that up requires positioning to get close enough to make a calculated risk.

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

I too am hoping for a smite like feel to the combat, although the chain stun/silence in smite is a bit extreme. Love the 'resolve' mechanic idea as well, there seems to be many more options than a flat 15 sec immunity. Just thinking on it what if there were a visual indicator for all players to see resolve, or at least when one is close to full. I imagine mid combat thinking, just dodge the centaur, one more stun and he'll roflstomp me.

Is anybody else tempted to make the guild, 'Not another f**king centaur incident '?

Imo, in a pvp center game CCs shouldn't never exist in the first place because they aren't player skills at all, just smash some buttons and you can freeze your opponent.

Be carefull with CCs, expecially when zerg vs zerg occur and people spam skills everywhere, is very annoy to stay stunned on the ground where you can't perform any action while you get hitted multiple times and die.

Player skills > system skills, build your game around this concept, after all you claimed that this game will not be for everyone right? CCs are often used by bad players, developers build them so every a wonderful person can hit something. Well don't do this, let this game be true player skills and let people improve over time.

Well I think Thomas Blair just addressed those issues with his post, explaining that action combat is different, that position makes huge difference, CC can be dodged, blocked, avoided by using sprint, using retaliate power as counter, animations playing a role too.

In a game where many attacks are aimed, and I guess the same applies to CC too, it should require skill and timing to land CC and to impair a target.

Well I think Thomas Blair just addressed those issues with his post, explaining that action combat is different, that position makes huge difference, CC can be dodged, blocked, avoided by using sprint, using retaliate power as counter, animations playing a role too.

In a game where many attacks are aimed, and I guess the same applies to CC too, it should require skill and timing to land CC and to impair a target.

While this is true it also definitely depends on how fast paced they make the game.  If the game isn't fast-paced enough then action combat might as well be tab target because it becomes so easy to aim that you end up landing most spells anyway.  So far the pacing looks ok though.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

While this is true it also definitely depends on how fast paced they make the game.  If the game isn't fast-paced enough then action combat might as well be tab target because it becomes so easy to aim that you end up landing most spells anyway.  So far the pacing looks ok though.

Well it may be easier for people who are skilled in shooters, but I think that most of the people who play MMORPGs are still used to tab-targeting and do not necessarily excel in more twitchy types of combat (accurate aiming, reflexes...) . Plus we've seen that the power are traveling at a speed that may allow players to dodge and block them if they notice them fast enough. As you wrote, the pacing looks fine, and it should be really interesting both for the people who try to CC and those who try to escape the CC.  :P

Make sense only if skills along with CCs aren't AOE based and easy to land, like the latest videos suggest. Indeed there is time to tweak these things during beta phases, however i'm still skeptical regarding CC.

You know, i'm one of these players that prefer a pure player skill combat like Mount & Blade, give me sword or a bow and is enought, just my swings or my arrows, no a bar fullfilled with skills where i smash buttons in the hope to hit something.

Edited by kdchan

Archduchess Alice

I echo the sentiments of more "adrenaline-based gameplay". What you've described so far sounds fairly kinetic - I hope it stays that way. CC has its place; however, it needs to be landed successfully because of skill, ability to predict movement (or conversely, ability to bait) and practice.

The wee spotlight on all the different people on team was fun. You guys are doing a bang-up job appearing human. :P go fig.

Edited by BluesBoomPuppy

Dat animation q.q!

So BEAUTIFUL!

Seriously xD.

I like the griffons animation~

I hope that all of the few Monsters will get such qaultiy animation in.

The detail on the feathers look just so great ... aww *drools* Hyppogriff BBQ ....

Still doing the new CF show? We're past the date you gave :(

I know! We're going to wait a little bit just because I want access my cohorts and i to play the game so our commentary is more informed.

We have some really fun ideas for it.

MOkvLlm.png

That teamwork video was absolutely hilarious. You guys are awesome. Poor Todd.

I was actually hoping for a long post by JTC about teamwork in pvp similar to his thoughts on yomi... but then I got that...

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Just twenty?!?

Well it will cost me $350 bucks to fly out to Austin and pick it up, and then another $200 bucks for the frame.

The picture isn't really worth anything, but the signature and the story is. 

Imagine having a signed sketch by Walt Disney from the first Disney studio in a one car garage back in 1923

Now imagine how bad JTod will want that signed sketch back when he starts selling shares of ArtCraft in an IPO

See the risk is all mine is JTod the next Disney? Or not?

I still got that twenty and I'm willing to risk it.

Request: put the stunned character flat on the ground when s/he's CC'ed.  Maybe some animation of him holding his head, shaking his head, or rolling around in agony.  It adds a tiny bit of realism and gets the poor soul out of the way while the others go at each other.  Plus, with physics, players may have to hop over him or slide around.

Just an idea.

Edited by bradicus magnus

LW_sig_concept3_zps7zqmgbno.jpg

http://crowfall.shivtr.com/  The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home.

As Saint-Exupery wrote :

Il semble que la perfection soit atteinte non quand il n'y a plus rien à ajouter, mais quand il n'y a plus rien à retrancher.

It seems that perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove.

And I think CC is one of those things which should be removed from PvP centric games. It is fun to disable a mob, it is a lot less to see your toon disabled. Any solution which is not to remove CC from a game won't be enough or just broken.

Don't put CC in. Especially if you want to add them only to have more icons on a power bar.

Edited by arkh

All of the blanket anti CC methods are disappointing.

My problem with those kind of systems are that so many ability uses that CC get negated. While that might lead to more fun for the person being CCed, it takes away too much from the fun of using CC. I would prefer alternative methods of CC mitigation. Make hard CC rare, and CC that locks out certain parts of control instead, make CC avoidable through dodging or character perks or allow support classes to rescue others more often.