Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FrostSword

What Archetype Will You Be As A Crafter?

My crafting archetype will be a forge master.

My combat archetype will be a knight.

My spy archetype will be an assassin.

I would prefer if the forge master would be heavily focused on terrain destruction and crafting. This would embody the idea of a "forge master". In any case I believe all archetypes should have a preferred set crafting profession.(But that's just me)

That is a question that I keep asking myself. lol. Not sure about that paths yet but I do know for myself, I will also have to factor in the fighting end of things. Got to be able to live to get the resources and bring them back. Yes I plan to barter for some, but I will need to be able to acquire them on my own without having to depend on others.

That's an interesting question. I have to say that the archetypes that have been presented so far (we know close to nothing about promotion classes) are really inspiring and intriguing. Even archetypes like the Guinecean Duelist are very appealing to me, and knowing my MMO habits, i am the last person who would choose the anthropomorphic rodent. Since this is the crafting sub-forum, if a crafter archetype can have an active role inside the battlefield with its creations , this would be my go-to class.

I d like to see, for example, a forgemaster, crafting a golem and binding it with earth magic to assist him in the battlefield. Kinda like the old artisan class in L2.

I kinda feel like "Stealth" classes will have some advantages when it comes to gathering resources in hostel PVP/PVE environments. Seems like they would have a better ability to go nearly anywhere to get what they need and get out safely.

I plan on devoting most of my time to gathering resources and crafting. I feel like the RANGER class could satisfy all my needs. Example: if I want Spy or Recon an area of the map, I can do that. If I want to support my team in a fight, I can do that. If I want to go out and find high end resources on my own, I can do that safely. If I just want to sell my resources on the open market, I can do that. If I want to set up a workshop in my keep to build the best weapons in the game...I can do that.

The Ranger seems like the perfect choice for me.

Edited by Baba_Yaga

Also, to get a rewarding experience in CF, you will want to roll with a guild.

That way you can specialize. Generalists tend to be unable to fight their way out of a wet paper ambush.

Ranger is a great scout archetype, but gathering and crafting disciplines will dilute your ability to fight well.

Since all PC's will be able to craft a bit (basic arrows, etc.), you might consider just one gathering discipline and get your best gear from dedicated crafters.  :)

Edited by chancellor

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

With Crows and Vessels, there's no need to pick the "right" archetype from the get go (because your skill won't be high enough for it to matter.) As for which archetype will be able to go the absolute highest (with perfect advantages, runestones, necromancer bonuses, etc) I imagine that will be a matter for powerful necromancers to discover.

My first... well, I guess vessel, now... will be a Frostweaver. I'll probably specialize in conventionally "squishy" gear, though I'm intrigued by how maps may come into play. I know they said in a recent video that there won't be a minimap, but I almost feel like something akin to a minimap could be cool, in conjunction with the orienteering of player-crafted maps and/or cooperative spotting/marking mechanics. As in... That Assassin behind you won't show up on your minimap just because he's within range, but if he's within your character's detection cone or an ally actively "spots" him (kind of like in the Battlefield games - temporarily marks an enemy location in space/on the map, even if you can't actually lay eyes on them), you can see some kind of blip, as if your character has gone "Oh crap, I saw someone I think!" or your ally quickly shouted "behind you!". Butttttt... That's probably for another thread.

Basically, I might cartographize. 6_u

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

Is it just me or are pure combat characters going to be 300% more effective at combat than pure crafters are at crafting?

Crafting/gathering is all general skill training which can be done only one at a time

But a VIP combat guy can train 1 general combat skill and 3 archetype combat skills at a time

4 vs 1?

Edited by coach

Is it just me or are pure combat characters going to be 300% more effective at combat than pure crafters are at crafting?

Crafting/gathering is all general skill training which can be done only one at a time

But a VIP combat guy can train 1 general combat skill and 3 archetype combat skills at a time

4 vs 1?

Maybe... but then where would they get their armor that keeps degrading if they are all combat focused? And if you want to get technical, the only way anyone could be a pure crafting focus according to that logic is to not train any archetype skills, which seems silly, but I guess you could do it.... And to my knowledge, none of the archetype skills relate to crafting.

Edited by FrostSword

nz8Y2JJ.jpg

exactly my point

you can't be a "pure" crafter in crowfall

the archetypes don't have any crafting trees as far as I can tell

i have never seen an MMO where a person couldn't be a pure crafter if they wanted to be (i.e. ALL of their skill points go into crafting or gathering)

i mean even stealth and exploration are in general skills list too

there needs to a a pure crafting archetype (maybe forgemaster is?)

Technically, you don't have to train an archetype at all. You have the option but, it doesn't force you. Also, there are a lot of MMOs that force you into class roles that don't include crafting. In fact almost every class based mmo ever fits those criteria. We still don't know if archetypes will have skill advantages for different crafting professions or statistical advantages for any of the crafting processes.

My initial thought was the duelist was the best archetype because of the mention of engineering and ammunition in the lore, combined with the borrowing ability for finding artifacts or escaping enemies. Now I'm leaning more towards ranger for the stealth and versatility of combat styles. The truth is, we won't know what's most important until we see the final game.

I must be confusing people so I will give an example

In Star Wars Galaxies you trained as an Artisan (which would be the equivalent of Crowfall's generic crafting tree

And you trained an advanced type of craft (ex. Architect, Chef, Weaponsmith, etc)

In essence in Crowfall, crafters don't have "advanced" classes like combat professions, they are stuck in general

That's not at all the case. Just because the creating tree falls under the General category doesn't mean that it won't have branches. You'll have to invest a certain amount in the Blacksmithing subtree in order to unlock the Advanced Armorer child tree, etc.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Coach, why do you even feel the need to be unable to fight with your crafter?

The gods wouldn't choose anyone to be their avatar in their war who would always be useless in a fight.

Of course, archetypes and promotion classes will have skills that make them better than other archetypes at particular crafts.

ACE is trying to make the combat system work well now. The crafting system will be fleshed out later, and it will not be an afterthought.

And OP,

With the V&C system announced, a better question would be, what 3 archetypes do you want to develop as a crafter?

We'll see when all the archetypes roll out. (so far, I'm leaning toward Forgemaster, Druid, Duelist)

Edited by chancellor

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

1. I'm actually surprised this thread came back. It was made way before the vessel reveal, so is kind of obsolete as it is.

And OP,

With the V&C system announced, a better question would be, what 3 archetypes do you want to develop as a crafter?

We'll see when all the archetypes roll out. (so far, I'm leaning toward Forgemaster, Druid, Duelist)

Yes, a much more appropriate question based on what we know now.

2. This has been the case from the beginning of this thread: The crafting system is still very early in development. The combat skill trees have much more in depth branches because that is the current focus. It would be interesting to see if the archetype skill trees have some skills that differentiate them as a crafter, or scout, or spy, etc. The main crafting, combat, and exploration skills will come from the general section, but that does not mean the archetype skills are worthless. You will want some general skill in your archetype to defend your wares or basically not be instantly killed by even the most basic attacks.

nz8Y2JJ.jpg

Leaning towards the popular Duelist at the moment =) With secondary of Forgemaster and tertiary of Ranger.  As most have said we'll see as more info comes out and the game progresses.

-=- Vagantem -=-