Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Some Shadowbane reminiscing...

ObsLoD

Family Feud:  Top 3 excuses late version shadowbane players will use when they quit crowfall

1.  Action combat was too twitchy and removed "tactical skill".  (60)

2.  Artcraft changed their vision (20)

3.  It was too hard to keep up with modern gaming where people are expected to disable key clicks on their voice comms (20)

I assume your excuse will be that no one could compete with your elite board warrioring, therefore you needed to declare victory and move on to greener pastures?

There are a number of skills needed to win in a strategic game. Logistics, politics, strategic objectives, etc. - tactics is a small part of it. Washington wasn't the best shot in his army, and Caesar wasn't the best swordsman. They didn't have to be. When you argue about twitch based games being more skill based, you emphasize tactical movement over strategic brilliance, and therein lies the fatal flaw in your argument. Both will be required to succeed.

EDIT - Removed image of Stephen the Irishman from Braveheart due to NSFW verbiage. It would be nice if you'd answer the bleeping question though.

Edited by vandarr

CF_Van.png

I assume your excuse will be that no one could compete with your elite board warrioring, therefore you needed to declare victory and move on to greener pastures?

There are a number of skills needed to win in a strategic game. Logistics, politics, strategic objectives, etc. - tactics is a small part of it. Washington wasn't the best shot in his army, and Caesar wasn't the best swordsman. They didn't have to be. When you argue about twitch based games being more skill based, you emphasize tactical movement over strategic brilliance, and therein lies the fatal flaw in your argument. Both will be required to succeed.

EDIT - Removed image of Stephen the Irishman from Braveheart due to NSFW verbiage. It would be nice if you'd answer the bleeping question though.

I emphasize being good at all aspects of skill, and not just picking and choosing ones you are decent at and discarding the ones you aren't good at for whatever argument you are trying to make about what is skillful and what isn't. 

Very simple... if you are good you will do well in large competitive environments... if you are not good you won't. 

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

That's a great claim but that's all it is.  You're just like that other nobody trying to describe make believe things about my 10 minutes of contact with your guild.  In the end, your guild member had to puff their chest out about how they were so amazing.  Maybe it's your lack of reading comprehension and inability to make any sort of relevant contribution to this conversation.  It's not my fault you guys have a toxic vent, that's the reality of it.  You probably can't even name the class of character I was on in either of the two fights I was with WM.

Making up history about people is pretty common for the late sb/emu population so I don't blame you.

Way to go, but who are you again?

You have made a gaming "career" of being the "don't be that guy" lesson for all of the other sb players.  You have done your absolute best to make it sound like you weren't a loyal WM servitor but the fact is you were and you were a poor one at that.  I struggle to remember a time you mattered in the game but feel free to enlighten us as since from your revisionist perspective you used to be a big deal.  While you commit the sb equivalent of stolen valor, I suggest you and Sheen/Vikingnail collaborate on your hogwash so that it takes the community an additional 30 seconds to realize you mean nothing in the grand scheme of server dominance.  You are the quintessential drone awaiting orders from you betters. 

Ganking new players a month after release, declaring yourself victorious, and then quitting, never to participate in a real war, doesn't make you good it just makes you craven and lacking gumption.

I highly encourage you to better yourself otherwise you might find yourself gotten. 

Edited by mandalore
40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

I emphasize being good at all aspects of skill, and not just picking and choosing ones you are decent at and discarding the ones you aren't good at for whatever argument you are trying to make about what is skillful and what isn't. 

Very simple... if you are good you will do well in large competitive environments... if you are not good you won't. 

And still, you have yet to list a single one of those "other games". And which one of those "other games" did you do well in a large, competitive environment?

I don't expect you to answer this, but I figured I would ask. Again.

welcome to MichaelFlatley/Sheen/VikingNail. He spews the same old stuff whether it's here, AC, Slack, or anywhere else. When he quits Crowfall a month after launch for "greener pastures" you'll see him harassing some other forum about how he's the best, he doesn't have to prove it, and if you were the best you'd know who he was. Rinse, repeat. At least we know who Facerip is and you can engage him in a debate.

Anyone who still takes VN serious, is doing it wrong. 

Here is how you deal with him.

1: Read his post

2: Laugh in your head.

3: Move along

I actually cackle loudly and do my best to be both villainous and full of contempt for his inferior perspectives. 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

The people that remained in shadowbane aren't a clearly hardcore playerbase though....  And they sure as heck didn't have a shred of success in any big competitive game with a real skill-ceiling. 

Small fish in a small pond... and the only way to change that is to go prove yourself in a big pond... no excuses can get around that. 

You can blow hard all day, but if you truly want respect, it is my hope that you'll have a chance to earn it in Crowfall.

Until then, all the posturing is just sad and boring.

CF_Ror_zpspm6enxco.png

Yall can try to make all the claims you want... it still doesn't change the fact that all the people claiming late shadowbane took skill never had success in any large competitive game.  The people that were at the top in early shadowbane didn't have such a problem. 

fact

You've made it very clear that you like to play fast and loose with this word. You keep misusing it as if we'll just give up and let your false definition fly.

But you don't present facts. You just run your mouth endlessly.

You, the person behind the keyboard, are utterly common.

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.

You've made it very clear that you like to play fast and loose with this word. You keep misusing it as if we'll just give up and let your false definition fly.

But you don't present facts. You just run your mouth endlessly.

You, the person behind the keyboard, are utterly common.

Talk is cheap buddy boy, you've either done well in real competitive games or you have not...

Anyone who still takes VN serious, is doing it wrong. 

Here is how you deal with him.

1: Read his post

2: Laugh in your head.

3: Move along

but this thread is just so much gold...i'm here till i find out what these high skill ceiling games are, and what elite early sb guilds went on to dominate latter sb servers.

Shadowbane was a real test of guild cohesiveness and loyalty as it truly gets tested when you see your city and everything you worked towards for months in ashes.

A lot of guilds folded at that point and it's the sort of guild stressors that aren't seen in nearly any mmorpg since. True victory cannot really be achieved without the possible consequence of true loss. - that sounded poetic!

Edited by Herithius

Talk is cheap buddy boy, you've either done well in real competitive games or you have not...

What's your favorite Shadowbane memory, VN?  :D

What's your favorite Shadowbane memory, VN?  :D

It was nice stomping Keepers of Chaos on scorn after all the success they had had on darktide.

I mean they didn't do much in shadowbane but at least they were willing to roll on the most competitive server instead of running and hiding on some other server.

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

It was nice stomping Keepers of Chaos on scorn after all the success they had had on darktide.

That's cool! What classes did you play, and which were your fav?  :)

I played Scout at first, but I think my Doomie had the most playtime. I liked that I could fly forever with the stamina taps!

That's cool! What classes did you play, and which were your fav?  :)

I played Scout at first, but I think my Doomie had the most playtime. I liked that I could fly forever with the stamina taps!

I had a scout and a thief.... at one point I had my scout attacking so fast (with throwing daggers or something like that) that the game couldn't even remotely keep up with character animations.  If I remember correctly I was attacking like 8-16 times a second.