Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ObsLoD

Some Shadowbane reminiscing...

I was actually using lycos to impress Chaz Watley but nice try pal.  I was leading my men in delta force 2... we lost a lot of good men that year...

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Well all you can really do is contextualize and look at the period where the game had the most active competition... that would be the months after launch... everything besides that is just small potatoes.

Highly inaccurate. Beta guilds had a huge advantage. Higher pop at launch sure, higher skill... not so much, at least compared to 06 to close. Dragonscale at close would have dominated the vast majority of guilds at launch. I played from launch to close, Death to Mourning, in top tier guilds. The game, and the skill it took to win at the highest level, evolved.

I'm not sure what you are trying to imply but for example if you look at some of the people that reminisce about shadowbane, and they are fond of whatever period they played in... but you can tell which periods were a joke sometimes just by the people who reminisce about the periods.

If OldManJoe reminisces about some period where his guild was top dawg on some server, but OldManJoe isn't really good at any modern games, you can tell OldManJoe isn't actually a very good gamer, so his dominance wasn't based on skill... so if he was able to dominate a period, it probably wasn't a period that involved much skill. 

Spec group and tactical makeup changed ...alot. Bring out your def channie or your fighter lock from launch. Most large guilds ran with no real spec at all, just mindless meat wave. Those with any semblance of organization dominated. The vast majority didn't use voip. 

I could argue that there wasn't a guild that dominated Shadowbane like Death Head Legion (DHL) did on War server at launch. And then VikingNail can come say how beta guilds never had a real challenge on live.

My point is that you can't crap on an emulator just because people are still playing and you guys aren't. We can point to any point in time of Shadowbane and re-hash history. Although, I do think congratulating dupelords with FC items for being awesome is a little yawn.

If you were there, then I don't really need to explain this. I had Kodor's Chains, Hulin'agaels and Frykka's Boons on every toon across 6 accounts. I had full Iriecki leather including the shield, and on and on and on. Point is almost every top tier guild had tons of duped FC gear. It was actually pretty cool, you could make candy toons viable where they normally would not have been. The only Issue I had was with the "Bow of Thurin" and "Dragothien's Axe".

Point is, They were pretty amazing players that played the game amazingly well. They played the political game better than we did, and they played for the long haul. They stayed. I hated them. That's a complement.

I tell you what, you can bring a guild that you had on Mourning to Magicbane and show how live guilds were better. And then I'll bring a guild to Mourn--- oh wait.

don't misunderstand me..i'm NOT running down any emulator...good for those running it, good for those who are enjoying them...

just not my thing, for various Reasons...this does NOT mean i am trying to put any of them down

just sayin' that imo, the best experience of SB was the entirety of the Mourning server....nothing else came close due to it being the ONLY server to go from Launch to Reboot....the richness of it's history and the quality of the Players that passed through are unchallenged

could just be meh...

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

but for example if you look at some of the people that reminisce about shadowbane, and they are fond of whatever period they played in... 

Is this why you are so fond of the first four-ish weeks of live? Correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm going from memory on a post you made that I think was about a year ago, but didn't you say that you left with all the "competitive" guilds around a month into live? My memory isn't as good as it used to be, so my apologies if I'm mistaken in that.

CF_Van.png

Is this why you are so fond of the first four-ish weeks of live? Correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm going from memory on a post you made that I think was about a year ago, but didn't you say that you left with all the "competitive" guilds around a month into live? My memory isn't as good as it used to be, so my apologies if I'm mistaken in that.

Yea your memory is not correct.

I too remember you saying you quit very early. To play SB well is a lot more complicated than you make it sound to be. Are you going to quit Crowfall early after all of this barking you have done? I hope not.

If crowfall is a game that doesn't function and crashes constantly and has all the good players wanting to quit after a few months like shadowbane did then yes I would quit. 

Good players want to show their skills vs tough competition... Sorry you never learned that on your emulator.

lol is VN still crying about getting diddled a week after release. michaelflatlely the loser. keep ban dodging cause no likes you lol

Edited by checkyotrack

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

I was a part of successful guilds. How exactly does being relevant equate to knowing things? I could be a solo roamer, and still know more things than most.

If you aren't relevant you can't really know things... It's kinda like tim tebow can't really know what it takes to win a superbowl ring.  I mean your mentality says it all... you don't know real success in a competitive environment.

If you aren't relevant you can't really know things... It's kinda like tim tebow can't really know what it takes to win a superbowl ring.  I mean your mentality says it all... you don't know real success in a competitive environment.

Yeah, you are totally right. I never knew I had to be in a guild... I am not even going to finish that statement. You are a dumb ass. It is as simple as that.

Interesting post here.

So, while you have countered my assertion that you quit about 4ish weeks into live (46 days was my exact quote, in reply to another R30s apologist), you have also repeatedly talked about being relevant, with the repeated insinuation that you were back in the day in SB. However, you also have recently stated that if you weren't on Scorn, then you weren't very relevant. However, in the post above, you essentially state that to be relevant, you must know success in a competitive environment.

Scorn was one of the least competitive initial servers, as R30s rolled out of beta with enough knowledge and numbers to crush the small potatoes guys just trying to learn the game on that server (not to mention meet people and get into a guild), then subsequently got banned and/or quit (again, approximately 46 days into live). As one of the least competitive servers (hint - it's why it got shut down so fast), with your aforementioned standard of competitiveness creating relevance, wouldn't that in turn make you irrelevant compared to most of the SB folks here?

Note - I don't actually believe any of the above to be justifiable or accurate standards for measuring relevance, skill, or even an e-peen. I am merely pointing out that when you continually make up your standards of measurements to suit your current desire to insult, then eventually someone will read enough of your comments to realize that you have, in fact, set a standard of measurement that sets you below the person you are attempting to insult.

Feel free to insult me in return, though I've made it pretty clear that I think I'm a terrible player.  :)

P.S. - Tebow did win two national titles, but football is truly a team game. There are a number of lesser QBs who have won superbowls, and some outstanding ones who never came close. In my opinion, that is a terrible analogy when you want to insult the skills of a single player.

Edited by vandarr

CF_Van.png

Interesting post here.

So, while you have countered my assertion that you quit about 4ish weeks into live (46 days was my exact quote, in reply to another R30s apologist), you have also repeatedly talked about being relevant, with the repeated insinuation that you were back in the day in SB. However, you also have recently stated that if you weren't on Scorn, then you weren't very relevant. However, in the post above, you essentially state that to be relevant, you must know success in a competitive environment.

Scorn was one of the least competitive initial servers, as R30s rolled out of beta with enough knowledge and numbers to crush the small potatoes guys just trying to learn the game on that server (not to mention meet people and get into a guild), then subsequently got banned and/or quit (again, approximately 46 days into live). As one of the least competitive servers (hint - it's why it got shut down so fast), with your aforementioned standard of competitiveness creating relevance, wouldn't that in turn make you irrelevant compared to most of the SB folks here?

Well scorn was actually the most competitive of the initial servers with great guilds from past games coming out of the woodwork... The problem is that once guilds would get destroyed on scorn they would just run off to other servers.  People were quitting because the game was unplayable, the service had been hacked (security issues) etc etc.  You may not want to believe it was the most competitive server, because that wouldn't work well for your own ego... but all the big boys came to play there, and the pretenders went and hid elsewhere after getting beaten or simply dodging the invitation to organize and play against the best players.

Note - I don't actually believe any of the above to be justifiable or accurate standards for measuring relevance, skill, or even an e-peen. I am merely pointing out that when you continually make up your standards of measurements to suit your current desire to insult, then eventually someone will read enough of your comments to realize that you have, in fact, set a standard of measurement that sets you below the person you are attempting to insult.

But it doesn't set me below... because anyone that was relevant knows where the top players played... the rest of the people just simply had no clue... they have their own perception of how things were, but it simply isn't accurate.  It's like someone growing up never hearing about the NFL but learning about football from his grandpa, and then thinking he is the best player ever cause he can fare well against his cousins..  If you don't know you simply don't know... there's a reason that the players in the top scorn guilds went on to do big things in MMOs, and the rest try to cling to warped accomplishments like winning GW2 WvW... instead of real accomplishments like winning big esports tournaments. 

Feel free to insult me in return, though I've made it pretty clear that I think I'm a terrible player.  :)

P.S. - Tebow did win two national titles, but football is truly a team game. There are a number of lesser QBs who have won superbowls, and some outstanding ones who never came close. In my opinion, that is a terrible analogy when you want to insult the skills of a single player.

Tebow washed out at the professional level... that's what matters... If you want to be good by college standards that's fine... but real competitors are competing and excelling against the best the game has to offer.