Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ObsLoD

Some Shadowbane reminiscing...

LOL this profanity filter.

It'd actually be cool to get a steam group going with everyone we know from SB so we can catch up, chat, and play other games together in the lead up to this.  Personally I'd be really happy to just talk to you guys (super busy at work anyway these days)

A bunch of us are playing Paragon in between Crowfall playtests.

qMEsHyg.png

www.winterblades.net

I just can't get over how funny it is to me that anyone actually believes that any prior experience from SB beta, SB live, SBemu, or Magicbane is somehow going to correlate to success in this game.

The guilds that can put aside their own egos and out think the horde of pubescent poorly made ***** talkers are going to be the ones that dominate.  Another thought here is that unless any of these old guilds have a fresh roster of 17 year olds ready to play this game under your tag, you REALLY have no idea what's coming.  I hate to say it guys but we're old now.

No one thinks Shadowbane success is going to correlate to anything other than maybe experience in logistics and being a team player. Just board warrior poorly made socks.

I just can't get over how funny it is to me that anyone actually believes that any prior experience from SB beta, SB live, SBemu, or Magicbane is somehow going to correlate to success in this game.

The guilds that can put aside their own egos and out think the horde of pubescent poorly made ***** talkers are going to be the ones that dominate.  Another thought here is that unless any of these old guilds have a fresh roster of 17 year olds ready to play this game under your tag, you REALLY have no idea what's coming.  I hate to say it guys but we're old now.

Yea it's pretty pathetic... especially when a lot of those players haven't had any success in ANY other game.  The most skilled gamers are significantly above average in every game they touch, not just one game, not just one genre. 

I'm glad you realize that there is a new generation of people that grew up on modern games and have skills that older gamers may not even understand.  Some of us older gamers can keep up with them though, cause we adapted to the times, we didn't just sit there reminiscing about being good in a click-to-move game.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Yea it's pretty pathetic... especially when a lot of those players haven't had any success in ANY other game.  The most skilled gamers are significantly above average in every game they touch, not just one game, not just one genre. 

I'm glad you realize that there is a new generation of people that grew up on modern games and have skills that older gamers may not even understand.  Some of us older gamers can keep up with them though, cause we adapted to the times, we didn't just sit there reminiscing about being good in a click-to-move game.

Still waiting proof of your "success".

Still waiting proof of your "success".

Still wondering why you think you deserve to have things proven to you? 

Go become worthy competition and then you'll see all the proof you need.

Stop talking all about this nonsense about you being successful and adapted, if you refuse to back it up.

How about you just get good at modern games and learn the gap in skill between those who played shadowbane and only played shadowbane, and those that are actually good at games with large competitive scenes?

I already do and currently enjoying being above average.

Well then you should be able to tell how silly it is to care about shadowbane success?

Well then you should be able to tell how silly it is to care about shadowbane success?

The success in Shadowbane certainly doesn't mean you're going to be great here.  However, it's silly to assume people have ONLY played Shadowbane, and haven't touched another game since.  Possibly, but unlikely.

What was established in Shadowbane for many of us was how to either be a leader or a follower.  How to call targets, how to be organized, and how to strategize. Those are the takeaways that "could" set some guilds apart (of course these things can be picked up from other games, to an extent).

qMEsHyg.png

www.winterblades.net

The success in Shadowbane certainly doesn't mean you're going to be great here.  However, it's silly to assume people have ONLY played Shadowbane, and haven't touched another game since.  Possibly, but unlikely.

What was established in Shadowbane for many of us was how to either be a leader or a follower.  How to call targets, how to be organized, and how to strategize. Those are the takeaways that "could" set some guilds apart (of course these things can be picked up from other games, to an extent).

Competitive gamers maker their success off of the ability to outplay and outread their opponents.  It's pretty clear based on the perspective people have, what kind of gaming experience they possess.  You can literally tell, as a top level gamer, how bad someone is just by their perspective.

A competitive gamer is always reading potential competition...  What reads can you make off of people that cling to shadowbane memories and never made new competitive memories?  You can read that they are really fond of shadowbane, then you have to look at why they are fond of it.  You look at the top shadowbane players and they all moved on to newer games to find better competition... their perspective of shadowbane is more akin to a great idea that wasn't executed well...  Then you have people that cling to shadowbane success like it is the best pvp experience gaming has ever offered... they weren't able to excel in new games... so they want to think of the game they found success in as the best one. 

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Competitive gamers maker their success off of the ability to outplay and outread their opponents.  It's pretty clear based on the perspective people have, what kind of gaming experience they possess.  You can literally tell, as a top level gamer, how bad someone is just by their perspective.

A competitive gamer is always reading potential competition...  What reads can you make off of people that cling to shadowbane memories and never made new competitive memories?  You can read that they are really fond of shadowbane, then you have to look at why they are fond of it.  You look at the top shadowbane players and they all moved on to newer games to find better competition... their perspective of shadowbane is more akin to a great idea that wasn't executed well...  Then you have people that cling to shadowbane success like it is the best pvp experience gaming has ever offered... they weren't able to excel in new games... so they want to think of the game they found success in as the best one. 

There's a lot of truth to what you're saying here.  Although in this case you might need to be careful when you see people "clinging".  I think a lot of the clinging to SB has more to do with the extremely rich stories, politics, and social interaction.  The PvP and competitive gaming aspect is there for sure, but I have to admit in retrospect now I've played far more mechanically intense games before and since Shadowbane.

Your milkshake lures all the fine folks to the yard. Verily, it is better than mine. Surely it is better than mine. Would you teach me, or would you levy a fee? - Integ

There's a lot of truth to what you're saying here.  Although in this case you might need to be careful when you see people "clinging".  I think a lot of the clinging to SB has more to do with the extremely rich stories, politics, and social interaction.  The PvP and competitive gaming aspect is there for sure, but I have to admit in retrospect now I've played far more mechanically intense games before and since Shadowbane.

I enjoyed shadowbane... it was a very unique experience... and I wish it had been executed better, hopefully crowfall can remedy a lot of what potential was missed with shadowbane... but yea there are much more challenging games out there so it is silly to claim one is some pvp badass because of shadowbane... almost laughable to do so compared to some of the more challenging competitive games out there.

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Perhaps all you former SB players with a better memory than I can help me out with something that's been bothering me. I can't remember which server I played on initially but I remember some of the larger guilds that were on it. It was Vorringia, I remember that much, Vicious Cycle held the Sinking Isles, War Pigs were in the west of the mainland, OPP was somewhere I can't remember but they were always getting baned by someone. Of the major guilds those are the only I can recall, this was 13 years ago, mind you.  

Can anyone remind me which server this was?

Hg0LXwa.png

Perhaps all you former SB players with a better memory than I can help me out with something that's been bothering me. I can't remember which server I played on initially but I remember some of the larger guilds that were on it. It was Vorringia, I remember that much, Vicious Cycle held the Sinking Isles, War Pigs were in the west of the mainland, OPP was somewhere I can't remember but they were always getting baned by someone. Of the major guilds those are the only I can recall, this was 13 years ago, mind you.  

Can anyone remind me which server this was?

Wrath.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

While you're not wrong, the level of organization in SB definitely got more precise later on in SB as bane numbers started to drop in size and the server actually could sustain bigger fights without being a complete slideshow. A lot of release banes between large alliances were determined by who had more players who were able to actually do things early on.

SB definitely was unique and I felt that one place is really shined is that preparation was hugely important. The actual mechanics to pvp were simpler although those who were able to take advantage of quirks in the game(I don't mean exploiting) could really give themselves an edge over others. Tactical things like baiting enemy into a bulwark field of burned down bulwarks was amazingly useful if you were running heavy ranged and they were mostly melee because those things were like vacuums if a person wasn't familiar with navigating them.

It definitely wasn't a game where someone with amazing raw talent for gaming would really be able to use their abilities to set themselves far away from others like other competitive games. I'm really hoping that Crowfall finds a balance between the two.

Also your post really made me think of this post: http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/11667-if-you-dont-understand-what-a-puretrue-gamer-is-then-your-not-a-puretrue-gamer/

C4sIZDW.gif

While you're not wrong, the level of organization in SB definitely got more precise later on in SB as bane numbers started to drop in size and the server actually could sustain bigger fights without being a complete slideshow. A lot of release banes between large alliances were determined by who had more players who were able to actually do things early on.

SB definitely was unique and I felt that one place is really shined is that preparation was hugely important. The actual mechanics to pvp were simpler although those who were able to take advantage of quirks in the game(I don't mean exploiting) could really give themselves an edge over others. Tactical things like baiting enemy into a bulwark field of burned down bulwarks was amazingly useful if you were running heavy ranged and they were mostly melee because those things were like vacuums if a person wasn't familiar with navigating them.

It definitely wasn't a game where someone with amazing raw talent for gaming would really be able to use their abilities to set themselves far away from others like other competitive games. I'm really hoping that Crowfall finds a balance between the two.

Also your post really made me think of this post: http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/11667-if-you-dont-understand-what-a-puretrue-gamer-is-then-your-not-a-puretrue-gamer/

I'm not denying shadowbane was enjoyable for people and offered them certain types of challenges that fit well for them... it's just good to put it into proper perspective. 

To me it just gets silly when people from very small population games don't realize there is a much larger world of competitive gaming out there and don't really understand where they rank up in regards to that world.