Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ObsLoD

Some Shadowbane reminiscing...

Talking about games is fine... but also understanding why someone might enjoy a game is also good... Some people enjoy shadowbane as a great idea with some ok memories... others treat it like that high school quarterback treats his high school years while he serves you popcorn at a theater 20 years later.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Perhaps all you former SB players with a better memory than I can help me out with something that's been bothering me. I can't remember which server I played on initially but I remember some of the larger guilds that were on it. It was Vorringia, I remember that much, Vicious Cycle held the Sinking Isles, War Pigs were in the west of the mainland, OPP was somewhere I can't remember but they were always getting baned by someone. Of the major guilds those are the only I can recall, this was 13 years ago, mind you.  

Can anyone remind me which server this was?

Wrath.

Checkyotrack is right. Although it wasn't 13 years ago, that would have been about 11 or 12 since it opened up at least a year(and a half I believe) after release which was March 2003.

Actually, that sounds more like Entropy. I don't think the War Pigs held western mainland on Wrath.

IhhQKY6.gif

Talking about games is fine... but also understanding why someone might enjoy a game is also good... Some people enjoy shadowbane as a great idea with some ok memories... others treat it like that high school quarterback treats his high school years while he serves you popcorn at a theater 20 years later.

Not the same analogy. The fact that we're on a video game forums at least puts the fan in the football stands reminiscing about QB'ing. So, if he doesn't still play that would equate him to more of the guy selling hot dogs.

Actually, that sounds more like Entropy. I don't think the War Pigs held western mainland on Wrath.

Yup. VC definitely held the sinking isles on Entropy. I'm not sure about OPP. Idk if he's thinking of WMD in the desert.

Not the same analogy. The fact that we're on a video game forums at least puts the fan in the football stands reminiscing about QB'ing. So, if he doesn't still play that would equate him to more of the guy selling hot dogs.

Yup. VC definitely held the sinking isles on Entropy. I'm not sure about OPP. Idk if he's thinking of WMD in the desert.

Sorry but I disagree... It is more appropriate that he is selling popcorn at the theater, and watching football movies for free because he works there and then nudging random strangers sitting next to him during the movie and telling them he once threw for 1000 yards in his adult flag football season.

You wrote this about people who have strong nostalgia for shadowbane in a thread called some shadowbane reminiscing...what exactly were you expecting?

Besides that, from my perspective that there are people that nostalgic is an indicator of the quality of the game, too.  The reality is, despite its manifold problems (watching old videos makes me cringe), I still have the best gaming memories and experiences of my life in SB.

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

You wrote this about people who have strong nostalgia for shadowbane in a thread called some shadowbane reminiscing...what exactly were you expecting?

Besides that, from my perspective that there are people that nostalgic is an indicator of the quality of the game, too.  The reality is, despite its manifold problems (watching old videos makes me cringe), I still have the best gaming memories and experiences of my life in SB.

Can I get double butter please?

WMD was definitely on the server, now that you mention it. How do you guys remember this stuff?

Hg0LXwa.png

Reminiscing is great... we can all reminisce about shadowbane... it's just silly to get cocky over a click-to-move game from over a decade ago when one could not recreate such success in more complex games.

Also people tend to remember their early gaming experiences with rose-tinted goggles... you ask every mmorpg player what his favorite mmorpg ever was and it is usually one of the first ones they played, and aspects of those games will be embellished.

Edit:  Hell, we've entered an era where ragnarok online may be considered the best mmorpg by some young adult gamers now. 

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

lol ... I liked Dragon Realms and still hate Sony and Everquest.  Though there were some QQ in EQ.  KSing rare mobs, being able to steal from mobs inventory while they were alive, TRAINing Sand Giants, Lockjaw and froglucks in Lower Guk.   OK, EQ had some good memories.

SB had some good memories to.  Killing a server.  Watching people as they publicly declare that they are taking their toys and going home.  Patrolling territory and killing anyone who ever showed up on Tracking.  Destorying any tree that put up trainers and putting a lockdown on people leveling.

Best Shadowbane memory:

Running up to the gate of an allied city.

Me:  *knock*knock*

Them: "Who is it?"

Me:  "It's me, Dave, man open up I got the stuff."

Who: "Who?"

Me: "It's Dave, man, I think the cops saw me come in here."

Them: "Dave's not here."

Perfection...

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

Reminiscing is great... we can all reminisce about shadowbane... it's just silly to get cocky over a click-to-move game from over a decade ago when one could not recreate such success in more complex games.

Also people tend to remember their early gaming experiences with rose-tinted goggles... you ask every mmorpg player what his favorite mmorpg ever was and it is usually one of the first ones they played, and aspects of those games will be embellished.

Edit:  Hell, we've entered an era where ragnarok online may be considered the best mmorpg by some young adult gamers now. 

I think that's part of why this game is so great.  It's bringing in all kinds of gamers, each with unique skill sets.  I think guilds/nations are going to need all types of gamers to fully dominate Crowfall.  You'll need Pro-gamer types of act as tactical squads to meet certain objectives.  You'll need incredible leadership that can see a top down view of the battle (figuratively, of course) and organize all of his various squads.  You'll need dedicated crafters that can control the marketplace and secure goods for your wars.

All of these groups will have to work together to be successful (which will mean something different for each entity).  I think it's unfair to say that Pro-gamers are some higher tier of gamer WRT (physics term for "with respect to") other gamers that have played similar games to Crowfall (like Shadowbane and Darkfall).  Pro-gamers might hate having to farm resources, craft items, control the marketplace, make a carebear EKs, etc.  They'll need other people for that!

And this isn't just some hippy response saying that we should all just get along.  MMOs have a weird balance of gameplay.  Crowfall will be something like 10-20% PVP skirmishes, 50% leveling/farming, 10-20% crafting, 5-10% sieges.  It's all user-created content, which a lot of people might not be used to.

ANYWAYS, I'm excited for all of us to get in there and get our game on.

Edited by damebix

qMEsHyg.png

www.winterblades.net

I think that's part of why this game is so great.  It's bringing in all kinds of gamers, each with unique skill sets.  I think guilds/nations are going to need all types of gamers to fully dominate Crowfall.  You'll need Pro-gamer types of act as tactical squads to meet certain objectives.  You'll need incredible leadership that can see a top down view of the battle (figuratively, of course) and organize all of his various squads.  You'll need dedicated crafters that can control the marketplace and secure goods for your wars.

All of these groups will have to work together to be successful (which will mean something different for each entity).  I think it's unfair to say that Pro-gamers are some higher tier of gamer WRT (physics term for "with respect to") other gamers that have played similar games to Crowfall (like Shadowbane and Darkfall).  Pro-gamers might hate having to farm resources, craft items, control the marketplace, make a carebear EKs, etc.  They'll need other people for that!

And this isn't just some hippy response saying that we should all just get along.  MMOs have a weird balance of gameplay.  Crowfall will be something like 10-20% PVP skirmishes, 50% leveling/farming, 10-20% crafting, 5-10% sieges.  It's all user-created content, which a lot of people might not be used to.

ANYWAYS, I'm excited for all of us to get in there and get our game on.

Pro-gamers are the rarest and most skilled members of a guild... everything else is easy to fill... 

In this game leadership will be far, far more important to success than "pro-gamers."

You know the best leaders are pro-gamers right?

They outclass non pro-gamers in every possible way, which is why they are pros. 

You know the best leaders are pro-gamers right?

They outclass non pro-gamers in every possible way, which is why they are pros. 

I guess you're going to need to find some then.  ;)

I think you are right, I may be mixing the two up. Although I could have sworn that WMD was in the desert on Wrath which others have mentioned as being entropy?

C4sIZDW.gif