Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ObsLoD

Some Shadowbane reminiscing...

Had you played it, you'd be passionate too.

I honestly wish I had never played Shadowbane. It ruined other video games for me. Most Gamers don't know how lucky they are to be able to believe the s*** on the market is worth wasting your time.

Plenty of great pvp games out there that require exponentially more skill than shadowbane ever did... you should try them out and see how you do!

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Had you played it, you'd be passionate too.

I honestly wish I had never played Shadowbane. It ruined other video games for me. Most Gamers don't know how lucky they are to be able to believe the s*** on the market is worth wasting your time.

"Passionate" was putting it nicely. Everyone here just looks like they're jonesing for a drug they can't get as often as they would like. And not a good one, a really terrible one like crack cocaine.

Saying I'd understand if I played Shadowbane is like saying I'd understand if I played UO, Mortal Kombat on Sega Genesis, Duck Hunt, or Spaced Invaders. I'll let Vietnam Veterans tell me what it was like back in '69 and you guys can tell me what it was like in the olden days.

Carry on.

Plenty of great pvp games out there that require exponentially more skill than shadowbane ever did... you should try them out and see how you do!

LOL. Spoken like a true theme park beta. 

xctwLnf.png

I'll let Vietnam Veterans tell me what it was like back in '69 and you guys can tell me what it was like in the olden days.

If you jumped into a thread called "Some Vietnam Reminiscing" what else would you expect?

IhhQKY6.gif

"Passionate" was putting it nicely. Everyone here just looks like they're jonesing for a drug they can't get as often as they would like. And not a good one, a really terrible one like crack cocaine.

Saying I'd understand if I played Shadowbane is like saying I'd understand if I played UO, Mortal Kombat on Sega Genesis, Duck Hunt, or Spaced Invaders. I'll let Vietnam Veterans tell me what it was like back in '69 and you guys can tell me what it was like in the olden days.

Carry on.

I know you can't understand it no matter what we tell you, that's why I wasn't a hooligan to you. If we're very lucky, the guy who made that game may give us another that can actually hold the proverbial jockstrap of SB. I hope you get to experience it.

Edit: and who the custard ever fondly recalls as an amazing experience the Vietnam war? Or Duckhunt? Fail analogy IMO.

Edited by coolwaters

I know you can read, so why do you assume I have not tried many other games and found them wanting?

Did you find them wanting or did they find you wanting?

If you jumped into a thread called "Some Vietnam Reminiscing" what else would you expect?

More than 5 people were in Vietnam. If their thread was 30 pages long, I'd understand. Everyone here is losing their mind about who is on top of digital pile of a dead video game.

Edit: and who the custard ever fondly recalls as an amazing experience the Vietnam war? Or Duckhunt? Fail analogy IMO.

Maybe you don't understand the experience because you weren't there? 

giphy.gif

Don't want to make your analogies for you. If I wanted to argue with myself, I'd just join the same guild everyone else is in.

But the conflict is not the same.  I can attempt to expertly twitch and rotate through an arena, but arena's are canned, sterile, meaningless, mini-game add-ons that do not fit, at least in any iteration I can think of, within a RPG.  The problem is that PvP conflict is not, by and large, the core of these games like it was in SB and therefore they just can't compete, no matter how many times you animation cancel your way to a hollow victory.  It is not that it doesn't take a certain type of skill, it's just that it doesn't matter.   

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

Well, my dad was there (Vietnam) and I was there (Duckhunt).

Both remain stupid analogies to this thread (that you are trolling).

How am I trolling this thread? It's literally a bunch of people crying for 30 pages about who is the best. The entire thread is full of worthless words about a worthless game. I find it odd that someone can find I detract from the value of this thread simply because I'm the only here not implying that I won shadowbane?

But the conflict is not the same.  I can attempt to expertly twitch and rotate through an arena, but arena's are canned, sterile, meaningless, mini-game add-ons that do not fit, at least in any iteration I can think of, within a RPG.  The problem is that PvP conflict is not, by and large, the core of these games like it was in SB and therefore they just can't compete, no matter how many times you animation cancel your way to a hollow victory.  It is not that it doesn't take a certain type of skill, it's just that it doesn't matter.   

The "conflict" is all a matter of perception.  What matters is skill... That's something games like shadowbane required very little of compared to competitive games these days.

If skill didn't matter everyone would be playing eve online, but skill does matter, which is why the most talented gamers play games that require tremendous skill.

The "conflict" is all a matter of perception.  What matters is skill... That's something games like shadowbane required very little of compared to competitive games these days.

If skill didn't matter everyone would be playing eve online, but skill does matter, which is why the most talented gamers play games that require tremendous skill.

I have to disagree... RPGs are narrative in nature and, at their best, player driven.  Also, "most talent gamers" is a subjective classification.  If the game is an arena, then yes, those who win consistently at the highest levels are the most talented.  However, SB was not and CF will not be that type of game.  Instead, we are promised a sandboxish world in which we create the story--similar to EvE.  I think you'll see people like crafters and those with political skill being some of the most successful individuals in CF, and therefor the most "talented."     

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

I have to disagree... RPGs are narrative in nature and, at their best, player driven.  Also, "most talent gamers" is a subjective classification.  If the game is an arena, then yes, those who win consistently at the highest levels are the most talented.  However, SB was not and CF will not be that type of game.  Instead, we are promised a sandboxish world in which we create the story--similar to EvE.  I think you'll see people like crafters and those with political skill being some of the most successful individuals in CF, and therefor the most "talented."     

You can create any narrative you want, you can see it even in this thread... there are tons of people that are remembering shadowbane incorrectly, but in their mind they have fond memories of the game they perceive to have existed. 

You see roleplayers in mmorpgs create all sorts of narratives not built into the game all of the time. 

Skill is skill, it does not change... people can claim skills related specifically to logistics and politics are special and unique to certain games, but they really aren't... they are just efficiency skill in a different wrapper.  Every competitive game is all about understanding the lay of the land and navigating it properly... when it all boils down every game is like that, the ones that get too focused on the individual wrappers are the ones that have a tough time transferring any skill they may have. 

Edit:  On top of it people generally gravitate to wrappers they excel at, but remain incomplete as gamers in general.  So some guy with crappy mechanics may want a game that focuses less on mechanical skill, another guy with crappy decision making may want a game that focuses less on vital decision making... but in the end those are just incomplete gamers... the real skill comes when people are capable of utilizing skill in general at a high level... not just one or two types of skills.

Edited by VIKINGNAIL