Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ObsLoD

Some Shadowbane reminiscing...

We played Shadowbane on the Death server(of course) and it was one of the greatest moments in gaming i can remember. It was such a struggle that it almost felt like watching an epic war movie unfold on a daily basis. I can still remember setting alarm clocks to 4am to wake up for my "shift" to protect our walls from being destroyed. What a rush and truly great experience that SB(and all server resets) gave to us all. If this this game is anything like it, we are in for a real treat.

One of our guys made some magazine style history .pdf's of our adventures on the Death server, hopefully some of you played with or against us at some point and will enjoy these.

http://www.lordsofdeath.com/history2/shadowbane_part_1.pdf

http://www.lordsofdeath.com/history2/shadowbane_part_2.pdf

Look forward to chopping it up with new and old enemies in whatever J and Gordon come up with.

-Obs

www.lordsofdeath.com

www.youtube.com/obslod

Holy poorly made socks. I'm the first RPer that's quoted in that PDF. God damn Death server was fun. Hope to see LoD in Crowfall.

Hugs and Unicorn Kisses,

Formerly Avandias

Lol, no one from the SB community even knows who Vikingnail is... Does this jester even remember which guild or server he played on? Does he even remember what ubi.com handle he used; could we even find evidence of his existence in the ubiforum archives? Obviously not. I just find it astonishing that an unknown alleged Shadowbane player would invest more time and far more effort than even I would in an argument that no one will ever read about a long dead game. You know it's bad when even I am not even going to bother to read all of your long-winded posts in toto.

Speaking of the SB community, it's a shame that more players from the community are not on here (yet). It's a shame because some of the assertions that I've seen represented as 'factual' on here would be reflexively dismissed and would instantly trigger a cacophony of lulz from the vast majority of veteran players who actually played the game for years and across several servers. If nothing else, they would at least invite a greater amount of scrutiny from a greater number of articulate and well-informed veteran players (not that there's anything lacking in those who have contributed to this discussion thus far). I never thought that I would actually miss the old SB posting community to any degree...

Ah, enough emo nonsense! I only have one other point to make on the historical server population discussion, even though I find it depressing that I have to be the one to make this point (where the hell are all of the old Shadowbane players?) This point is purely technical and only meant for the SB vets. Anyway - I cannot comment about the relative numbers of "server accounts" and how they reflected server population, nor have I ever had access to any statistics evincing the relative number server accounts active on each server at a particular time, nor was I ever made aware that such statistics ever existed. In fact, albeit I am reluctant, I am forced to confess that I find all of this talk about "server account numbers" completely contrived if not wholly imaginary and fictitious, but hey, maybe such statistics did exist and maybe they were accessible at one time to certain "special" colored name players (although none of the Advocates or Loremasters or any other widely known Special Ubiforum Snowflakes who played in one of my guilds ever spoke of such a concept).

Notwithstanding that, I can talk about relative server pop numbers in the sense of accounts that were actually logged in at one time or another back when /who used to reveal those server statistics, and I find it disheartening that there are no other former Vengeance players (not even facerip) chomping at the bit to point out the obvious fact that the Vengeance server boasted population numbers that amply blew away those of any other server at its peak, even Corruption during its prime, by an almost absurd proportion, especially after all of the server consolidations were completed on Vengeance. Vengeance's pop was even competitive if not higher than Corruption's when just Scorn and Treachery were migrated into it. By the time the populations of Carnage, Chaos, Death, Dread, Deception, and so forth and so on (I think that only Fear [if even] was added into the Corruption pool, with War going to Entropy), Vengeance's population was so ridiculous that it was unmanageable. To illustrate, while my primary server was Treachery, I also played on both the Death and Dread servers after release, and I honestly cannot recall any of these servers breaking 1000 accounts logged in at any single time (although Mourning may have come close or even done so back in the day, I'm not certain). In fact, people would have a collective orgasm when a release server exceeded 600 or 700 accounts logged in at any one time. Vengeance was classed as a "high pop" server when it would hover ~700 before all of the server migrations were complete. In any case, when the server migrations to Vengeance were all finished (around Thanksgiving of 2003), Vengeance's server pop was averaging around 1500 accounts logged in and that's not an exaggeration. Server crashes during banes that involved the different server coalitions were frequent during that time to the point it was driving the community bonkers and leading to all sorts of conspiracy allegations.

I'm not saying this for any sort of "bragging" purposes because I really don't give a poorly made socks and in fact left the Vengeance server drama at one point to screw around on the Entropy server.. I'm just pointing it out because Vengeance's intense server instability due to overpopulation used to be common knowledge on the ubbforum community and frequently discussed; now I'm seeing representations that Corruption's server pop was implicitly comparable or perhaps even foremost when in fact the situation wasn't even close, at least not after all of the migrations and consolidations were complete. On the same token, the best of the best release server populations likewise did not come close to matching Vengeance's server population numbers, especially at Vengeance's peak, and when you account for all of the different server populations that were submerged into Vengeance's pop, it's really not difficult to see why.

On a final note, thanks for the compliment (?) Lindorn. Your nice comment was quite refreshing, as I have not brought any old Shadowbane players to climax with my posting since my forum interactions with Starfish, and I've been slowly dying ever since!

4H4LmCE.gif

Scourge of the Shadowbane community, Public Enemy No. 1 to the SBEMU Forum Moderators, and member of the "Suppressed Person" faction on the Ubiforums. The man responsible for hooking up Ceska and CheckYoTrack. Also a 21-time World Heavyweight Champion of Shadowbane.

Lol, no one from the SB community even knows who Vikingnail is... Does this jester even remember which guild or server he played on? Does he even remember what ubi.com handle he used; could we even find evidence of his existence in the ubiforum archives? Obviously not. I just find it astonishing that an unknown alleged Shadowbane player would invest more time and far more effort than even I would in an argument that no one will ever read about a long dead game. You know it's bad when even I am not even going to bother to read all of your long-winded posts in toto.

If you don't sit at the table of champions you don't know who's who of anything. 

Speaking of the SB community, it's a shame that more players from the community are not on here (yet). It's a shame because some of the assertions that I've seen represented as 'factual' on here would be reflexively dismissed and would instantly trigger a cacophony of lulz from the vast majority of veteran players who actually played the game for years and across several servers. If nothing else, they would at least invite a greater amount of scrutiny from a greater number of articulate and well-informed veteran players (not that there's anything lacking in those who have contributed to this discussion thus far). I never thought that I would actually miss the old SB posting community to any degree...

The best shadowbane players for the most part aren't here yet, just a few of us scouts to keep tabs on the game.  Unfortunately for now I am going to have to be the one lulzing at the silliness you emulator players claim. 

Ah, enough emo nonsense! I only have one other point to make on the historical server population discussion, even though I find it depressing that I have to be the one to make this point (where the hell are all of the old Shadowbane players?) This point is purely technical and only meant for the SB vets. Anyway - I cannot comment about the relative numbers of "server accounts" and how they reflected server population, nor have I ever had access to any statistics evincing the relative number server accounts active on each server at a particular time, nor was I ever made aware that such statistics ever existed. In fact, albeit I am reluctant, I am forced to confess that I find all of this talk about "server account numbers" completely contrived if not wholly imaginary and fictitious, but hey, maybe such statistics did exist and maybe they were accessible at one time to certain "special" colored name players (although none of the Advocates or Loremasters or any other widely known Special Ubiforum Snowflakes who played in one of my guilds ever spoke of such a concept).

Some people just aren't aware of their surroundings when playing a game.

Notwithstanding that, I can talk about relative server pop numbers in the sense of accounts that were actually logged in at one time or another back when /who used to reveal those server statistics, and I find it disheartening that there are no other former Vengeance players (not even facerip) chomping at the bit to point out the obvious fact that the Vengeance server boasted population numbers that amply blew away those of any other server at its peak, even Corruption during its prime, by an almost absurd proportion, especially after all of the server consolidations were completed on Vengeance. Vengeance's pop was even competitive if not higher than Corruption's when just Scorn and Treachery were migrated into it. By the time the populations of Carnage, Chaos, Death, Dread, Deception, and so forth and so on (I think that only Fear [if even] was added into the Corruption pool, with War going to Entropy), Vengeance's population was so ridiculous that it was unmanageable. To illustrate, while my primary server was Treachery, I also played on both the Death and Dread servers after release, and I honestly cannot recall any of these servers breaking 1000 accounts logged in at any single time (although Mourning may have come close or even done so back in the day, I'm not certain). In fact, people would have a collective orgasm when a release server exceeded 600 or 700 accounts logged in at any one time. Vengeance was classed as a "high pop" server when it would hover ~700 before all of the server migrations were complete. In any case, when the server migrations to Vengeance were all finished (around Thanksgiving of 2003), Vengeance's server pop was averaging around 1500 accounts logged in and that's not an exaggeration. Server crashes during banes that involved the different server coalitions were frequent during that time to the point it was driving the community bonkers and leading to all sorts of conspiracy allegations.

Facerip doesn't seem to generally care what emulator players brag about. 

I'm not saying this for any sort of "bragging" purposes because I really don't give a poorly made socks and in fact left the Vengeance server drama at one point to screw around on the Entropy server.. I'm just pointing it out because Vengeance's intense server instability due to overpopulation used to be common knowledge on the ubbforum community and frequently discussed; now I'm seeing representations that Corruption's server pop was implicitly comparable or perhaps even foremost when in fact the situation wasn't even close, at least not after all of the migrations and consolidations were complete. On the same token, the best of the best release server populations likewise did not come close to matching Vengeance's server population numbers, especially at Vengeance's peak, and when you account for all of the different server populations that were submerged into Vengeance's pop, it's really not difficult to see why.

Scorn was the most populated server at launch, it was more populated than any other server that came after... If you had sat at the table of champions this would be common knowledge to you.

On a final note, thanks for the compliment (?) Lindorn. Your nice comment was quite refreshing, as I have not brought any old Shadowbane players to climax with my posting since my forum interactions with Starfish, and I've been slowly dying ever since!

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Out of a bit of insomnolent boredom and a little curiosity, I decided to open up the first part of the LoD History PDF posted by Obs. Call it sheer serendipity, subconscious synchronicity, or my latent psychic powers at work, but I just so happened to stumble across a paragraph that helps illustrate why VIKINGNAIL's pseudo-argument is so patently absurd that it doesn't even deserve another mention, but nonetheless, on p. 17 it reads:

Somewhere along this line, ventrillo was introduced to LoD as we made the long overdue move from IRC to voice-com. Ventrillo brought to LoD a renewed sense of comradeship and gave us (among other things valuable in-game) Venger 's non-stop drunkenness, Gobbles “advanced humor”, Isobel's notorious anger, Judas aka StoneColdSteveAustin, Sanglant the Hawaii-xican, Eternam the Canadian, Bizzle Ma'Nizzle laugh, Alphonzo 's infamous singing, Snarfy grieving us with his dialup speech stutter, Couladin and Warmonger 's shouting, the voice twins Kurupt and Psylon , “droppp it while it's hot”, Skunkbush's and other Legionarious' attempts on ventrillo cybering Ardente, Yahoo Pool and Yahoo Chess, Chichi aka “the stupid mothercustard” who later turned out to be “one cool mother custard”, and later on Secrets from WN, quite possibly the most annoying gripe in history of mankind.

What this reveals is that one of Shadowbane's most legendary, renowned, and widely respected nations, one that had dominated a competitive and contentious Shadowbane release server, in fact doing so despite having the rest of the entirety of their server allied and arrayed against them, did not even implement the use of a voice communication server until well after the Death server started. According to their own account, they did not even do so until well after the server's initial prevailing political scheme had already evolved to a point where the rest of the server was allied against them, in fact this was after they had already solidified their reputation as the "evil PK" faction of the server.

As someone who played since release and who can actually remember what the progression of the game was like, this does not surprise me at all. In fact, I had a similar experience on Treachery. I had played for what was probably a couple months in a slew of different guilds, some quite large, before I had joined my first guild that had actually used a voice comm server (TeamSpeak), which was Juevos del Diablo (JDD) at that particular time. In other words, I had played in a number of guilds, and had even fought in multiple large-scale sieges involving the 'server alliance' pitted against CoS, in guilds that didn't even use a voice comm server... In fact, a guild could become somewhat dominant in PvP back then just by the mere fact of utilizing a guild voice comm server alone. I know this because I ran my own small PK guild on Treachery that had held its own and fought rather admirably against a server coalition of much larger 'carebear' guilds, despite being heavily outnumbered at every turn, simply because we utilized a voice comm server and had a modicum of organization. We didn't have anything close to the level of advanced organization or tactics utilized by guilds in sieges that took place just a year later, and not even a scintilla of that skill employed by competitive guilds two years later. We honestly didn't even have truly well honed template builds or spec group organization at that very early stage. In fact, back then, a small PK guild in a voice comm server could dominate most of a server with primarily healer casters, as Block was originally ridiculously OP and Channelers could spam bolts to deal out ridiculous amounts of damage. I still, to this frickin' day, recall camping a certain Minotaur RP guild on Treachery for hours after I had applied a +40 int to my first elf healer channeler with gold block, as I could easily tank and kill a small group of 3-4 solo just by healing myself, nuking, and running around. Many melee players didn't even use weapon styles back then!

In other words, VIKINGNAIL's position is not only patently absurd, but eminently WHACK. Shadowbane's PvP and GvG was at its least evolved point when he played. The average player was terrible, playing on poorly made characters that weren't even utilized properly, running around in guilds that were not highly evolved, most of whom did not even use a voice comm server to coordinate themselves. Even though the release servers weren't even the most populated servers objectively and empirically speaking (it's just laughably absurd to claim that no subsequent server pop exceeded that of Scorn when Scorn probably only fielded 1/4 or 1/3 of Vengeance's server pop at their respective peaks), it wouldn't even matter if they were, since everyone for the most part sucked at the game back then, at least relative to the skill curve attained by each server after 2004. Again, this is not said to diminish any of the accomplishments attained by the dominant release server guilds, as some of their respective accomplishments were still considerably impressive in my view even if the average guild wasn't very advanced or highly organized at that time. For instance, I still think that HeRog Valthanor can probably present the best case that he arguably "won" Shadowbane even if it's true that he probably wouldn't even have been considered very good at the game in a competitive PvP guild circa 2005 and later.

[Edit - I unfortunately had to edit this post because one cannot use the "R word" here, even if it's quite appropriate... Needless to say, writing that Vikingnail made an "eminently wonderful" assertion didn't make any sense. Thanks for that filter.]

Edited by managainsttime

4H4LmCE.gif

Scourge of the Shadowbane community, Public Enemy No. 1 to the SBEMU Forum Moderators, and member of the "Suppressed Person" faction on the Ubiforums. The man responsible for hooking up Ceska and CheckYoTrack. Also a 21-time World Heavyweight Champion of Shadowbane.

Out of a bit of insomnolent boredom and a little curiosity, I decided to open up the first part of the LoD History PDF posted by Obs. Call it sheer serendipity, subconscious synchronicity, or my latent psychic powers at work, but I just so happened to stumble across a paragraph that helps illustrate why VIKINGNAIL's pseudo-argument is so patently absurd that it doesn't even deserve another mention, but nonetheless, on p. 17 it reads:

What this reveals is that one of Shadowbane's most legendary, renowned, and widely respected nations, one that had dominated a competitive and contentious Shadowbane release server, in fact doing so despite having the rest of the entirety of their server allied and arrayed against them, did not even implement the use of a voice communication server until well after the Death server started. According to their own account, they did not even do so until well after the server's initial prevailing political scheme had already evolved to a point where the rest of the server was allied against them, in fact this was after they had already solidified their reputation as the "evil PK" faction of the server.

As someone who played since release and who can actually remember what the progression of the game was like, this does not surprise me at all. In fact, I had a similar experience on Treachery. I had played for what was probably a couple months in a slew of different guilds, some quite large, before I had joined my first guild that had actually used a voice comm server (TeamSpeak), which was Juevos del Diablo (JDD) at that particular time. In other words, I had played in a number of guilds, and had even fought in multiple large-scale sieges involving the 'server alliance' pitted against CoS, in guilds that didn't even use a voice comm server... In fact, a guild could become somewhat dominant in PvP back then just by the mere fact of utilizing a guild voice comm server alone. I know this because I ran my own small PK guild on Treachery that had held its own and fought rather admirably against a server coalition of much larger 'carebear' guilds, despite being heavily outnumbered at every turn, simply because we utilized a voice comm server and had a modicum of organization. We didn't have anything close to the level of advanced organization or tactics utilized by guilds in sieges that took place just a year later, and not even a scintilla of that skill employed by competitive guilds two years later. We honestly didn't even have truly well honed template builds or spec group organization at that very early stage. In fact, back then, a small PK guild in a voice comm server could dominate most of a server with primarily healer casters, as Block was originally ridiculously OP and Channelers could spam bolts to deal out ridiculous amounts of damage. I still, to this frickin' day, recall camping a certain Minotaur RP guild on Treachery for hours after I had applied a +40 int to my first elf healer channeler with gold block, as I could easily tank and kill a small group of 3-4 solo just by healing myself, nuking, and running around. Many melee players didn't even use weapon styles back then!

In other words, VIKINGNAIL's position is not only patently absurd, but eminently WHACK. Shadowbane's PvP and GvG was at its least evolved point when he played. The average player was terrible, playing on poorly made characters that weren't even utilized properly, running around in guilds that were not highly evolved, most of whom did not even use a voice comm server to coordinate themselves. Even though the release servers weren't even the most populated servers objectively and empirically speaking (it's just laughably absurd to claim that no subsequent server pop exceeded that of Scorn when Scorn probably only fielded 1/4 or 1/3 of Vengeance's server pop at their respective peaks), it wouldn't even matter if they were, since everyone for the most part sucked at the game back then, at least relative to the skill curve attained by each server after 2004. Again, this is not said to diminish any of the accomplishments attained by the dominant release server guilds, as some of their respective accomplishments were still considerably impressive in my view even if the average guild wasn't very advanced or highly organized at that time. For instance, I still think that HeRog Valthanor can probably present the best case that he arguably "won" Shadowbane even if it's true that he probably wouldn't even have been considered very good at the game in a competitive PvP guild circa 2005 and later.

[Edit - I unfortunately had to edit this post because one cannot use the "R word" here, even if it's quite appropriate... Needless to say, writing that Vikingnail made an "eminently wonderful" assertion didn't make any sense. Thanks for that filter.]

Dunno what to tell you pal, if you never sat at the table, you never sat at the table.

Seems like you are trying to argue that you were so unevolved in your level of play that everyone else must have been, simply not the case.  You know what the great shadowbane players were doing in 2005?  Playing games that took much more skill at that point. 

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

SB vets don't sit at tables. We put our enemies through them.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/12c902c8f44ef4874e575d86c17e9807/tumblr_nbzsdvYC8d1sdqajoo1_400.gif

The dominant SB vets sat at the table of champions... The rest just kinda reminisce about events that happened after the game lost most of its players. 

The dominant SB vets sat at the table of champions... The rest just kinda reminisce about events that happened after the game lost most of its players. 

Data source? Your guild? Your server?

CF_Van.png

That's like a bronze 5 player asking you to prove that wave management is a thing.

If you were half as clever as you think you are, you'd be double the actual value. I lol at your LoL reference.

CF_Van.png

If you were half as clever as you think you are, you'd be double the actual value. I lol at your LoL reference.

If you had sat at the table of champions, you'd realize how silly you have sounded.

Vikingnail at the table of unknown n00b scrubs:

Unhappy-boy-sitting-at-dinner-table.jpg

After all of the hard effort he put into figuring out how to get pulled in group formation followed by pressing ctrl + A, all he got was a plate of inedible crap.

okay okay, I'm kidding. It's pretty self-evident that VIKINGNAIL never even actually played Shadowbane, not in 2003 or at any point thereafter.

Edited by managainsttime

4H4LmCE.gif