Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jetah

New Species — Naga

I freacking love naga's! Or lamia, whichever you prefer... Their most likely my favorite race design wise. Assuming they go for a scale, serpentine look, for the upper body and not just ground based mermaids. I'd certainly back this as a new pledge goal.

Lf6MJUL.png

Meryk - Member

I don't feel they need the ability to to jump. That kind of mind set that every  race need to be essentally the same, is what has made the industri as bland and lifeless as it is. However some of the ways Crowfall distinct their races from others are interesting and I would like to see it continue with the naga. Why would it need to jump? That is right up there as most WoW threads saying Naga's are impossible because how would they mount anything.

My suggestion to both counts is that they dont and instead they have their own way of moving around things. We already know much of crowfalls staff came from DC online, so I'd suggest something like the super speed from said game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKPfvGJHRvo

I think it would be awesome to see Naga slither around at high speeds, climbing walls and leap at targets from on high. Much like in the video Tipsy linked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvee3XNktyU

Because while snakes aren't really known for jumping, they sure can leap. Maybe they could be a bit like the hunter from left for dead? With a racial charge to close the distance and wrap around her prey. If they do decide to go for another melee assassin, I see this being quite the fun counter point to the Fae.

Edited by Acidstrider

Lf6MJUL.png

Meryk - Member

I'm not necessarily suggesting that they only grapple, but it seems like a practical race specific behavior. It's also an animation nightmare I'm sure.

As for behavior, the original Hindu legends describe them as jealous, conniving beings, their nemesis is the Garuda, a singular super powered being.

Being snakes and having a villianous source, I'd imaging them more as wicked or cunning, and dark, kind of like fae. They could also be small to help compensate for many unique behaviors and advantages.

Well, in most Buddhist and some eastern asian countries, the naga acts much more like the Chinese Long Dragon: Wise, with dominion over fire and water, and also acts as a shield for the buddha in wind and rain. It is often portrayed as a divine aid or protector in buddhist mythology, even being capable of enlightenment. Just playing devil's advocate.

I wouldn't be to quick to throw historical accurecy around in a work of fiction. If they do decide to go down that route, good on them. Yet iron does not seem to burn Fae on contact and elves as we know them today has little to nothing to do with elves in mythology. I could ramble on, but my point being more that citing accurate real life mythology, dosen't really add anything productive to the conversation.

just serves to derail the subject matter.

If anything we should be going into crowfall mythology. Like maybe the naga are the offspring of Yaemir and Lyessa. With the all father gone, Yaemir is no longer bound as he was before. He and Lyessa begin trying to free themselves or at least their young. Or maybe there is a outside influence that decide to harness Yaemir and Lyessa's power for their own ends. Maybe a third party beyond the gods and the hunger? Or maybe a result of their growing conflict.

Either way I do think there is a lot of potential for a expansion in the general idea.

Edited by Acidstrider

Lf6MJUL.png

Meryk - Member

I thought I heared them mention there will be places/building that some archetypes won't be able to enter in a vid..Not sure which one thought.

It is perfectly fine if one archetype has a talent,which another archetype lacks.

Strong and weak points help individualizing each playable archetype.These would not be imbalances but rather help adding unique flavours for the to be played archetypes..

I think some players would have it difficult accepting that they can't be the best on all levels.Thus there will always be complaints.

But if we look purely from a design perspective it is for the better that archetypes gain distinguishing play mechanics,unique characteristics.

Its ok that not all archetypes share the same speed,..

Distinguishing characteristics,strenghts and weaknesses for each archetypes makes it so that players have to work as a team.

Each archetype would pose their own challenges,both encountering and playing one.

There are many reasons why I want to see a serpentine archetype.

For one ,I'd love to see Allison,our snake-mistress,her take on it.

I love them snaky waky..

Also I think they would make for a very interesting archetype that has potential to improve the flow of battle.

Like the gorgon's gaze to keep melee at bay.

Infact,Naga,gorgon..it doesn't matter..If they would go for a serpentine race they'll probably call it differently.

Like they called Minotaurs Myrmidon

And it seems like the difference between naga and gorgon seems to vanish in other games I used to like ,like Heroes of might and magic III

In Hom III ,naga and gorgons were 2 separate units.

naga_and_medusa_by_aloira-d3hlhev.jpg

Now we are at Hom 7 and they seem to have mixed naga and gorgons lore-wise entirely:

"

The Dragon Gods have many faces, not all of them nice. Naga Priestesses who succumb to the madness of the depths are exiled from the Lotus Empire, and become known as Medusae. 

Most Medusae worship the Wrecker, the destructive aspect of the Dragon Goddess of Water, but the ones found in Ygg-Chall are also pretty good with Dark Magic."

Not that I like the recent Heroes games..but just had to take a look as an old fan.

Naga ,gorgon is just a matter of flavour (although I myself prefer gorgons because I believe they have potential to even bring just a little more to the table for battles with their stone gaze)

The ones that want gorgon or Naga both want a serpentine in the end.

Obviously a serpentine archetype would be very unique

Edited by Tipsy

I do not know which type I'd prefer them as. On the one side my favored class in Nosgoth is summoner. Climbing up walls and raining down death from on high is very satisfying. But I love chasing people down in games such as Alien VS Predator. The concept of being a hexa weilding gorgon is just AMAZING!!!

marilith_by_sam_wood___________by_oblivi

Since they keep refering to crowfall in terms of a stradegy game this might be equvilant to your Swarmlord (warhammer) or Ultralisk (Starcraft) Where it is a beast in up front combat. However it does not have the manouverbility of other archetypes. In left for dead the tank is not balanced compared to the survivors. In Evolve the beast is not equal to the hunters.

And yet a well orginized team can easily destroy both, by means of map awareness and mouvering. Would it be unbalanced in one on one combat? Yes, but as they keep making it clear, Crowfall is not meant for one on one encounters. While she is faster on foot and might be able to scale walls, the Naga is incapable of mounting up. This means that a charge must be slowed down accordingly or they must simply leave her to fend for herself. She would be slow to change position in the feild and without a mount, retreat might not be a option for her.

Further more she would be a huge drain of resorces. Like the centaur, she eats much more than the average unit. So if you were to spam these out, you'd have a large number of slow moving units, quickly eating all of your supplies, While the enemy just bide their time with hit and run tactics.

Though personally I think the average gamer might be put off by not being able to mount. Which is all good by me! I love being the 1%.... Abathur for life!

Also this is my arguement for this being to expensive :P
https://youtu.be/TrPjOIlhYEE?t=1m46s
No need to add tail physics or anything fancy like that.

Edited by Acidstrider

Lf6MJUL.png

Meryk - Member

Awesome smite footage ,never played the game..But it isn't hard to see that this serpentine archetype could work just nicely.

I'm one of those players that couldn't care less about mounts.

Her petrify ability wouldn't be unfair in 1vs1 if it has a chance to miss,perhaps..

In large chaotic battles she might be harder to handle too 

I do like the footage of Dc online you linked earlier,about the super speed..Although I think for a gorgon it should be a subtle form of that,not so extreme as in Dc online.

Lets think about specializations/promotions for gorgons/naga

One of the three might be like you suggest above

Some kind of Naga Swarmer

Acrobatic naga inspired bladedancer that can imbue her blades with dark energy,...

2IxojOx.jpg

The tidecaller,a summoner/priestess of sorts

6Qg0GCf.jpg

And finally,The scourge,the typical Medusa ,causing dreadful affliction & devastation.

Can use axe to shatter/pulverize her petrified victims,may also use a bow..More like a Dark arcane archer

B4WLQeu.jpg

Hmm that artstyle and coloring of the last one seems about right..yet I prefer to see a version by allison 

Oh an albino Naga/Gorgon would be sweet too I think :D

There would be many possibilities& room for customization

Eyes,but patterns,color variations,...

I'm one of those players that couldn't care less about mounts.
Her petrify ability wouldn't be unfair in 1vs1 if it has a chance to miss,perhaps..
I do like the footage of Dc online you linked earlier,about the super speed..Although I think for a gorgon it should be a subtle form of that,not so extreme as in Dc online.
Lets think about specializations/promotions for gorgons/naga

One of the three might be like you suggest above

Yeah same here. I'd welcome the exuse to explore and keep guard.

Well smite kind of have that. As long as you look away her petrify dosen't work. Medusa is more balanced in one on one, but against someone who knows what he is doing, she is seriously nerfed. They just turn around the moment you start charging up petrify.

Yes, but it is a nice example as to how it might look like. With the character sliding up surfaces and falling off if they slow to much.

I like your general ideas of what their path might be though. Could say Yaemir gave them the gift of light and Lyessa darkness. While you could say Yaemir and Lyessa, being the sun and the sky, gave them power over wind and fire. If we wanted to go after real life mythology. But personally I feel the frost weaver and confessor cover that fairly well already. So having a them wield light and darkness would be more distinctive. Maybe their hero character in the lore would be a twist on hel?

2ac42e063e3f251c4f6628e64ad8fad1.jpg

Seems fitting since in mythology, Hel was the sister of Jormengander, who I am fairly certain Yaemir and Lyessa are based on. It also goes nicely with the whole theme of Yaemir and Lyessa being two pieces of eternity.

Edited by Acidstrider

Lf6MJUL.png

Meryk - Member

In Gw 2,Lyssa was like a godess of deception&illusion if I remember correctly

200px-Lyssa.jpg

If we'd go for light/dark wielding ,I think such promotion might turn out more naga inspired,but I really like Hel,though she is unknown to me..

Perhaps some Matriarch/Oracle inspired twist could be done for one of the promotions

medusa_the_queen_by_arbu.jpg

Since we'll most likely get a male version for assassin.

ZCoGVEk.png

I'd prefer if they were mostly reptilian in appearance.

tumblr_inline_npuuugMtnz1r4dio3_400.jpg

Though I've come to accept that I am in the minority. And usually if you want a race to apeal to a wider audience you have them be more human... Still, I hope they might add some elements which adds a certain bestial charm to them.

vamp021.jpg

At the very least unnatural complexions! :P

d7886ba7e9b65f061b66179d39f450d8.jpg

Lf6MJUL.png

Meryk - Member

I think if Allison would design a gorgon serpentine archetype,it would not be 100 % human alike.

As she would try to keep some elements of the base creature,in this case the serpent.

I myself would prefer the base creature to be serpent,not lizard though

A while back there was another very interesting interview with her and how she goes about creating creatures;

The last picture you linked,the jaw detail is an example of an element that could be added to a serpentine race to get an overal cooler final form i think.

if ,for example,you would take this gorgon 

57JqSek.jpg

apply the jaw detail,and i think it would be much improved actually

Edited by Tipsy

This kind of reminds me of the lamia from Final Fantasy.

Might suite a mindflayer,hexer,necromancer type somewhat

KnUAMhg.jpg

Some glowing body/head marks in the style of the Jaffa serpent guard from stargate might blend in nicely

KqunMH9.jpg

When talking about a serpent archetype it might have influences from all kinds of creatures,like the Medusa,lamia and Naga,...,...

Found a nice one for some that want a serpent promotion with necrotic energy

6rHRv0e.png

Edited by Tipsy