Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

John Smedley Leaves Daybreak, Starts New Company...

VIKINGNAIL

I hope he makes something that is the real sequel to EQ, not this abomination that is EQ Next and burries his old company.

Well whatever he makes it is probably many years away... but I like smedley... a true gaming gunslinger.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Who does still believe in EverQuest Next?

Maybe he makes the real EQ N now, gets the guys from Storybricks back and everything will be fine again

And then the game which was presented to us in August 2013 and was totally mindblowing really could become reality

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

Maybe he makes the real EQ N now, gets the guys from Storybricks back and everything will be fine again

And then the game which was presented to us in August 2013 and was totally mindblowing really could become reality

The guys from storybricks ran into a brick wall... that's why their services were no longer needed. 

The guys from storybricks ran into a brick wall... that's why their services were no longer needed. 

Yes I think its really poor and well describing for the gaming industry nowadays, for there being no need of a company like Storybricks, which got a revolutionary AI, able to change gaming experience extraordinary and make an end to always the same game every single time.

Gaming industry was soo much better back in the days....

Edited by Urahara

Yes I think its really poor and well describing for the gaming industry nowadays, for there being no need of a company like Storybricks, which got a revolutionary AI, able to change gaming experience extraordinary and make an end to always the same game every single time.

Gaming industry was soo much better back in the days....

They had revolutionary ideas, the implementation wasn't going so well with EQN so SOE/DBG decided they'd handle all of that inhouse while still keeping the progress on stuff they worked with storybricks on. 

They had revolutionary ideas, the implementation wasn't going so well with EQN so SOE/DBG decided they'd handle all of that inhouse while still keeping the progress on stuff they worked with storybricks on. 

I dont think SOE/DBG canceled their cooperation with Storybricks because of that, I think they canceled it because Storybricks was trying to buy SOE but werent successful in the end. So the new owner was canceling the cooperation.

In my kind of view it was the biggest shame in gaming industry the last 5 years or so, that Sony didnt sell SOE to Storybricks but to an investment company, on whole other conditions then they offered to Storybricks.

So much to Sony as a "gaming company"...

I guess he could be trying to build a game like EQN, but it would probably mean starting from scratch, 3-4 years of development and millions of $.

I guess he could be trying to build a game like EQN, but it would probably mean starting from scratch, 3-4 years of development and millions of $.

I don't think he will try to build a game like EQN tbh... I think he'd more likely try to build something very pvp focused... but yea, whatever he would build would probably take many years unless he pulls some really magic. 

I honestly don't know if he still has enough of a reputation to succeed in any crowdfunding attempt either unless he has something revolutionary to show....

I don't think he will try to build a game like EQN tbh... I think he'd more likely try to build something very pvp focused... but yea, whatever he would build would probably take many years unless he pulls some really magic. 

I honestly don't know if he still has enough of a reputation to succeed in any crowdfunding attempt either unless he has something revolutionary to show....

I doesnt need to be a big game necessary

Well, so many planned features that was either implemented horrible (aiming, scope, 3rd person, missing animations,) or never saw the light of the day to expand the map for instance in H1Z1. 

I doubt that John was happy with the H1Z1 project, and I don't blame him.

Edited by mythx

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/

He can only blame himself for that and his crappy in-house Forgelight DX9 engine.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Well, so many planned features that was either implemented horrible (aiming, scope, 3rd person, missing animations,) or never saw the light of the day to expand the map for instance in H1Z1. 

Yes, I dont think SOE/DGC is a capable studio, they already have huge problems making games like Planetside 2 or H1Z1. A game like Everquest Next is for sure out of their league, especially with the abscence of Storybricks. As well as all the other good people who left the boat.

Edited by Urahara

Yes, I dont think SOE/DGC is a capable studio, they already have huge problems making games like Planetside 2 or H1Z1. A game like Everquest Next is for sure out of their league, esspecially with the abscence of Storybricks.

You see what is going on at Daybreak or former SOE. Nothing is really happening with their 'new' games right now and they are milking focusing on the older games only. This studio is standing with one leg in it's grave.

Smed was just smart enough to leave the sinking ship before it goes under. What he doesn't realize though is that he crashed the ship himself. I don't have any trust in his new company. Not that we know anything about it.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Well no, Smed left because of this case with the hacker group, which why ever decided to attack him personally, what is really stupid in my opinion, and what took off on that.

The people smart enough to leave the company already did so, when SOE was bought by the finance-investor company, and even before that when they were able to see what is coming. Many people left there the company already.

And with them gone, and Storybricks gone, an Everquest Next like it was presented to us, is for sure impossible to make for this studio.

Sony should have sold SOE to Storybricks, and everything would have been fine...

Edited by Urahara