Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Advancing The Narrative

So as of right now crowfall has a pretty barebones story. It's just enough to establish the premise of the game and the motivation for the player characters but not enough to really be called a story. At this point it is more of a primer for the players. Now this isn't necessarily a bad thing but I don't know how they would plan to advance it. Maybe they might try a warframe based approach and update the story via in game events but I'm not even sure the story needs to be updated at all. Just a little food for thought as I prepare to open my store.

Edited by Shunejii

So as of right now crowfall has a pretty barebones story. It's just enough to establish the premise of the game and the motivation for the player characters but not enough to really be called a story. At this point it is more of a primer for the players. Now this isn't necessarily a bad thing but I don't know how they would plan to advance it. Maybe they might try a warframe based approach and update the story via in game events but I'm not even sure the story needs to be updated at all. Just a little food for thought as I prepare to open my store.

I don't think they are worried that much about the story/lore right now... if a good reason for them to build upon it arises (perhaps they figure on expansions that offer a ton of new types of content) they will.... but I doubt they will go too deep with it.... lore is fun though, it was great in shadowbane, I wouldn't mind more...

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Mmmmh I wonder if some campaigns could be imbued with some lore.

I imagine a campaign that has a unique context, a unique story that somehow gives you more details about the world, and maybe progress though the lore.

That may probably be on an exceptional basis, but I would find that interesting and imersive.

We are now recruiting! Read more here!

o8WHnLc.png

I think that it would be ideal to advance the story through the actions of the players.  As some have noted, the current lore is really just setting the stage.  The ongoing story results from campaign developments.  It would be interesting and unique if ACE took story the players were already telling and lifted it into lore/canon.  When necessary, they could simply mold this into the narrative necessary for an expansion, for example. 

One caveat though--please don't destroy any sense of lore by making players or guilds with silly names part of the official story.  If these players do something extraordinary or interesting, by all means include them, just give them generic titles or creative recasting so that we don't end up with something completely dumb, a la "The mighty hero of Order, XxLegolasxX and his warriors from the kingdom of The Jedi Council vanquished destruction's most infamous war band, FiendshipPWNies--and the All Father was pleased!"

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Players:  "But, but that's not fair!  I/we have had this name since *insert antiquated mmo here*!  Besides, everyone knows me/us by that name!" 

ACE:  "We don't care.  Your name is stupid.  Besides, the only person who cares about your name is you.  You realize you took the name 'Shadowww' when you were 12, right?  You also realize the only reason you chose that name was because you lacked creativity, as did the two other people who got into the game before you?  We don't blame you--you were twelve.  However, you're 36 now, time to let it go." 

=      :wub: 

ACE

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

The only way I could see any sort of story progressing is through the gods and hunger.
Expanding the player backstory shouldn't be a thing, because we're all different people from different worlds and should be able to RP (if desired) the character we want to play, not told to play. Expanding the backstory and lore of the worlds we're fighting in would be ultimately pointless and too heavy on writing resources as they're only temporary things.
I do like the idea of expanding the lore (whether official or not) to include player exploits, but I also feel it shouldn't be too common, or else it could detract from truly great things. Though if something awesome happened, it'd probably remembered by the players, regardless if something like this were to be implemented or not.

231e101d88.jpg

Did you ever see the move Highlander?  Its about a couple of dudes running around Scotland trying to chop each other's head off. "There can be only one" is the catch phrase. You have no idea what that really means or why they are trying to chop each other's heads off, but the movie is great.  Then, they made Highlander 2 and a tv show.  These explained in detail the most re-tar-ded reasons of the whys and the wherefores of the character motivations. Interdimension aliens or somesuch. And in doing so actually time travelled backward in time to ruin the original movie in a way the einstein never predicted.

Another example: the song Mr Roboto.  Pretty catchy song, "domo arigato mr roboto".  Then, you watch the movie that explains what the words in the songs narrative really mean, and your brain melts and you can never listen to that song again without throwing up a little bit.

So maybe be careful on doing too much exposition.  Ignorance is bliss sometimes  :D

Edited by kroked

Maybe it would be cool that in-game players can find some segments of the lore books (Names, Shadows, Justice, Creation...) and those pages would progressively give us more information about the Hunger, our purpose on the worlds, the Gods, etc.

However, as kroked wrote, sometimes the less we know the better! 

Edited by courant101

Shadowbane didn't have any lore or story behind it, but the guild rivalries and alliances conflicts gave everyone memomorable stories to remember unique to any other MMOs. In this way, IMO shadowbane succeeded where no MMO has even done. With the current system, endgame in a shadowbane style game avoids server stagnantation. My only issue if the server is too one sided in the alliance than there will be no competition, so hopefully they already planned for this.