Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tlope

Shadowbane Vs Crowfall

Hey, never played Shadowbane here so I am wondering from what we've seen so far from Crowfall how comparable do the games seem to you? I know SB had the whole player cities and thralls did random crafting I think that was a very cool  feature that I hope is implemented very  similarly in CF. So tell me what you all think and what are the similarities and differences!

"Paint me like one of your French girls Jack"

-Unknown

The biggest difference is that crowfall will require mechanical skill because of the action combat... whereas shadowbane required minimal mechanical skill, even significantly less than most of the tab-target games that were coming out at that time. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

The biggest difference is that crowfall will require mechanical skill because of the action combat... whereas shadowbane required minimal mechanical skill, even significantly less than most of the tab-target games that were coming out at that time. 

So do you feel as if the CW in Crowfall will feel like Shadowbane? With player run cities and such?

-Unknown

So do you feel as if the CW in Crowfall will feel like Shadowbane? With player run cities and such?

No because the player behavior will be much different than it was in shadowbane because it is attracting a different kind of gamer (or at least a different kind of gamer will be excelling)

Do not listen to anything VN says. He is known for ignoring facts, being completely biased, refusing to partake in an actual discussion and refusing to provide some info to back up some things he says. 

For example. He said in the sb section that us SB players only played SB because we did not have enough skill to play anything else. 

Edited by Handies

Do not listen to anything VN says. He is known for ignoring facts, being completely biased, refusing to partake in an actual discussion and refusing to provide some info to back up some things he says. 

For example. He said in the sb section that us SB players on played SB because we did not have enough skill to play anything else. 

Out of respect for the OP let's try to stay on topic here.... 

If anyone can give me something they feel correlates from SB to CF that would be what I'm looking for.

-Unknown

If anyone can give me something they feel correlates from SB to CF that would be what I'm looking for.

If you could read the threads we've already discussed shadowbane at length for players who haven't played shadowbane:

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/244-can-someone-please-explain-shadowbane-to-me/

That would be what you're looking for.

There are a few things like open world PvP and a few names that are little more than SB easter eggs. CF looks to be radically different than SB was yet trying to catch the same spirit the game had.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Well you'll be able to kill other players and defend and destroy cities? 

The core concept of a strategic layer of territorial control on a PVP-focused MMORPG hasn't changed, but the implementation will be sharply different in a large number of ways.

"Sub or bane" will still be a thing.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

No hand holding on character creation, put the wrong points into the wrong skill and you screwed up, reroll.  That will be something similar.  Also I see a lot of SB players excelling at this game because of that, we have been playing a game of that nature for a long time.  Besides, not like this game takes precision movements and attacks in order to hit your opponent...  At least from what has been seen in the little game footage they've shown..

Formerly known as - AmazingTacoBurito

I guess it will become easier as they release more information on campaigns in CF. had to make some comparisons, I'm just really hoping for sandbox city construction in campaigns as to what I saw when looking at shadowbane information.

-Unknown

I guess it will become easier as they release more information on campaigns in CF. had to make some comparisons, I'm just really hoping for sandbox city construction in campaigns as to what I saw when looking at shadowbane information.

We don't know how much sandbox city construction will exist... they've talked about rebuilding from ruins... we don't know how free you are to place and build structures in the open world. 

But no matter what systems they have in place, it is important to understand that this game is in a different era than shadowbane.... That means you will have a completely different culture within the game with different standards and expectations. 

But no matter what systems they have in place, it is important to understand that this game is in a different era than shadowbane.... That means you will have a completely different culture within the game with different standards and expectations. 

If you mean different era by 2016 and not 2003, I don't really see any change other than the game will have a more diverse set of cultures.  Maybe as the game progresses and the people who decided they don't like the game begin to leave, you will get a set group of cultures, but that doesn't mean they will be completely different because you don't know who is going to stay and who is going to leave.  You can't turn speculation into fact like that.

Formerly known as - AmazingTacoBurito

If you mean different era by 2016 and not 2003, I don't really see any change other than the game will have a more diverse set of cultures.  Maybe as the game progresses and the people who decided they don't like the game begin to leave, you will get a set group of cultures, but that doesn't mean they will be completely different because you don't know who is going to stay and who is going to leave.  You can't turn speculation into fact like that.

The average pvper in 2016 behaves a lot differently than the average pvper in 2003. 

The average pvper in 2016 behaves a lot differently than the average pvper in 2003. 

not when they're the same pvpr :P

a lot will depend upon how things like city building, territory control and logistics (ie. how impactful are gear/food/etc.) get worked out.

i honestly think that the first stages of beta are going to be make or break for a lot of the 'more casual'...the '2016 pvpr'...as anecdotally, i think a fair portion of the ~3k alpha participants are sucky playing sb loyalists...and once that big blob of read meat (beta1) comes crashing into the servers they'll get their first ever taste of 'real' open world pvp.

it will be a real unknown how the faction/arena trained vets of wow/gw2/aa/etc. take to this environment.

Re: OP

I really believe they are setting out to make the spiritual successor to shadowbane...how they look to solve the two core reasons why sb failed will go a long way to determining how well they stick to that. Obviously i'm discounting the issue of 'bugs'...as i don't think anyone goes to to purposefully release a bugfilled monstrosity like sb was at release.

so 2 things.

1. SB ate its young. It was a brutal environment that required players have a guild, and a city to work out of. team play was an absolute mandate. so you got with a guild. you spent countless hours farming to build your city, rank buildings, trainers, etc. The big bad wolf comes by drops a bane on you, rips down your walls at 4am, and camps your tree with 4x your numbers from basement till bane live. You have no chance. city go boom. GL of your merry band of misfits says, F This, his/her core most follow suit. Your guild dissolves. You are not right back where you started. Homeless and guildless. A lot of players, at this point, simply say f it at this point and walked away and never looked back. In it's early years, i would say roughly 50% of the losing guild's population would disappear, and never come back. Losing was just too harsh. EK's are cf's solution...sort of...to this (can build something that can't be wrekt). 

2. Stagnation. In SB, it was possible to kill a server as most of the early-dominant release guilds demonstrated...and later the Chinese hordes that came once sb asia got shut down. It's like #1 on a server wide scale...but no where to run/rebuild...resistance was a daunting task, even for those conditioned to fighting uphill battles. CF hopes to alleviate this with servers that reset regularly. The challenge here will be to balance the task of creating/building assets on each server something that requires effort, but not so much that we dread a restart. It's easy to say, ok, Bob wins, and press the restart button...potentially a bit more difficult to get all those players to be chomping at the bit for another shot at the title. the line between, 'damn we almost had that one, can't wait for the next shot'...and, 'damn, thats hogwash, we should have had that if it weren't for those zerging cheating asshats at the end...custard this game'...is a pretty small one.

what i hope will be comparable is that pvp will be primarily group centric, with strengths and weakness of various arrangements and we get the feeling, like in sb, that your actions effected the game world permanently...no experience was ever exactly the same.

not when they're the same pvpr :P

They aren't the same pvper though... the pvp population in 2003 was many many many times smaller..... that small population is no longer the average...

We've also already seen how the current pvpers adapt to open world pvp in the survival genre... We also know that the game is action combat.

Crowfall may be unique within its genre when it comes out, but there are elements of it across many of the modern games that won't seem very unfamiliar to your avid and well-rounded gamers.

It will probably be easier for the newer gamers to adapt to crowfall than the people that don't play very modern games.