Ui Update: Billy's New Toys - Official Discussion Thread

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

good stuff, don't forget a "Lock" option

Billy "perfectdork" Garretsen returns with an update to show how the UI has evolved   FULL STORY

Other elements that are not on display in the video include inventory, character sheet, etc. We have those functioning and things still look nice and clean. Long term though, its unclear whether we wi

@hamopeche

Im all for simple, clean and minimal. Itd be kinda cool to let users generate their own container groups and nest containers within containers to make their own very custom inner menu systems. 

Ive just gone cross eyed.

Billy Garretsen - UX Design Lead, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

[Personal Portfolio]

The dream is to give you a transform rect with position, scale and rotation handles around every individual item as well as pinning and grouping capabilities to make custom blocks. That is not trivial. But Im working towards it....

I share this same dream...we just knew to figure out how to make it a reality :D

What does it take on the backend to allow scaling like windows where you grab a corner or edge to increase/decrease the size vs a sliding bar?

I share this same dream...we just knew to figure out how to make it a reality :D

What does it take on the backend to allow scaling like windows where you grab a corner or edge to increase/decrease the size vs a sliding bar?

Thats not a backend issue at all. With the Unity built in tools, I have access to all those attributes of the visual widgets. I didnt show our chat window in this latest video, but I already have it hooked up to not only drag, but you can take the lower right corner and resize the window entirely. For saving layout settings though, we would probably consider hosting that data so it stayed at the account level.

Billy Garretsen - UX Design Lead, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

[Personal Portfolio]

For saving layout settings though, we would probably consider hosting that data so it stayed at the account level.

OK, but please make the layout data exportable/importable on the user side as well. I might very well want to have different a different set of layout presets for the same account when playing on my desktop, docked laptop, or undocked laptop.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

OK, but please make the layout data exportable/importable on the user side as well. I might very well want to have different a different set of layout presets for the same account when playing on my desktop, docked laptop, or undocked laptop.

Or send someone your custom setup because they like it and want to use it.

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.

Very much liking what I'm seeing. I'm all for customization as long as it does not get to the point that it becomes a requirement for success, aka the Gladius/DBM etc that we have seen in other games. When it gets to the point that you need a custom UI to be effective in the game, then something has gone wrong.

I much rather a cleaner screen over the Gladius/DBM setups, too much clutter and "helpful tools" gets in the way.  

When I was playing WoW it felt more like I was just reading numbers and text off a screen rather than actually playing against a person or MoB due to all the addons almost required to play.

Edited by Wormboy

Wow, fantastic evolution in a short period of time! Keep up the good work and please keep showing us your progress :)

On a side note, the scene you chose to show us the UI is great. Catapults, trees, buildings in the background, and that superb yellow fire in the center, it's amazing! 

We are now recruiting! Read more here!

o8WHnLc.png

@Keaggan

I had individual sliders for scale, rotation, etc of each element but things broke. I have to do some coding (not my first talent) to get things to play nicely when grouped, as well as individually. Anyone who has done stuff like this has probably encountered anchoring offset nightmares that make you want to pull your hair out. For the sake of keeping things as stable as possible for our first public outing, I went ahead and limited the scale slider as a universal value.

The dream is to give you a transform rect with position, scale and rotation handles around every individual item as well as pinning and grouping capabilities to make custom blocks. That is not trivial. But Im working towards it....

I'd really like that bolded part and the ability to import/export templates between our various characters.  Good, clean work.

Er, what's "edging"?

Compass? I am sure some people will moan and groan about not knowing which direction they are going even though I think it's fun to be lost :)

Gordon's top secret CF toy in his office - he will never be lost in a campaign.  ^_^

The UI looks great by the way - it's important to have less information as possible on the screen - at least in large scale siege

events.COTS%20Military%20Tablet%20Computer%20MI

Edited by mythx

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/

Wow, really great.

Only thing left to wish i guess would be the option to turn bars into globes.

Like turning the health bar into a health globe.

So you can position a bit bigger health globe down in the center of the screen maybe.

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

I like the customization already available.

Is there any chance we can have the ability the change the orientation of UI items. Like the health and mana bar would be good if displayed vertically. Or with the stamina bar, I could have a triangle around the center of my screen. Changing colors could be really useful especially for colorblind people for which no color scheme can be good for all.

The idea of hamopeche about different appearance of indicators depending on status as a lot of potential. And I'm sure it could be expanded to allow setting different appearance per UI element depending on a list of status.

For example being able to set my health bar to green dot between 95 and 100% but a greenish small bar between 80 and 94 then yellow and normal for 50-79, orange and normal size for 20-49 and huge red for the last 20%. Or for the power icons, small if on cooldown, normal if usable and bigger when it is a combo. Or for a healing skill, bigger when health is 50% or less.

Yes it would mean adding some user enabled scripting to the UI.

Edited by arkh