Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Ui Update: Billy's New Toys - Official Discussion Thread

OH man.. 
I got SUPER excited when I saw you split up the health and mana bar like that...

Now.. can I make the bar look like the shape of my character's head? Could the shape then change as my health deteriorates so it kind of looks like I'm getting angry as I'm aproaching death? Will my health bar dance when I type the /dance command?

-Just kidding.. :P the way you did it is already pretty cool.. :P hehehe (besides.. I doubt you got the Skkkkkiiiillzzzzzzzz.. Mr. Perfectdork :P )

Lf6MJUL.png

http://www.legend-gaming.net

Pingu - Member

---------------------------"Winter is coming"---------------------------

Well done.  I love clean and streamlined UIs like this.  Honestly, this is one of the more exciting bits of info for me.  A good UI is important.  I can easily spend an hour adjusting the UI to my liking in a new game.

That was much better than I was expecting. Pretty blown away that this is just the tip of the iceberg considering a lot of MMO's don't have/didn't have this level of customization for years.

That right there is already my favorite UI I have seen in an MMO. Having the ability to move around and change the different UI pieces, the user will be able to make it the most comfortable UI for their personal needs. This will create a very powerful yet user-friendly interface that you rarely see at the moment.

that shadowbane-style customizable UI. it's gorgeous

Exactly - first thing I thought of as the power button was pulled out of the bar!  As a visual person I really want to push elements around on my UI based on function so this type of customization is much more to my liking than the typical MMO hotbar approach.

rSHxVEY.gif

OH man.. 

I got SUPER excited when I saw you split up the health and mana bar like that...

I never understand why the default character Icon and health bar in many MMOs is up in the left hand corner (did WoW start that?).  It is much more user friendly being in the center of the screen, preferably near the action bars in order to easily see cooldowns.

rSHxVEY.gif

I never understand why the default character Icon and health bar in many MMOs is up in the left hand corner (did WoW start that?).  It is much more user friendly being in the center of the screen, preferably near the action bars in order to easily see cooldowns.

Back in the old days when we only had 4:3 screens it was fine to see what was happening in the corners of your screen. But once the 16:10/9 screens became more popular the UI elements that once were perfectly visible moved outside your vision. Suddenly you needed to turn your head to see your health bar or unitframe. Addons that could move your unitframe became very popular.  :)

Edited by Canth

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Back in the old days when we only had 4:3 screens it was fine to see what was happening in the corners of your screen. But once the 16:10/9 screens became more popular the UI elements that once were perfectly visible moved outside your vision. Suddenly you needed to turn your head to see your health bar or unitframe. Addons that could move your unitframe became very popular.  :)

What @Canth said 

Billy Garretsen - UX Design Lead, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

[Personal Portfolio]

A couple of things I'd like to see in the UI; First, the ability to import/export settings and layouts to/from a file, which you could then share with your buddies. Second, modding support; That is, have elements like frames, graphics and scripts exposed to the user, such that users can modify them or even add in whole new elements. 

Edited by Psyentific

Hardcore gamer & tabletop enthusiast. Enjoys roleplaying, pretending to be stupid, and one-sided fun.

Goodposting 101: How to Keep the Forums Clean

It looks so amazing, If possible to include an option to change UI color like the health bar from 'green to red or any color' I'd appreciate that too!

Edited by Mox

SkDJEH9.png Discord: message me if you want to stay in touch. Retired CrowFall member.

Billy for you to be this far along on the UI obviously means that JTodd doesn't micromanage your work. Also you don't seem like a Dork, much less a perfect dork, so I feel kinda of cheated about that expectation.

However I love a clean minimal UI and you have certainly provided that. I have always thought players should be looking at the game world.

For a long time I have minimized the chat box as small as I can get it, or turned it off altogether if possible, or just generally ignored chat text because if they're not in my voice comms the information is not urgent, and most everyone today has the ability to use comms.

But some chat text info while not urgent, could be important. So if you are really looking for something to do, make a chat notification for those that opt to hide the chat box, kinda like we have here at the top of the forums.

If you don't plan on giving us an option to hide chat then I apologize for the silly idea I was just being a dork by trying to help.

Keep up the good work the UI looks great to me

Looking great so far ACE.

I think a great thing to add is that UI elements would snap (to the edges) and easy to align (in the center or to each other). Yes, I'm pretty OCD about that my power bar needs to be exactly in the middle of my screen.  ;)

I second this, a grid + alignment system is a must for us with OCD.

@hamopeche

It is too early to know exactly when the broader customization package will fall in place. The UI evolves as the game systems come online so a hardened, community driven solution (using java, html, etc) is not realistic until the game scope is set. Right now, the built in Unity UI tools are very clean, responsive and native, which means we are not fighting with them as we build and prototype. Think of what I am doing right now as commercializing a living blueprint. The final implementation will be just as clean, but lots more custom. For now, I am trying to open up as many options so folks can get in there and give me good feedback. 

My next UI priorities will shift away from Combat HUD to new subsystems we are not talking about just yet. The sooner we can stitch the entire Crowfall experience together end to end, the sooner I can get to adding all the bells and whistles we all want:)

Im the only one who got super excited of reading this? "new subsystems we are not talking about just yet."

Edited by 20kilo

mael4.jpg

Thanks for the update! I appreciate your openness in explaining your ideas and choices.

I love the minimalist aesthetic - MMOs (and really any other type of game) with lots of UI clutter drives me crazy - I want to see the action, not read the reports!  :)

"Ok, here's plan A: First, we hit 'em...and we keep hitting 'em 'till we can't hit 'em no more. Then we kick 'em...and we keep on kicking 'em till we can't kick 'em no more. By that time, I figure our arms are rested, so we hit em......"

- Every Dwarf Ever.

@perfectdork I figure I might as well ask this now, so I can have my hopes dashed as early as possible:

Will you be enabling multiple windows for the client so we can move UI elements to alternate windows, and thence to alternate screens?

I've never quite figured out why so few game developers are willing to do this. We only need the camera in the primary window, but gosh it'd be swell to have at least one additional window for other content, such as chat, guild lists, maps, and inventories. Will ACE Buck the Lame and give us multiple windows?

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.

Definitely looks solid.

hits all the points noted here

a nice added touch of awesomeness would be if we could toggle the format of some of the display icons...currently its all very rounded...a chunkier square look would be nice, or maybe it's the ability to 'just' change the dynamic of the display shape (like changing a line size). I'm sure it will be there, but color toggling for the display (chat?) items would also be nice.

hold out from ye old mud years was make sure the 'important' stuff splashed nice and bright across the screen.