Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Ui Update: Billy's New Toys - Official Discussion Thread

This looks fantastic. I'm a big fan of the large degree of UI customization that SWTOR has, and this one honestly looks even better.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

@perfectdork I figure I might as well ask this now, so I can have my hopes dashed as early as possible:

Will you be enabling multiple windows for the client so we can move UI elements to alternate windows, and thence to alternate screens?

I've never quite figured out why so few game developers are willing to do this. We only need the camera in the primary window, but gosh it'd be swell to have at least one additional window for other content, such as chat, guild lists, maps, and inventories. Will ACE Buck the Lame and give us multiple windows?

Moria has had this feature for decades. Time for MMOs to catch up with the state of the art set by the roguelike community.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Great work! Something so simple like this adds so much without a ton extra flashy things cluttering your screen. 

The biggest thing I am impressed about is the change happening to fast, you took the comments people had and applied them not in alpha 3 but in pre alpha. This stuff in most recent games isn't even a concern to their testing, yet you guys went the extra mile to make peoples testing experience better by creating a UI that they would enjoy looking at. 

Good job, keep up the good work.

KjUVOZg.png

Varius - Veteran Member of LG

Fantastic update! I love being able to customize my UI all goes hand in hand with no two players are the same so why lock them down to a specific screen for umpteen hours plus as you add more abilities it's always nice to switch things around a little! Thanks Billy ;-)

3e1fe97e6f8cb8b5d3e53745cdedd75a67909c97

Follow Us On Twitter ~ @SerratedGuild

I would like to see custom grouping (so I could pick a couple skills that maybe go with mana and put them aside without having to move each) and frame alignment (snap-to-grid) for my OCD self needing those thin bars in perfect level.

I like huge character sheets with lots of info, but I also like smaller sheets/lay-overs for some quick reference data.  I would suggest you include both.

As this is a PvP oriented game, I think having some flexible HUDs such as DPS, campaign scores, etc would also be good.  There are times you like to know that information but do not want to come to a halt to open hgue campaign windows.

Let's also not forget the always so important keybindings. Basically I want to able to (re)bind almost everything. Preset switches, info panes, movement. What I would like to see is mouse buttons acting as modifiers. Like mousebutton 4 functioning the same as alt, ctrl and shift.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Let's also not forget the always so important keybindings. Basically I want to able to (re)bind almost everything. Preset switches, info panes, movement. What I would like to see is mouse buttons acting as modifiers. Like mousebutton 4 functioning the same as alt, ctrl and shift.

Ideally, any recognizable input (or combination thereof) should be assignable to any user command.

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.

I like how the UI looks like, very simple and elegant. Now the customization... I'm not a fan of this kind of stuff, but as people on Slack explained, it can always be useful to move UI elements around and highlight some important information during large battles. I still hope not too much effort is put on additional heavy customization. Good job on all the UIs released so far.

About the healthbar discussion...

I have played games in the past (cant recall right this second which one it was) that changed the WHOLE image into a grayscale as you aproach lowered health...
That's an idea... and idea I like.. 

Other possible effects to considere as health deteriorates: Blurred edges with a focused center... diminishing focus.. image shakyness.. 

OH! I remember a game that did something similar to that.. Bortherlands!

Anyhow.. I'm sure someone here is gonna say that what Im saying, has nothing to do with UI, and rather.. game effects?
Well. to that someone, I say: YOU ARE PROBABLY RIGHT!

Lf6MJUL.png

http://www.legend-gaming.net

Pingu - Member

---------------------------"Winter is coming"---------------------------

No, changing the graphics or other user experience in order to communicate information about character state is absolutely part of a UI conversation. Grim Dawn has a similar effect.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

It looks very good already. It looks so much better than a lot of other MMO UI's.

There's one thing I have been wondering for quite some time though. What will it be like in Crowfall to "select a target"? In the video, there's already a setting for allied frames, but what about enemy frames?

We all know that it's action combat so there won't be hard-lock, but will there be some sort of focus frame where you can keep track of 1 enemy target to always see their HP/mana/stamina/buffs/debuffs/etc. as long as they are within range?

7ug90hM.png

Long term though, its unclear whether we will keep things as floating windows or if we will do a full takeover like Elder Scrolls Online or Witcher. There are benefits and constraints to both styles.  

Please don't limit the options.

While the ESO HUD was minimal it was not that great, and it really sucked you couldn't easily move things around to your liking.

Rage Quit

This is going to be amazing one everything is done. SWTOR spoiled me with this by allowing me to orient buttoms as they are on my naga epic mouse (3x4 grid instead of a line).

I'm really looking forward to seeing future updates with the UI

Do not wish it is easier, wish you were better.

A hero need not speak. When he is gone, the world will speak for him.