Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Ui Update: Billy's New Toys - Official Discussion Thread

About the healthbar discussion...

I have played games in the past (cant recall right this second which one it was) that changed the WHOLE image into a grayscale as you aproach lowered health...

That's an idea... and idea I like.. 

Other possible effects to considere as health deteriorates: Blurred edges with a focused center... diminishing focus.. image shakyness.. 

OH! I remember a game that did something similar to that.. Bortherlands!

Anyhow.. I'm sure someone here is gonna say that what Im saying, has nothing to do with UI, and rather.. game effects?

Well. to that someone, I say: YOU ARE PROBABLY RIGHT!

Right now as the player gets low on health, the screen edges become red and gnarly which is also a contemporary method of communicating danger or low health. If we need more effects we can add more. It comes down to whether it enhances the moment vs. becoming an annoying element preventing the player from seeing important world data. But as we polish up this alpha build, I have been adding a lot of in world elements to help communicate important info to the player which has made the game much more responsive and fun.

Billy Garretsen - UX Design Lead, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

[Personal Portfolio]

Right now as the player gets low on health, the screen edges become red and gnarly which is also a contemporary method of communicating danger or low health.

Gnarly, eh?  Lol.

I'm a fan of visual indicators.  Just give folks the ability to toggle them on and off, and I think you're golden with regards to worrying about whether it is annoying or not.

[@--(o.O)@]

Gnarly, eh?  Lol.

I'm a fan of visual indicators.  Just give folks the ability to toggle them on and off, and I think you're golden with regards to worrying about whether it is annoying or not.

They raise the adranaline, make everything much more exciting. I love visual indicators

Right now as the player gets low on health, the screen edges become red and gnarly which is also a contemporary method of communicating danger or low health. If we need more effects we can add more. It comes down to whether it enhances the moment vs. becoming an annoying element preventing the player from seeing important world data. But as we polish up this alpha build, I have been adding a lot of in world elements to help communicate important info to the player which has made the game much more responsive and fun.

Planetside patched their game to where if you were low on health, your screen got fuzzy and disoriented like you would near death (the assumption anyhow). The problem is, if I've got 300 hit points or so and as soon as I get down to 50 remaining, you might as well just kill me if you're going to incapacitate me at that point. Because, undoubtedly, someone is going to get in a kill shot in the next few seconds anyhow. Not like there's anything you can do to prevent the damage or even see where you're going. That's not a feature, that's just being trolled.

I stopped playing until they reversed it. Anyone who likes those features doesn't play a PvP game where they die alot.

Please please please have an option to turn things like that off. The same with screen flashes, screen shakes, etc.

7ug90hM.png

Please please please have an option to turn things like that off. The same with screen flashes, screen shakes, etc.

I agree with having the ability to turn off the informative stuff.

However, some of the stuff like screen flashes, if that's how the intend to implement blinds, means they will need to remain on.

[@--(o.O)@]

Could you also imagine an audible indicater when hitting a threshhold (maybe you can decide the threshhold yourself)? I really like that in Borderlands that a clearly hearable sound is played when your shields depleat. At least for me audible clues work better then visual ones.

I AM ME!
I love you all.

Looks really good, and I really like the direction you are going with the customization aspects.  I started thinking about what Other games I have played and what features were demanded/created by users in reguards to UI. So I thought I would take a look at WoW's top 100 Addons on Curse.com's website to see what the most popular MMO has allowed in requards to UI Needs that were applicable to crowfall:

• DPS/HPS meters (recount,skada, etc)
  • ability to leave notes from the map screen (handy notes)
  • consolidated/organizable Inventory (bagnon)
  • customizable combo/buff trackers ( IceHUD, power/weak aura's)
  • arena enemy name plates (gladiator)
  • customizable buttons and self-player info (bartender)
  • warning for abilities coming off of cooldown or super important (spellflash)
  • server wide player economy comparison (auctioneer)
  • Customizable enemy name plates (tidyplates)
  • resource node finder (gatherer)
  • enemy role identifier (battleground targets)

I think if some/all of these tools were built into CF from the beginning it would give it a major step up in terms of player customization a comfortability straight from launch.

It's a Huge 'Wish List', but I think these features would make the world PVP in Crowfall top tier! 

Side question: are you going to allow player created addons for in-game use?

Edited by Blender

I stopped playing until they reversed it. Anyone who likes those features doesn't play a PvP game where they die alot.

Just... stop dying dude! :P 

Hehehe.. just kidding..

Ok.. sure.. on/off button for dying effects.. Makes everyone happy...

I like the danger indicators.. means you dont have to constantly look at your health bar.

Another "tweak" to it would be allowing players to set the % they consider to be Danger zone... soo... if you dont want to be "annoyed" by the effect set it to 0%.. if you are a fairly conservative guy.. put it at 50%

--------------------

Blender made a list.

I thought that was a good initiative.. (Go Blender!)

Which addon you guys think is the MUST have feature from that list?

Lf6MJUL.png

http://www.legend-gaming.net

Pingu - Member

---------------------------"Winter is coming"---------------------------

Hey all, now that we are allowing folks to stream and take pics of the game in action, I thought Id share some of my current favorite UI layouts during the playtests.

1. The always reliable DEFAULT with CHAT window up at all times to see what my team is saying...

myui3.jpg

2. A compact stacked meter approach offset from the character. No power UI gives me a lot more focus on the action itself (really only useful if you memorized the power tray).

myui.jpg

3. My absolute favorite. Ultra minimal with a diamond layout centered under my character showing all relevant meters in one handy location.

myui_2.jpg

[Personal Portfolio]

I think I'd miss the timer cooldowns if I tried playing without the tray. You get a prettty good feel for power timing after a little while but sometimes it's nice to have visual confirmation that yes, that power you desperately need to be up is up .......NOW.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I think I'd miss the timer cooldowns if I tried playing without the tray. You get a prettty good feel for power timing after a little while but sometimes it's nice to have visual confirmation that yes, that power you desperately need to be up is up .......NOW.

Yeah, its made me contemplate a compact mode for the power tray. Its a rabbit hole. At the end of the day, all these options should be at your disposal to tweak as much as want.

[Personal Portfolio]

Yeah, its made me contemplate a compact mode for the power tray. Its a rabbit hole. At the end of the day, all these options should be at your disposal to tweak as much as want.

In the interests of not showing information the user doesn't want or need, give us not merely a compact option, but a contextualized indicator. That is, if the ability is available, you don't need to show anything to an experienced player, so don't show anything at all1. If the ability is on timer, then you show an intuitive countdown indicator. Combine that with a compact, ability-specific symbol, and you've got a functional, utilitarian interface that doesn't waste real estate.

If you show all abilities, and merely indicate which abilities are on timer, the user has to interpret the symbols to know what means what. If, on the other hand, the presence of any symbol at all in a given position means the associated ability is on timer, then there is no interpretation needed. You should still indicate how long is left on the timer of course, but the user doesn't have to interpret the symbol if she doesn't care. Suddenly, bars are obsolete2, as the user places individual abilities in contextually-meaningful locations, enhancing the immediacy of understanding the presence of a timer symbol and further minimizing the need to interpret.

Show the user only the information the user wants and needs.

1 If someone wants to lock everything on, fine, let them. This is a discussion about advanced interface.

2 Hooray! Finally!

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.