Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Combat Chat 4: The Hunger Dome - Official Discussion Thread

I don't want to die that often, but when I do, what will happen to my character? Will I get booted from the match? Will I be stuck on the spot where I die until the match is over? Or, am I able to roam around in a spectator mode?

Getting booted means you don't know who won the match which can be pretty fun to know, especially when you're among the last to survive. Spectator mode would be great, but I want to have the choice to leave to join a new match.

Any ideas?

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

So this is like a battle royal / h1z1 type rules set for a gear rush and position.  Does one team always get the shaft seeing how 50 doesn't split 3 ways?  Seems fun for a battleground/instance.

The Hunger Dome with sword & magic is an awesome idea, and a good friend of me suggested this when he watched me play Battle Royale in H1z1. What about BR with sword and magic in Crowfall? And now this announcement! I'm very excited! :)
It's a very popular contest in both Arma games and survival in H1Z1 even though it's both a shooter which have a very high skill set (competition.)

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/

Nah, he's just British. 

I think he's just annoyed that they change the name to "Hunger Dome" instead

I think the better name should be "Tully's little game of revenge" since Tully is being tricky

Edited by EDM

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

Screen_Shot_2015_08_27_at_1_42_28_PM.png

The sound of heaven descends, oh wait nevermind it's just rain

-- Tully

Edited by EDM

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

Everything sounds pretty exciting except the "possible long term rewards for winners of the Hunger Dome".

Seems a bit like rubbing salt in the wound for folks that can't afford the cost of getting into the alpha.  Not only do they miss the Royale but they also miss out on having a chance to win permanent stuff. 

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

I know you said this Hunger Dome game mode isn't intended for launch but please don't scrap the idea completely of having it as some form of arena mode or quick campaign (30 min or less) for fun and absolute minimal reward. Measures would have to be taken to make sure this isn't the main played area of the game, like battle royale is for h1z1, but I think it would still be a nice addition to the final game.

I know you said this Hunger Dome game mode isn't intended for launch but please don't scrap the idea completely of having it as some form of arena mode or quick campaign (30 min or less) for fun and absolute minimal reward. Measures would have to be taken to make sure this isn't the main played area of the game, like battle royale is for h1z1, but I think it would still be a nice addition to the final game.

how about we start treating the game like an MMO for a change...

Everything sounds pretty exciting except the "possible long term rewards for winners of the Hunger Dome".

Seems a bit like rubbing salt in the wound for folks that can't afford the cost of getting into the alpha.  Not only do they miss the Royale but they also miss out on having a chance to win permanent stuff. 

On the flip side, it encourages people to spend money that they might not have spent otherwise, which is similar to buying expansion packs or special outfits, or special mounts in other games.  Those things are not rubbing salt in the wound of people who can't afford them, just adding value to things are spending money on.

On the flip side, it encourages people to spend money that they might not have spent otherwise, which is similar to buying expansion packs or special outfits, or special mounts in other games.  Those things are not rubbing salt in the wound of people who can't afford them, just adding value to things are spending money on.

At this point of testing I think it's often counter-intuitive to overemphasize winning the matches though.  It makes people pretty much gravitate to perceived OP playstyles or choices and not really test the other stuff as much. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Great video guys! I can't wait to see the streamers with all of the hunger dome stuff. Wish I could join in but that's a bit too much cash for me to go into a pre-alpha.

Hope everyone has fun!

Do not wish it is easier, wish you were better.

A hero need not speak. When he is gone, the world will speak for him.

At this point of testing I think it's often counter-intuitive to overemphasize winning the matches though.  It makes people pretty much gravitate to perceived OP playstyles or choices and not really test the other stuff as much. 

At this point in testing, I think the options are limited enough for it to not matter.  Again, it comes down to what they are testing for that particular test, but regardless of what they want to test, people will remain competitive.

In the video they said you could get stuck on the short straw team so 50 players is the cap.

They also said "Grouping/teams (up to 16 teams, three people per team)" in the last founders update.

You could still end up with a short-straw team if the game did not fill to capacity, even if the cap really is 48.

IhhQKY6.gif

This is great news.

I have tested many games, some that never made it out of production, and I came to the conclusion that I would rather play finished games. The benefit of learning bits and pieces of game mechanics prior to launch is a huge tactical advantage, but for me play testing degrades my experience of discovery in a new game.

However...

Thanks to the lack of a NDA I can get that tactical info and watch how the game develops from the humble beginnings of the Hunger Dome. I expect there will be plenty of streaming footage from YouTubers involved with Alpha testing. Yes I'm looking at you Ziz.

So you first round of game junkies enjoy yourselves and I will see ya when the game gets to beta something.  

It's nice to see us getting into practical, and not theoretical design here. I love both, but it is interesting to see how the team handles each!

(also, California really needs some of that rain! why are you getting it in texas!!!)

Might I interest you in a low-interest mortgage?