Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Combat Chat 4: The Hunger Dome - Official Discussion Thread

Awesome chat! Can't wait to see some footage..

On a side note - I am super sad to hear that there are "spawn points". That means my vision of "randomly spawning" at the beginning of the campaign "somewhere in the world" isn't true. :(

Which means, after many campaigns, people will be able to start predicting where they will spawn in, and plans can be made.

I really wanted to see the ability to truly randomly spawn anywhere in the map, so long as the terrain allows it. Spawn Points tend to follow the traditional game rules and lead to spawn camping. True randomness would eliminate that!

Just because we don't have random spawning in yet, doesn't mean it won't ever happen. Remember, this is pre alpha milestone 1. if I listed all the things we still want / have to create for the final game I'd be here all day!

Also, its damn near impossible to predict where you'll spawn on a randomly generated map. 

Edited by Kiro Elmarok

[TB] The Balance
Nation of Equilibrium

If anyone's gonna be streaming this, PM me please.

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/4649-alpha-beta-streamer-directory/

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

is there any information, or an application, for getting in on the testing group, and or when those who aren't in the testing group will get a chance in the game?

Alpha 1 backers will be able to test the Hunger Dome:

We’re currently doing daily team internal testing and polishing of the Pre-Alpha Combat Test.  We’re going to start introducing backers with the Pre-Alpha reward into this same process, which means you’ll be playing alongside the development team.

We will likely do multiple rounds of Pre-Alpha Combat Testing with the backers that have the Pre-Alpha reward. This will take at least a week – we won’t know exactly how long, because it depends on how well the tests go. When we see that the Pre-Alpha Combat test version is solid, and we are ready to scale up participation, we’ll start inviting the backers with an Alpha 1 reward to join in!

Expanding the test to include Alpha 1 players will happen in groups (of 50 to 100, most likely). Access will be granted in (chronological) pledge order.  You will get an email with the details you need at least 24 hours in advance of your first test. Everyone with an Alpha 1 reward will get multiple opportunities to test! 

There isn’t a pre-set schedule for exactly how many players we will add to any given test, or exactly whenwe’ll invite the next group.  We will add players as we need to, and as we can, until all Alpha 1 backers have gotten access.

Source: https://crowfall.com/#/news/founders-update-pre-alpha-news

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

is there any information, or an application, for getting in on the testing group, and or when those who aren't in the testing group will get a chance in the game?

Currently, the only way I know to get into the tests for the Hunger Dome is to pledge at a Sapphire level, either by getting a 2015 Sapphire bundle, or by purchasing $500 of items from the Crowfall store. For Alpha 2, Amber is required or a total purchase of $250 (or $275, I don't remember).

The players who registered recently on the website are automatically assigned to Beta 7 group, if I'm correct. There is no estimated date for when the testing phases begin, it will depend on how the tests go and how much time the developers need for every phase. The only dates given were end of summer for the Pre-Alpha and December 2016 for the release of the core module. The testing groups so far, in order : Pre-Alpha, Alpha 1-3, Beta 1-7.

Edited by courant101

It may be impossible to predict, but once players have found a spawn point, they will likely take care to let allies know and camp this spot for 2 months.  :P

Definitely agree the graveyard will be camped. :) (Embargo even more so)

[TB] The Balance
Nation of Equilibrium

It may be impossible to predict, but once players have found a spawn point, they will likely take care to let allies know and camp this spot for 2 months.  :P

Interesting that you bring up spawn points,
Fixed locations for spawn point sound bad to me,because of stuff like spawnpoint camping,.
Perhaps spawn points should be different for each game mode to serve a different purpose.Each mode may beg for a different & complementing respawn rule 

for hungerdome, the game might give the player different respawn options;

Revenge:
This respawn option will let you respawn within a closer radius of your executioner.
the player that defeated you will be notified you are after blood.
Essentially you thus respawn with the purpose of hunting down a specific target.
Fail and you will be taking less loot back to your EK,blinded by your rage.
Succeed and you will win a % of the target's earnings at the end.

Roam:
This will let you spawn into the wild,in a place where there are little to no other players
You get a bonus to treasure findings,until you encounter enemies.At least you can always try if the game is nearing its end,and all you've found is dust so far..

Retrieve:
This will let you spawn near a place where you are likely to find something useful against a difficult enemy.
If you defeat an enemy that stole an item from you with the useful item/object,you get it back.

For another type of game mode like 'conquest',each archetype could have their own dwelling.
So each faction manages their own repawn locations ,but they have to be in own territory.
Still,as you gain territory and advance,respawn points can change.
Each archetype can have max 2 respawn dwellings up at a time.
Edited by Tipsy

Revenge:

This respawn option will let you respawn within a closer radius of your executioner.
the player that defeated you will be notified you are after blood.
Essentially you thus respawn with the purpose of hunting down a specific target.
Fail and you will be taking less loot back to your EK,blinded by your rage.
Succeed and you will win a % of the target's earnings at the end.

That made me think about ACE discussing the revenge mechanics from MUD / UO in an interview. If we can have something like that in Crowfall, that fosters the emergent gameplay after a player die, it could be great. Not sure about the beheading stuff... especially not after looking at the Minotaur image.  :mellow:

Oh that is an interview i missed..

After seeing the combat milestone I think I have the wrong picture for a complementing respawn ruleset for hungerdome.

Since it are 3 groups going against each other while the hungerdome closes in on them over time.

So the hungerdome may be in need of a respawn rule that especially caters to the 3 groups battling it out.

Thats what I meant with a respawn ruleset that complements the game mode.

Set up camp -return to camp 

Each camp can be destroyed by an enemy group and you need resources to be able to set up a new camp.

The more members are with you ,the quicker camp will be completed.

Camps give a bonus to your health or stamina overtime ,like you'll get 120 % stamina if you camp there for 2 mins.

Regroup

If you lost other group members and notice your team mates being killed off ,while you'll likely follow soon

The group leader can select regroup.

Once you are all killed,you'll respawn together at a waysign.This allows the leader to rally the group which gives a boon.

Scavenger hunt

You'll respawn at an area where no other groups are present when you notice one group outgears you,

Allowing the group to search for equipement.

When respawning for a scavenger hunt you go in a sneak/harder to detect mode for 1 minute.

Beheading maybe in gods reach,so you can offer enemy's bodyparts to the gods xD

Since it are 3 groups going against each other while the hungerdome closes in on them over time.

So the hungerdome may be in need of a respawn rule that especially caters to the 3 groups battling it out.

Correction-- the Hunger Dome is not limited to 3 groups.  There can be up to 16 teams in a match, and the teams consist of 3 players each.

IhhQKY6.gif

Oh right,I thought it was more but forgot the exact numbers..probably little is set in stone number wise,for now at least..

would the scale of the map and the hungerdome increase,the more teams take part in it?

Would the defeat notifications become annoying with like 16 teams?

If they want the hungerdome to feel like a survival last-one standing mode ,few teams might be desirable..if they rather want the hungerdome to feel like a huge chaotic massacre ,16 teams might be desirable

Unless the map and dome scales with the amount of groups,the amount of teams participating would give another feel to what the hungerdome mode is.

Is it the intention that each group gets the time to equip themselves with things they find on the way?

How much space do they want to give each team to get acclimated within a hungerdome match?

There are so many questions left unanswered and things in need to be tested,I think numbers actually matter little.

Matches are only a half hour. If you die early, use your follow camera to learn how to play better. No need for respawning.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Hungerdome might be a mode without respawning for all we know.Some would love that,others would hate it.

Although in the milestone vid I had the impression that the ones who died rejoined the battle...

Instant death/permadeath vs respawning is perhaps a topic on its own 

and perhaps both should be possible with better rewards for when you are the last one standing in a hungerdome match with permadeath ruleset.

vs a softer match that allows respawning.

Risk vs reward 

Edited by Tipsy