Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
draco_nite

Let players name terrain features (rivers, mountains, etc)

If we've got maps (I hope we have maps of some kind), we're going to need some kind of references. Theoretically, we could just go by names of fortresses and such, but I'm not sure if that's going to be enough.

Why not let the first person to discover a given place name it? Or let whoever controls an area name it?

If we've got maps (I hope we have maps of some kind), we're going to need some kind of references. Theoretically, we could just go by names of fortresses and such, but I'm not sure if that's going to be enough.

Why not let the first person to discover a given place name it? Or let whoever controls an area name it?

This would be far more interesting in an undying world. Not sure why this would even matter in a onr month campaign.

I would love this feature, but I understand people would abuse it..always.

How about a preset/preapproved list of names that the explorer could choose from. I know creating & maintaining this list might be a pain (so it probably won't be implemented) but it'd add a nice bit to the game.

Do not wish it is easier, wish you were better.

A hero need not speak. When he is gone, the world will speak for him.

I'd support this feature.  Have the first person to discover a region be partially named after their character.  By using the character name you can ensure some sort of screening has been done on the content of the name, so it kind of puts that fear to rest.

The biggest reason for wanting this feature would be what it would encourage.  I really can see the beginning of campaigns where alliances and guilds stick together and start to hoard materials in small areas building up their new CW toon.  That's not very fun.  Having some sort of recognizable achievement for going out early and exploring the map would foster more PVP as it'd get people out and about in the CW.

[@--(o.O)@]

Right, but what happens if one particular character explores a lot of the map, then you get everything named "Bobs Mountain", "Bobs River", "Bobs Fjord", "Bobs Plateau" etc.

I'd almost just lean more towards letting users just name them whatever they want and have a screening process and give the ability for complaints to be issued against names that would be flagged for review by GMs. That'd make it a true sandbox feature.

Right, but what happens if one particular character explores a lot of the map, then you get everything named "Bobs Mountain", "Bobs River", "Bobs Fjord", "Bobs Plateau" etc.

I'd almost just lean more towards letting users just name them whatever they want and have a screening process and give the ability for complaints to be issued against names that would be flagged for review by GMs. That'd make it a true sandbox feature.

Good on Bob then.  Or limit it to one place per campaign, and if you discover a second location per CW then give it a randomly generated name.

The overhead to do a manual screening process would be quite the ordeal and not very effective for a cosmetic feature.

[@--(o.O)@]

Id say just use a drop down list like Jihan suggested, It can have a large number of randomly generated names to choose from, but their should be a subscript titled Founder for the areas and it should list the person who discovered it

ie: I find a Mountain area, it gives me two dropdowns 1 for the nameing and one for the type. So for the name i get a list (Fuji, Crawford, Hive, etc.) then a type (Mountain, Ridge, Peaks, other names for mountainous areas)

Then i can select the two i want, so lets say i pick Hive and Ridge (Hive Ridge) and there is the name, then under the name it shows in tiny text Founder: Shadoww

That way people still have some controll over the name, and still get recognition for being the first explorer to discover americ... i mean the campaign world regions

Id say just use a drop down list like Jihan suggested

You're killing me smalls.Look one post up!

:P it's ok though, it's a good idea.

Edited by Vox

With miles of map, hundreds of players, and maybe dozens or hundreds of features to name, if Bob can do that, Bob is a bad dude. Anyone that doesn't like it will just have to beat Bob to the punch in the next campaign. It'll encourage gameplay. You know there'll be people competing to see who can have the most features on the map with their name on it. And to get your name, you'd have to find a specific spot on the river, mountain, cave, etc.. Edited by ZaphodBeeblebrox

Welcome to Fort Moist Towelette, at the mouth of the Blaze It river, located just south of the Wingdings forest, and east of the Bailey's J pass of Mt. Mandingo.

But in reality it would be nice to name a keep that you built, or have a number of presets that you could choose from (thinking more 2-3 text boxes to make a name using common words like colors, instead of being forced to choose between Skunkfart and Skullduggery for a keep name)

Landmimes, the silent killer.