Duraeon

Late to the party

Hello all!

I'm unfortunately late to the party but glad I am here.

Little background: I was involved in cyber gaming in leagues (online leagues and LAN tournaments) back in the 90s-early 00s playing counter-strike while it was still in beta. I never got into CS:GO and all that though. Took a hiatus from gaming for several years, got back into it with skyrim. I tried WoW but just never got into it. SWTOR I really enjoyed, the single player story lines in that game are very strong. Both WoW and SWTOR end game focused around grinding to get better gear. Grinding to get gear and running the same raids over and over again is not the type of end game I am into.

Then ESO, my beloved ESO. Still the game I am currently playing until CF comes out. Update 5 of ESO was the best game I have ever played in my life. Then update 6 came and many very bad design choices were made to break all the balance in the game. Update 7 is doing more things to strengthen group-play and remove a lot of individual skill from the game; smaller groups used to be able to take out much greater numbers - still can but they continue to make it more difficult with each update. ESO is a game where if you had a great understanding of mechanics and your opponents didn't, you could impressively 1vX. Gear is also not super important, you can easily gear up and not have to do a gear grind to be competitive. The champion system did however break all forms of balance in the game so new players don't stand a chance. So, enough about that game.

Many ESO players are waiting for the next great AvA game. Tri-alliance warfare is great, with sieging/objectives, and being able to hop in and leave when you want without having to queue for instanced arenas. I love that. That said, I'd still like to see arenas and dueling as options. Many ESO players mentioned Camelot Unchained. I checked that out, played a little of the pre-alpha early build. I don't think I will like that game as much as this one based on what I have seen so far. I really enjoy action-oriented combat where combat moves faster, direction controlled by mouse movement, no ability cooldowns without 30+ abilities on your bar(s). Tab target, WoW styled combat does not appeal to me.

I am also excited by the EKs in CF. I do enjoy time spent on player housing and the potential for this to be social and merchant hubs is great. I plan on building my EK up and making it public and hopefully as a place where a lot of people will want to hangout.

I look forward to playing with everyone and then I'll have a better idea if there's a guild out there I can join forces with or if I should start my own and try to pull some of my ESO guildies over into this game.

Cheers!

Edited by Duraeon

Thanks! I normally get into games at the late beta phase, so I'm early this time around. I do remember being in a shadowbane guild before that game came out but I don't remember what the name was. Remember it was RP based and used a mIRC channel though lol. Name was "Ashan'rai" if anyone happens to see it by random chance.

I will update my original post, I have played both pre-alpha builds of crowfall and Camelot unchained, and my suspicious were correct. I much prefer the playstyle in this game. Where it will be interesting is to see which game will be able to support hundreds of players on the screen at once. ESO is a total fail at this. This is partly because of the playerbase who stacks on crown/group leader and spams AoE. CF has player collision and friendly fire depending on the CW rules so that shouldn't be a problem here. CU also has player collision, and CU has a good chance of supporting hundreds of players because the combat in that game is incredibly, painfully slow... like think less than one ability per second, no movement while casting lol. Ultimately, this will probably be the make or break aspect of both games.

Welcome, welcome. If you haven't checked em out yet, I'd recommend these 2 fan sites. 

Angry Crows

The Dregs

If you happen to be a streamer you can register and maybe pick up some extra views over at The Dregs.

Nice to have you aboard! Also, thanks for the combat synapses between the games. I was curious about the pacing of CU. 

Welcome Duraeon!

It seems like you're coming to Crowfall with a very solid idea of what you're looking for.  Hopefully you'll get to see at least some of that come to fruition.  

I haven't been able to participate in any recent pre-alpha tests for CU but it sounds like not a lot has changed in terms of combat since the last time I was involved.  Appreciate the update on that front!

Thanks for the welcome and info.

I do hope that CF will allow for more skilled and organized players to be able use strategy and skill to beat larger numbers of unorganized players but we will see how that shakes out. Hopefully, it doesn't end up just being a numbers game.

Not late at all! Great timing actually! :) Looking forward to playing/meeting you in there. Grats on the Diamond backing, that's awesome.

Haha yeah, I was really contemplating which package and I really wanted to do the pre-alpha so went with diamond. And now pre-alpha is over, so I could have gone with the lower package with access to alpha 1 lol

Haha yeah, I was really contemplating which package and I really wanted to do the pre-alpha so went with diamond. And now pre-alpha is over, so I could have gone with the lower package with access to alpha 1 lol

Still!! I thought I spent a lot and I only got Sapphire. You're insane! :P All those perks though, that's got to still be exciting. And you'll have a leg up on how combat works when the rest of us Alpha 1 noobs get in.

Kind of depends on how relevant EKs are to the game, still a lot to be seen about that but my mountain citadel will probably look pretty cool.